In this in-depth review, we analyze the 10 best backlit keyboard laptops 2021 to help you arrive at the perfect choice to suit your lifestyle.
Does your laptop have a backlit keyboard? About a decade or so ago, only high-end, premium laptops offered keyboards with autonomous lighting, and not many audiences sought this feature when they went shopping.
But as of 2021, laptops with backlit keyboards have occupied a prominent spot in the marketplace, winning people over with the sheer convenience of operation that they offer.
No longer do you need to depend on ambient lighting—natural or artificial—to get the task at hand done; you can type away to glory even in pitch darkness.
The present laptop market offers a sizeable selection of computers with light-up keyboards.
Many of them come with additional features such as ergonomic keyboard design, adjustable controls, and innovatively constructed keys to boost typing comfort.
- More than Just a Fancy Feature: Why You Need a Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- Our Picks: 10 Best Backlit Keyboard Laptop 2021
- 1. Acer Swift 3 Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
- 2. Dell XPS 15 Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- 3. Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
- 4. Dell XPS 13 9310 (Premium)
- 5. Apple MacBook Pro with M1 Chip (Best Mac)
- 6. Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-50RS Budget Laptop
- 7. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 (Best Performance)
- 8. HP Envy 17 (Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad)
- 9. Acer Swift 5 (Best Lightweight)
- 10. Lenovo Flex 5 (Best 2-in-1)
- What You Must Look for in Laptops with Backlit Keyboards
- Time to Loosen those Purse Strings
More than Just a Fancy Feature: Why You Need a Backlit Keyboard Laptop
When laptops with backlit keyboards were initially launched in the marketplace, they were viewed as glamorous and attractive but, well, rather unnecessary.
Who needed all that fancy lighting on a keyboard when you could simply turn on all the lights in the office? But times have now changed, and computers with backlit keyboards are less an accessory, more a necessity.
Workplaces have shifted from stationary desks to people operating out of homes, public transport, and tents pitched up in the wilderness.
Owning a computer with a keyboard that lets you clearly see all the keys even in dim natural light can be the difference between being a go-getter and someone who can function only by day.
Many backlit keyboards now offer the options of adjusting the brightness and choosing your color scheme—a handy provision to add a dash of customization to your machine.
While such laptops have rapidly become a welcome choice for most audiences, you should certainly consider getting one if:
- You are a gamer: Gaming enthusiasts CANNOT do without a backlit keyboard, preferably with RGB lighting. Not only does it add razzmatazz to the proceedings but it is also a must-have for competitive gaming sessions where seeing your controls can mean all the difference between triumph and loss.
- You are a coder: Computer geeks tend to work at all times of the day and night, particularly if their job demands complicated nuggets of code within atrocious deadlines. Hitting the right key matters tremendously and can protect you from pesky software bugs.
- You are a creative professional: We are talking about writers, artists, architects, designers, and anyone who loves to create. A backlit keyboard is important to let you work uninhibited when creativity strikes, never mind the ambient lighting or lack thereof.
Our Picks: 10 Best Backlit Keyboard Laptop 2021
If you have been on the lookout for the best backlit keyboard laptops to buy in 2021, this is the list of the top available options.
1. Acer Swift 3 Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
Acer is known for their ultra-thin and lightweight devices and the Swift 3 is one of them.
Not only do you get a sleek device with a magnesium and aluminum chassis, it also features a high screen to body ratio with the latest processors for smoother performance. This ultra-portable device is 2.6lbs in weight and 0.63” in thickness.
Like any other Acer device, even this one features a 14” FHD display with narrow bezels with 82.73% screen to body ratio for sleek visuals without any hindrance. It also comes with a 16:9 aspect ratio for clear visuals.
The Swift 3 also features the AMD Ryzen 4000 Series processors providing with accelerating performance unlike anything else around. But, that is not where it stops, the device also features up to 11.5 hours of battery life for easier work even when you are on the go.
The embedded fingerprint reader in the device allows secure log-ins without any further hassle. As for storage, it features 512GB SSD for storage along with 8GB RAM for memory and high-end performance. The LED-backlit keyboard is another stunning feature of the device that contributes to seamless productivity throughout the day.
2. Dell XPS 15 Backlit Keyboard Laptop
Backlit keyboard is a must-have at the moment and is a feature most of the high-end laptops are integrated with. The Dell XPS 15 is one of the few devices that do come with a backlit keyboard and a stunning design.
The sleek and contemporary design of this device features a 62% larger touchpad, 5% larger screen and a 5.6% reduced carbon footprint, contributing to the betterment of the world.
The device features a compact 15.6” FHD edge to edge display with the DisplayHDR 400 with Dolby Vision for enhanced clarity and improved visuals.
