Windows laptop are plentiful and popular, and choosing the right one for your needs can make all the difference in your personal and professional life.
Competition abounds in every sphere of the computing world, from graphics cards to CPUs, displays to operating systems. Despite such competitive dynamics, Windows continues to reign and hold its own special place for many users.
Today, when you head out to purchase a computer, you are likely to be faced with the million-dollar question: Windows or Mac OS? Traditionally, Mac has been popular with creative folk and art students.
Animators, photographers, filmmakers, etc., lean toward the audio-visual grandeur that Mac delivers and how.
It also boasts of design superiority and has consistently committed to standing out when it comes to build and construction.
Windows, on the other hand, has had a more stoic reputation. It has a business ring to it and has been the preferred choice of many students and young professionals.
However, a lot has changed in recent times. Mac has become more mainstream and aligned itself with the needs of versatile audiences.
Windows, too, has embraced the latest multimedia technologies and become more adept at catering to contemporary needs such as wireless streaming and content editing. This is why choosing between the two is more complex than ever.
- Our Picks: 10 Best Windows Laptop 2021
- 1. Dell XPS 13 9310 Touchscreen Laptop
- 2. Acer Swift 3 SF314-42 Laptop
- 3. HP Pavilion 15-eg0021nr Budget Laptop
- 4. Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L Laptop
- 5. Acer Predator Helios 300 Budget Gaming Laptop
- 6. ASUS Zenbook 15 UX534FTC Lightweight Laptop
- 7. Razer Blade 15 Windows 10 Gaming Laptop
- 8. ConceptD 3 Ezel CC314-72G-72SX Convertible Laptop
- 9. Surface Laptop 3 Windows 10 Laptop
- 10. Surface Pro 7 Tablet Laptop
- Mac OS or Windows?
- Top Reasons to Purchase a Windows Laptop
- Closing Note
Our Picks: 10 Best Windows Laptop 2021
In this article, we have collected the ten best Windows laptops in the marketplace today, across form factors, screen sizes and budgets.
Most of the big names in the computing world have products that run on Windows, largely because it remains the operating system of choice for many audiences.
You should take a pick based on your priorities such as performance, portability and display. That said, you will be getting home the familiarity and user-friendliness of Windows, infused with some of the finest technologies in computing.
1. Dell XPS 13 9310 Touchscreen Laptop
The 13” Dell XPS 13 9310 is ruling the roost among Windows laptops for its all-round performance and beautiful display.
This laptop is driven by a powerful Intel Core i7-1185G7 processor, 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.
The FHD+ display is a sight to behold, with its anti-glare panel, narrow-bezel design (screen-to-body ratio of 91.5%), 500-nits brightness and Corning Gorilla Glass protection.
Complementing the immersive screen is a competent audio system: Waves MaxxAudio Pro and 3D virtual surround sound. Note: You can also opt for a 4K Ultra HD+ display that delivers a color gamut of 100% sRGB and 90% DCI P3.
Making day-to-day life simpler is a host of connections, including Thunderbolt ports, Killer Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth and an SD card reader.
Dell also provides a backlit keyboard to enable you to work in any environment and a fingerprint reader for security in shared workplaces. At 2.65lbs and 0.58”, this computer is exceptionally light and sleek and fits into backpacks perfectly.
Bonus: A four-element-lens webcam with temporal noise reduction—perfect for business people who need excellent performance during video calls.
2. Acer Swift 3 SF314-42 Laptop
It is integrated with the Windows operating system and is quite thin and lightweight, making it a lot easier for you to carry it around without any hassle.
The most important factor in this device is likely the powerful processors.
It is powered by AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor with Radeon Graphics that assure smoother performance without any hassle. As for the display, it is equipped with a 14” FHD widescreen IPS display with a screen resolution of 1080p.
In case you are wondering about the storage options, it is integrated with 512GB SSD for storage and 8GB RAM for effortless user experience. It also supports 11.5 hours of usage.
3. HP Pavilion 15-eg0021nr Budget Laptop
HP is known for their durable and multi-functional laptops and the HP Pavilion 15-eg0021nr is the best option for that.
It is priced under $1000, which is soothing for the budget, but the features justify the price you pay.
As for the display, it is equipped with a 15.6” diagonal FHD display with an 81% screen to body ratio and a screen resolution of 1080p. The device is powered by the 10th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor with Intel Turbo Boost technology for smoother functions.
It is also integrated with 512GB SSD along with 16GB RAM for smoother user experience as well.
4. Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L Laptop
If you are on a shoestring budget, the 15.6” Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L can be a good fit.
