10 Best Backlit Keyboard Laptops 2020
Does your laptop have a backlit keyboard? About a decade or so ago, only high-end, premium laptops offered keyboards with autonomous lighting, and not many audiences sought this feature when they went shopping. But as of 2020, laptops with backlit keyboards have occupied a prominent spot in the marketplace, winning people over with the sheer convenience of operation that they offer. No longer do you need to depend on ambient lighting—natural or artificial—to get the task at hand done; you can type away to glory even in pitch darkness.
The present laptop market offers a sizeable selection of computers with light-up keyboards. Many of them come with additional features such as ergonomic keyboard design, adjustable controls, and innovatively constructed keys to boost typing comfort.
How do these features affect the core functionality of a laptop, if at all? What about budgetary concerns? In this in-depth review, we analyze this illuminated world to help you arrive at the perfect choice to suit your lifestyle.
- More than Just a Fancy Feature: Why You Need a Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- Our Picks: Top 10 Best Backlit Keyboard Laptop 2020
- 1. Dell XPS 13 9300 – Best Dell Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- 2. New Apple MacBook Pro – Best Apple Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- 3. Dell XPS 15 7590 – Best 15 Inch Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- 4. Microsoft Surface Book 3 – Best Creator Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
- 5. Acer Aspire 5 – Cheapest Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
- 6. LG Gram Laptop 15 – Lightweight Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
- 7. HP Envy 17-inch FHD – Best 17 Inch Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- 8. Asus ZenBook 14 – Best 14 Inch Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- 9. Razer Blade 15 – Best Gaming Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
- 10. Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 – Best Budget Backlit Keyboard Laptop
- What You Must Look for in Laptops with Backlit Keyboards
- Time to Loosen those Purse Strings
More than Just a Fancy Feature: Why You Need a Backlit Keyboard Laptop
When laptops with backlit keyboards were initially launched in the marketplace, they were viewed as glamorous and attractive but, well, rather unnecessary. Who needed all that fancy lighting on a keyboard when you could simply turn on all the lights in the office? But times have now changed, and computers with backlit keyboards are less an accessory, more a necessity.
Workplaces have shifted from stationary desks to people operating out of homes, public transport, and tents pitched up in the wilderness. Owning a computer with a keyboard that lets you clearly see all the keys even in dim natural light can be the difference between being a go-getter and someone who can function only by day.
Many backlit keyboards now offer the options of adjusting the brightness and choosing your color scheme—a handy provision to add a dash of customization to your machine.
While such laptops have rapidly become a welcome choice for most audiences, you should certainly consider getting one if:
- You are a gamer: Gaming enthusiasts CANNOT do without a backlit keyboard, preferably with RGB lighting. Not only does it add razzmatazz to the proceedings but it is also a must-have for competitive gaming sessions where seeing your controls can mean all the difference between triumph and loss.
- You are a coder: Computer geeks tend to work at all times of the day and night, particularly if their job demands complicated nuggets of code within atrocious deadlines. Hitting the right key matters tremendously and can protect you from pesky software bugs.
- You are a creative professional: We are talking about writers, artists, architects, designers, and anyone who loves to create. A backlit keyboard is important to let you work uninhibited when creativity strikes, never mind the ambient lighting or lack thereof.
Our Picks: Top 10 Best Backlit Keyboard Laptop 2020
If you have been on the lookout for the best backlit keyboard laptops to buy in 2020, this is the list of the top available options.
1. Dell XPS 13 9300 – Best Dell Backlit Keyboard Laptop
When you are looking for the best backlit keyboard laptop from Dell, it goes without saying that the Dell XPS 13 9300 is the best available options, hands down.
This 13” device has been designed and manufactured to provide you with an eased experience with precision engineering details unlike anything else.
The combination of the sturdy and stunning materials used in this along with all the minimal footprint is what makes this device a worthy purchase.
It comes in four variants and is powered by up to 10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor and is programmed with up to 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD along with up to 32GB DDR4 RAM when it comes to storage and memory options simultaneously.
2. New Apple MacBook Pro – Best Apple Backlit Keyboard Laptop
Integrated with the Magic keyboard, Touch Bar and Touch ID, the New Apple MacBook Pro is the best when it comes to backlit keyboard laptops from the brand.