As for performance, the XPS 15 is powered by the 10th Gen. Intel Core i7 processor with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti GPU for the best gaming experience and productivity like no other. The Integrated eye safe display technology keeps your eyes secure and doesn’t impair your vision.
Also, the device is further integrated with 512GB SSD for storage along with 16GB RAM for superior productivity like no other. The device is further integrated with highly polished diamond-cut sidewalls for a premium look and finish.
3. Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
Backlit keyboard is a striking feature in every gaming laptop. So, when talking about a few that stand out, the Lenovo Legion 5 is hands down one of the absolute best options that you can come across.
This device enables you to experience the next generation of gaming performance, thanks to the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H mobile processor.
The device is further integrated with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti GPU that enhances the graphics performance and ensures smoother user experience like you have never experienced before. The Legion 5 is equipped with a sleek 15.6” FHD IPS display with 1080p screen resolution and 144Hz refresh rate for unstoppable gameplay.
The dual burnout support for the CPU and GPU ensures improved framerates and enhanced thermal tuning like nothing you would’ve probably experienced before. The standout feature of this gaming device is the backlit TrueStrike keyboard with soft-landing switches for simpler input and user experience.
4. Dell XPS 13 9310 (Premium)
When you are looking for the best backlit keyboard laptop from Dell, it goes without saying that the Dell XPS 13 9310 is the best available options, hands down.
This 13” device has been designed and manufactured to provide you with an eased experience with precision engineering details unlike anything else.
The combination of the sturdy and stunning materials used in this along with all the minimal footprint is what makes this device a worthy purchase.
It comes in four variants and is powered by up to 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor and is programmed with up to 2TB PCIe NVMe SSD along with up to 32GB DDR4 RAM when it comes to storage and memory options simultaneously.
5. Apple MacBook Pro with M1 Chip (Best Mac)
Integrated with the Apple M1 chip, Touch Bar and 20 hours of battery life, the New Apple MacBook Pro is the best when it comes to backlit keyboard laptops from the brand.
The device is equipped with a stunning retina display along with true tone technology that makes your viewing experience nothing you could ever imagine it to be.
The device is powered by the new Apple M1 chip 8-core processors that offer 2.8x more user performance from before.
Pair that with up to 1TB SSD and up to 32GB RAM for even better memory options and you are all set for the tide. The storage options are also configurable up to 2TB or even 4TB SSD, which is pretty amazing.
But, it is the Magic keyboard in this device that stands out amidst the other options. It has a very comfortable typing experience with flair and the optimum security options for a smooth ride.
6. Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-50RS Budget Laptop
Finding a budget-friendly with a backlit keyboard can be a challenge, especially since majority of the manufacturers avoid including the same in a cheaper laptop.
However, the Aspire 5 is one of the few devices from Acer that features a stunning backlit keyboard that enables you to work at any time of the day without any interruptions.
The bestselling point of this device is the superior performance and battery life that enables you to be productive throughout the day without any interruptions. Also, the Aspire 5 is powered by the Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor that ensures uninterrupted performance.
The device is equipped with a 15.6” FHD display with 1080p screen resolution and narrow bezels for enhanced screen to body ratio. Also, the combination of 256GB SSD for storage and 8GB RAM for memory keeps your device performing smoothly. The device supports up to 8 hours of battery life.
7. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 (Best Performance)
Another popular backlit keyboard featuring superior performance and gameplay is the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15. This is an ROG gaming device from ASUS’ Zephyrus series, enabling users to experience high-end gameplay.
Aside from the durable construction and a comfortable portability at 4.85lbs, the device enables users to slice through heavy-duty games and everyday work like a pro.
The device is equipped with a 15.6” FHD IPS-type Pantone-validated display with 1080p screen resolution, 240Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response for enhanced gaming experience without any glitch. The backlit precision keyboard enables you to enjoy the most out of the games at time too.
The Zephyrus G15 is further powered by the AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS processor with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q GPU for unmatched user experience like no other. Also, the device is integrated with 1TB SSD for storage with 16GB RAM for superior multitasking and tackling some of the heavy-duty games. It runs on the Windows 10 Home operating system.
8. HP Envy 17 (Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad)
For the individuals looking for a bigger display with a backlit keyboard, the HP Envy 17-inch FHD is the best pick.
It is powered by the combination of the latest 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor along with Intel Iris Xe GPU for an enhanced user experience beyond words.
As for the display, the device is equipped with the stunning 17.3” FHD IPS-type display with multi-touch enabled edge-to-edge touch screen monitor for quicker and even better performance.
The device also comes integrated with up to 12GB SDRAM for memory options and 128GB SSD that can be configured to 1TB HDD for more storage options without any complaints. The webcam kill switch and integrated fingerprint reader further elevates the overall user experience beyond words.