It is powered by an AMD Ryzen 3 3200U processor, 4GB RAM, a 128GB SSD and Vega 3 graphics. The operating system—Windows 10 in S Mode—ensures a responsive and swift experience.
Although this is a cheap laptop, it manages to offer a decent display: an FHD screen with an IPS panel. The full screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 lets you immerse yourself in the content by keeping all the details intact.
Acer has guaranteed that you can use this computer on the go by equipping it with a backlit keyboard and up to 7.5 hours of battery life. Moreover, since it is quite light at 3.97lbs and has a thin profile measuring 0.7”, you can carry it with you comfortably.
5. Acer Predator Helios 300 Budget Gaming Laptop
The Acer Predator Helios 300 is one of the best available options. For a device that’s packed with so many high-end features, it is priced under $1,200.
This 15.6” FHD IPS-Type display is powered by the 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H processor along with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU for smoother and efficient performance. The display has 240Hz refresh rate with 3ms overdrive response time.
The best part of this device is the 4-zone RGB backlit keyboard. It is also integrated with 512GB NVMe SSD for storage along with 16GB DDR4 RAM for efficient memory options. The thermal system is backed by the 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan for further improved performance.
6. ASUS Zenbook 15 UX534FTC Lightweight Laptop
In the 15” screen-size space, the icicle-white ASUS Zenbook 15 UX435FTC is a wonderful option.
It combines processing strength with a glamorous display, making it suitable for a variety of pursuits from business to creative projects.
Driving the proceedings is an Intel Core i7-10510U CPU, 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. The FHD monitor uses a narrow-bezel design to deliver a screen-to-body ratio of 92%.
You also get a dedicated graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650. This makes this laptop well-suited to gaming and other multimedia endeavors.
A particularly charming feature of this 2.8lbs device is its secondary display—the Screenpad 2.0—that majorly boosts your multitasking ease and productivity. You can also turn this into a numeric keypad if you wish to input numbers quickly.
It is a well-constructed laptop, adhering to the MIL-STD-810G military standard. There’s an ergonomic hinge that contributes to improved audio, more comfortable typing and efficient heat dissipation.
7. Razer Blade 15 Windows 10 Gaming Laptop
Given how amazing their services are and how innovative models they come out with, it is no surprise that we had to mention the Razer Blade 15 2020 in the list of the best Windows laptop.
That said, if you rely on Windows as an operating system and you have been on the lookout for a gaming laptop, this is hands down the best option for you.
Apart from the Windows 10 operating system, the device is also powered with Intel Core i7-10750H processor along with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GPU for smoother and effortless performance without any complaints at all.
It is also equipped with a 15.6” FHD thin bezel display for faster performance beyond your imagination.
If you are wondering about the storage and memory options, the device is equipped with 256GB SSD for storage along with 16GB RAM for memory.
8. ConceptD 3 Ezel CC314-72G-72SX Convertible Laptop
It features a modern design with a stunning all-white exterior that pays off for the price you pay.
It is also quite different than your standard laptops with the innovative Ezel hinge that allows you to choose from 6 different modes.
The device is powered by the 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H processor along with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU with 4GB dedicated VRAM for effortless gaming experience.
The studio laptop also features a 14” FHD display with IPS Corning Glass protection. It is a PANTONE validated display with 400 nits brightness.
The ConceptD 3 Ezel is integrated with 512GB PCIe SSD for storage along with 16GB RAM for smoother performance without any glitch.
9. Surface Laptop 3 Windows 10 Laptop
It comes in glorious colors like sandstone and platinum and has an invisible hinge design for great responsiveness.
But it also offers stunning performance through an AMD Ryzen 7/Intel Core i7 CPU and long-lasting battery life (11.5 hours).
You can easily use this laptop on the run, thanks to quick-charging support that lets you run up to 80% in an hour. The RAM support is 16GB, and you can choose SSD storage up to 1TB.
On the display front, you get a touchscreen with ten-point multitouch. Lightweight and compact at 2.79lbs and 0.57”, the Surface Laptop 3 also includes inbuilt USB-C ports to keep you connected.
It is a great mix of familiar Windows features like OneDrive and Office 365 along with terrific add-ons like Dolby Audio.
10. Surface Pro 7 Tablet Laptop
You can use it in multiple modes like tablet and studio, adapting the device to the need of the moment.
An Intel Core i7-1065G7 processor, up to 16GB RAM, and up to a 1TB SSD come together to provide exemplary speed and performance. You get up to 10.5 hours of battery life—fabulous for anyone who wants substantial unplugged usage.
The display supports touch, letting you use a Surface pen intuitively. It also offers ambient light sensing that helps to adjust the imagery to deliver an optimum viewing experience.