The device is equipped with a stunning retina display along with true tone technology that makes your viewing experience nothing you could ever imagine it to be.
The device is powered by the latest 10th Generation Intel core processors that offer 80% more user performance from before. Pair that with up to 1TB SSD and up to 32GB RAM for even better memory options and you are all set for the tide. The storage options are also configurable up to 2TB or even 4TB SSD, which is pretty amazing.
But, it is the Magic keyboard in this device that stands out amidst the other options. It has a very comfortable typing experience with flair and the optimum security options for a smooth ride.
3. Dell XPS 15 7590 – Best 15 Inch Backlit Keyboard Laptop
If you are particular about the display size of the laptop to be 15”, the Dell XPS 15 7590 is a worthy pick that comes with the amazing backlit keyboard, so you can work from anywhere.
This 15.6” OLED display device comes with a touch display, which is pretty amazing for the price point it comes for.
Aside from that, the device is also powered with up to 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9980HK processors for a smoother performance.
The device is also quite lightweight, weighing around 4 lbs, which is easy to carry around without any hassle. As for the storage and memory options, the device is equipped with up to 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD along with up to 32GB DDR4 SDRAM for an effortless performance unlike anything else.
4. Microsoft Surface Book 3 – Best Creator Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
The Microsoft Surface Book 3 is the best available option that you can check out, especially because of the backlit keyboard and the ultra-thin design.
The device comes in two variants of 13.5” or 15” display. You can pick one accordingly.
The device is also powered with up to Intel Core i7 for an effortless performance unlike anything else. All the available variants also come with PixelSense display for vivid colors and display. Aside from that, the device is also equipped with up to 32GB RAM for memory options along with up to 2TB PCIe SSD for better storage options.
The best part of this device aside from the keyboard is the amazing battery life. A single charge will last your device for an average of 17.5 hours with normal use when connected to the keyboard base. This is a lot more than what you get in the other available device in the similar price range.
5. Acer Aspire 5 – Cheapest Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
Unlike the other ones, this device is integrated with the AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual Core Processor and AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile graphics for an improved user experience beyond comprehension.
The device is also equipped with the standard 15.6” full HD widescreen LED backlit IPS type display for vivid colors and crisp resolution unlike anything else. It also has a screen resolution of 1920×1080 pixels, which is the standard best option.
When it comes round to the storage and memory options, it is equipped with 128GB SSD along with 4GB DDR4 RAM.
6. LG Gram Laptop 15 – Lightweight Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
For the corporate officials or even the students who are constantly on the go and need a lightweight and portable laptop to carry around, the LG Gram Laptop 15 is the best available option that you can check out accordingly.
LG is not a very popular brand when it comes to laptops but this is that one device you wouldn’t regret buying.
The device comes powered with the Intel 10th Generation Core i7-1065G7 processor and has a 15.6” full HD IPS LCD screen display. As for the storage and memory, the device is equipped with 256GB PCIe SSD along with 8GB DDR4 RAM for a wholesome user experience unlike anything else.
It keeps you hooked throughout the usage and has a very unique design, the backlit keyboard being a part of it. It also offers 17 hours of battery life, which is pretty amazing too.
7. HP Envy 17-inch FHD – Best 17 Inch Backlit Keyboard Laptop
For the individuals looking for a bigger display with a backlit keyboard, the HP Envy 17-inch FHD is the best pick.
It is powered by the combination of the latest 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10510U processor along with NVIDIA GeForce MX250 GPU for an enhanced user experience beyond words.
As for the display, the device is equipped with the stunning 17.3” FHD IPS-type display with multi-touch enabled edge-to-edge touch screen monitor for quicker and even better performance.
The device also comes integrated with up to 12GB SDRAM for memory options and 128GB SSD that can be configured to 1TB HDD for more storage options without any complaints. The webcam kill switch and integrated fingerprint reader further elevates the overall user experience beyond words.
8. Asus ZenBook 14 – Best 14 Inch Backlit Keyboard Laptop
The 5.65-Inch interactive touchscreen trackpad is the highlight of the device. This allows smart working and multitasking without any complaints at all.
As for the display, it is equipped with a 14” FHD nanoedge display with glossy finish for an even better user experience and overall performance.