9. Acer Swift 5 (Best Lightweight)
Much like the Acer Swift 3, the Swift 5 is a good competitor if you don’t want to compromise on quality and performance of the device.
The ultra-thin and all metal design gives the device a girth and durability that you wouldn’t find in the devices in the similar price range. It is also designed with the fully-equipped antimicrobial solutions that further contribute to the computing protection.
Part of the Intel Evo platform, the Swift 5 is powered by the latest 11th Gen. Intel i7 core processors for unmatched and uninterrupted performance.
The device also features a stunning 14-inch FHD widescreen IPS display that allows you to enjoy the best visuals without any kinds of interruptions.
The device also features an LED-backlit keyboard that allows you to work seamlessly at night without any issues. The device also has the Acer Bio fingerprint solution that allows secure login system. It is also integrated with 1TB SSD for storage and 16GB RAM for memory options along with 15 hours of battery life for extended productivity.
10. Lenovo Flex 5 (Best 2-in-1)
The combination of sleek style, convertible usability and a backlit keyboard sounds too good to be true.
With the Lenovo Flex 5, you get the best of both worlds. Not only does the device feature a sleek and modern design, much like every other Lenovo laptop, the device is also programmed with the latest features and innovations for all-day productivity.
The device features a 10-point 14” FHD IPS touchscreen display with 1080p screen resolution for crisp and clear visuals without any compromise. The 4-side narrow bezels make the visuals appear more vivid than before.
Aside from the 360-degree hinge that allows you to operate the device in multiple modes, it also allows you to work seamlessly at night because of the backlit keyboard.
Furthermore, the combination of the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U mobile processor with the Radeon graphics further improves the overall user experience and the performance of the device unlike anything else in the same budget.
If you are worried about the storage and memory, you don’t have to as the device is equipped with 256GB SSD for storage along with 16GB RAM for seamless productivity throughout the day. It runs on the Windows 10 Home operating system.
- 10 Best Windows Laptops 2021
- Best MacBooks 2021
- The 10 Best Laptops for College Students 2021
- Top 10 Best Laptops for Video Editing 2021
What You Must Look for in Laptops with Backlit Keyboards
So, let’s say you have decided to get a laptop with a backlit keyboard. You will have a budget in mind as well as a processing configuration, display setting, battery backup, and possibly other specific needs tailored to your day. Be that as it may, you must keep an eye out for the following when you get home a laptop with light up keyboard:
- Type of laptop: Even though backlit keyboards have now become common, they are still not found easily in budget laptops. You’re likely to see them in gaming computers, convertibles, and premium machines. Assess your needs carefully and don’t get into a deal that, barring the keyboard, doesn’t fit your requirement/price range. One of the most popular buys at present is a laptop with touch screen and backlit keyboard—a neat, convenient combination that doesn’t cost a bomb.
- Adjustable lighting: A constant backlight that you cannot adjust may suit some but jar others. Consider if you need a laptop that lets you adjust the brightness manually or automatically does it for you based on the ambient light. Of course, some high-end gaming laptops let you completely own the keyboard and control every aspect (color and light per key). But you may not need to splurge on this feature unless you are a gamer.
- Keyboard design: Laptops with backlit keyboards typically commit to ergonomics as well, offering keyboards with a comfortable key travel distance and layout. You can choose between an island-style keyboard (more space around the keys) and a conventional, tightly packed arrangement. Likewise, take time out to consider if you’re more comfortable with a low key-travel distance (1.5 to 2mm) or prefer more vertical distance (as you’ll find in many gaming laptops). Ultimately, this remains a personal preference, but some users find it can impact their typing speeds and overall ease of use.
- Potential backlighting problems: Some laptops suffer from backlight bleeding—a problem that occurs when the keyboard hasn’t been designed properly. You should check to ascertain that the backlight illuminates each key distinctly.
Time to Loosen those Purse Strings
We bet all those backlit keyboards and the fantastic laptops they are housed in fired up your thoughts and imagination. Have you arrived at a decision yet? Backlit keyboards are now available in machines spanning budgets, configurations, and features, so it has become easier to find one that fits you to a T.
If you are counting pennies, consider the cheap but efficient Acer Aspire 5 or the Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5. For long, uber-reliable battery life, the Dell XPS 13 and the LG Gram 15 are your best bets. And then again, if you are eager to go all out on a cocktail of style, razzmatazz and performance, check out the latest Apple MacBook Pro, the newest Razer Blade 15 2020 or the Microsoft Surface Book 3.
A laptop with a backlit keyboard can unburden you from the need to hunt for a light source and thereby become your partner for efficient, comfortable work, wherever you go. The market now abounds in choices, so go ahead and take your pick.