This is a super-light device weighing only 1.7lbs. That is, almost literally, feather-light, granting you the comfort of travel and working on the run. Responsiveness is excellent with an instant-on feature that lets you get things done pronto.
- 10 Best 13 Inch Laptops
- The 10 Best 15 Inch Laptops
- Top 10 Best Laptops for Video Editing
- 10 Best Laptops for College Students
Mac OS or Windows?
Ask a Mac loyalist or an Apple enthusiast, and they will tell you: this is simply a moot question. Mac laptops have an overwhelming edge when it comes to design, intuitive gestures, and flair for multimedia.
Likewise, if you ask someone who has always used a Windows PC, they may talk fondly of the comfort, straightforward customization, and familiar work environment. Most commonly used applications and software for business work easily on a Windows platform, and it is easy to install things and get going.
The consensus: Both groups have massive fan followings, and the choice ultimately depends upon you. Historically, the ground rule has been to purchase a MacBook if:
- You need to perform heavy-duty multimedia work
- You have a thing for beautiful design, construction and aesthetics
- You want a vivid, bright and meticulous display
- You value exemplary customer support (Apple Stores and Apple Geniuses have a reputation for being immensely helpful and going the extra mile for customers)
- You want a secure experience free of malware and viruses
- You are willing to pay a huge premium for the above advantages
Much of the above pointers still hold water, although several Windows laptops are now competent enough at A/V work and have build qualities that are drop-dead gorgeous. On the security front too, Windows has become stronger and has provisions to protect your system from unauthorized access and data theft.
Therefore, it is best to choose based on the OS you feel more comfortable using. The specifications will matter a great deal, especially the processor, RAM support and available storage.
You should also consider the additional advantages you get, such as insurance, accident coverage and accessories. Since many users move to a newer or more advanced model in two years, it is wise to consider the entire package while making a purchase decision.
Top Reasons to Purchase a Windows Laptop
Now that we have put this in context, what are some of the driving factors for Windows-based computers? Here is a quick check-list of reasons that sway the scales toward Windows:
- Price: Typically, a Windows laptop comes in at a much lower price than a MacBook. If you are on a tight budget but value performance and design, getting a Windows PC can be a good choice. One of the cheapest Mac OS computers you can get is the MacBook Air, and it still comes in at around $1000. But sturdy and high-performing Windows laptops can be bought in the $500–$1000 range.
- Customization: If you have used a Mac PC, you know this: they can be painful to upgrade or customize unless you have access to the exact parts that Apple has manufactured. Windows laptops are far easier to tinker with and can be customized to your needs.
- Gaming: If you are looking to buy a gaming laptop, Windows is the preferred choice for many. It supports graphics cards and plenty of gaming peripherals—something that isn’t straightforward on Mac. The latter uses inbuilt graphics and simply does not support as many AAA games as Windows.
- Microsoft Office: Yes, the good old suite with applications like Word and Excel is still popular in both the academic and the professional world. If you need to use it regularly, you will find it works best on a Windows laptop. The overall experience is more stable and reliable.
- Keyboard: While opinions vary on this one, some users are less than satisfied with the butterfly-mechanism keyboard on the new line-up of MacBooks. You might prefer the keyboards on Windows laptops if you need to do a lot of typing, number crunching, data entry, etc.
- Connectivity: If you tend to connect to several peripherals such as external displays, USB devices, etc., a full array of ports is essential. Windows laptops often have inbuilt USB-A and USB-C ports, besides HDMI and SD card readers. MacBooks still have some catching up to do here, although you can now avail of USB-C ports. You will have to tow along your USB-C adapter for everything else, which can be quite a bother. Apple is keen on slimming down its laptops, which is one reason it skimps on ports and connections.
When you purchase a Windows laptop, you have a head-start on performance vis-à-vis multitasking, speed and productivity. In the world of operating systems, Windows has long been a frontrunner.
Today, even amidst a lot of competition, it has retained a distinct space. Many users prefer Windows for the familiarity it brings to the table, while others love the cost-effectiveness. The laptops on this list bring to you the very best this OS has to deliver.
They can fit multiple lifestyles and requirements, from students looking for portable, multi functional computers to business people who need a versatile device to stay connected.
You must choose based on your considerations as one shoe will not fit all. For instance, if mobility is paramount for you, you can consider the New Surface Pro 7.
But if watching your budget is the most critical lookout, then you can settle for a computer like the Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L. (Note: You should also watch the screen-size here, and perhaps pick an Ultrabook if compactness is crucial to your lifestyle.)
Whichever laptop you finally choose should adapt to your daily routine, simplify day-to-day tasks and be straightforward while doing it. Just like the promise of good old Windows.