The device is equipped with 512 GB PCIe SSD along with 16GB RAM for storage and memory options respectively. In case you want better than before, this is the one. It is compact, versatile and efficient with the latest innovative configurations.
9. Razer Blade 15 – Best Gaming Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
Finding a gaming laptop with the backlit keyboard is a boon and the Razer Blade 15 is here to suffice all your needs.
The device is powered by the latest 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor along with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 GPU for an even better experience unlike anything else in the market.
The 15.6” full HD display comes with a refresh rate of 144Hz for easier viewing and more frames. The device itself is quite thin and compact and the aluminum unibody frame ensures that it is lightweight and easily portable too.
The storage and memory options aren’t technically the best and come with 256GB SSD along with 16GB RAM for an elevated performance without any glitches. The Chroma RGB lighting further packs in everything together and makes it a device worth spending your coins on.
10. Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 – Best Budget Backlit Keyboard Laptop
If you have an allotted budget for a backlit keyboard laptop, it is likely that the Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 will fit in the range. It is not just reasonably priced but comes packed with all the latest features that you’d look for in a device you are buying.
It is powered by the latest 10th Generation Intel Core i3-1005G1 processor that boosts the premium performance of the device. The device is also equipped with a standard 15.6” FHD IPS touchscreen display that ensures easy multitasking and even better creation unlike anything else.
The device is also equipped with 128GB PCIe SSD along with 8GB DDR4 RAM for an even better experience. The additional features of numeric keypad & webcam privacy shutter further enhance the overall security experience of the device as well.
- 10 Best Windows Laptops 2020
- Best MacBooks 2020
- The 10 Best Laptops for College Students 2020
- Top 10 Best Laptops for Video Editing 2020
What You Must Look for in Laptops with Backlit Keyboards
So, let’s say you have decided to get a laptop with a backlit keyboard. You will have a budget in mind as well as a processing configuration, display setting, battery backup, and possibly other specific needs tailored to your day. Be that as it may, you must keep an eye out for the following when you get home a laptop with light up keyboard:
- Type of laptop: Even though backlit keyboards have now become common, they are still not found easily in budget laptops. You’re likely to see them in gaming computers, convertibles, and premium machines. Assess your needs carefully and don’t get into a deal that, barring the keyboard, doesn’t fit your requirement/price range. One of the most popular buys at present is a laptop with touch screen and backlit keyboard—a neat, convenient combination that doesn’t cost a bomb.
- Adjustable lighting: A constant backlight that you cannot adjust may suit some but jar others. Consider if you need a laptop that lets you adjust the brightness manually or automatically does it for you based on the ambient light. Of course, some high-end gaming laptops let you completely own the keyboard and control every aspect (color and light per key). But you may not need to splurge on this feature unless you are a gamer.
- Keyboard design: Laptops with backlit keyboards typically commit to ergonomics as well, offering keyboards with a comfortable key travel distance and layout. You can choose between an island-style keyboard (more space around the keys) and a conventional, tightly packed arrangement. Likewise, take time out to consider if you’re more comfortable with a low key-travel distance (1.5 to 2mm) or prefer more vertical distance (as you’ll find in many gaming laptops). Ultimately, this remains a personal preference, but some users find it can impact their typing speeds and overall ease of use.
- Potential backlighting problems: Some laptops suffer from backlight bleeding—a problem that occurs when the keyboard hasn’t been designed properly. You should check to ascertain that the backlight illuminates each key distinctly.
Time to Loosen those Purse Strings
We bet all those backlit keyboards and the fantastic laptops they are housed in fired up your thoughts and imagination. Have you arrived at a decision yet? Backlit keyboards are now available in machines spanning budgets, configurations, and features, so it has become easier to find one that fits you to a T.
If you are counting pennies, consider the cheap but efficient Acer Aspire 5 or the Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5. For long, uber-reliable battery life, the Dell XPS 13 and the LG Gram 15 are your best bets. And then again, if you are eager to go all out on a cocktail of style, razzmatazz and performance, check out the latest Apple MacBook Pro, the newest Razer Blade 15 2020 or the Microsoft Surface Book 3.
A laptop with a backlit keyboard can unburden you from the need to hunt for a light source and thereby become your partner for efficient, comfortable work, wherever you go. The market now abounds in choices, so go ahead and take your pick.