In this in-depth review, we analyze the best backlit keyboard laptop 2023 to help you arrive at the perfect choice to suit your lifestyle.
Does your laptop have a backlit keyboard? About a decade or so ago, only high-end, premium laptops offered keyboards with autonomous lighting, and not many audiences sought this feature when they went shopping.
But as of 2023, laptops with backlit keyboards have occupied a prominent spot in the marketplace, winning people over with the sheer convenience of operation that they offer.
No longer do you need to depend on ambient lighting—natural or artificial—to get the task at hand done; you can type away to glory even in pitch darkness.
The present laptop market offers a sizeable selection of computers with light-up keyboards.
Many of them come with additional features such as ergonomic keyboard design, adjustable controls, and innovatively constructed keys to boost typing comfort.
Our Picks: 10 Best Backlit Keyboard Laptop 2023
If you have been on the lookout for the best backlit keyboard laptops to buy in 2023, this is the list of the top available options.
1. HP Spectre x360 13.5 2-in-1 Backlit Keyboard Laptop
The Spectra x360 from HP is a one-stop solution for all your computing needs. It is a mid-range model with a convertible design and stunning backlit keyboard.
What more could you ask for? However, HP keeps on giving with their traditional clamshell laptop with the 360-degree hinge and speedy productivity.
The 2022 Spectre x360 is powered by the latest 12th Gen. Intel Core i7 processor with the integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics that bring on a barrage of refinements that no users expected to witness. Paired with the gem-cut edges and the stunning OLED display, HP has managed to upgrade their much-loved model.
The inclusive soft-corner design further accentuates the backlit keyboard, which adds to the credibility of the laptop’s design. Also, the ports and connectivity options are pretty outstanding in the model, making data transfer a breeze.
As for the display, the Spectre x360 is equipped with a compact yet responsive 13.5” display with 1280p screen resolution. There is an optional OLED display with 2000p screen resolution as well.
Reasons to buy
- Hands-on and comfortable to hold
- Optimal port selection
- Compact design
- Powerful processor
- Responsive display
Reasons to avoid
- Slightly bulky
- Battery life is average
2. Dell XPS 13 Plus 9320 Laptop
Finding an affordable, go-to laptop with a backlit keyboard can be a challenge. That is further streamlined with the Dell XPS 13 Plus 9320. XPS 13 is one of Dell’s bestselling models, so for them to drop an upgraded version was a breakthrough.
The 2022 XPS 13 9320 features a bolder and unique design unlike the previous generation models. Dell has bumped up its specifications with optimal and latest specifications like an optional OLED display, upgraded thermal design and a higher capacity battery.
XPS 13 Plus 9320 is powered by the latest 12th Gen. Intel Alder Lake-P processors with the integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics for responsive processing power. It doesn’t stop there because the combination of up to 32GB RAM with PCIe SSD storage takes the productivity to next levels.
Featuring an all CNC aluminum and glass design, the model is available in two different color options with a backlit keyboard and detailed craftsmanship like no other. The model isn’t the most lightweight, despite being equipped with a compact 13” display panel.
Reasons to buy
- Sleek and modern design
- Bold performance
- Optimal multitasking
- Prolonged battery life
- Easy connectivity options
Reasons to avoid
- A little bulky
- Audio from the speakers is average
3. ASUS VivoBook 15 Slim Budget Laptop
You can bag yourself a stunning and affordable laptop with the backlit keyboard with the ASUS VivoBook 15 Slim.
It isn’t a device for the professional editors or content creators but for the users looking for a below-average laptop that supports their personal computing needs.
Powered by the latest Intel Core i5 processor and Intel Iris Xe graphics, the model is one of a kind, especially if you are on the lookout for a laptop with thin chassis and optimal port selection. ASUS also stands out with the edge-to-edge widescreen display, which further adds to the credible viewing experience.
As far as performance goes, the combination of 8GB RAM with 512GB SSD storage makes up for the basic computing needs without any buffer. However, if you are planning to indulge in some high-end games, we’d recommend not taking a chance with this one.
The ErgoSense chiclet backlit keyboard features the functional fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello. This keeps privacy in check. The laptop runs on the Windows 11 Home OS.
Reasons to buy
- Sleek and lightweight chassis
- Widescreen display
- Optimal storage configuration
- Functional fingerprint sensor
- Responsive processors
Reasons to avoid
- Not suited for graphics-intensive tasks
- Battery life is below average
4. Dell XPS 15 9520 Laptop
If we had to project Dell’s best laptop series, XPS takes the cake without a doubt. The Dell XPS 15 9520 is nothing different, especially with the solid build and the streamlined design.
Featuring an average 15” display and an attractive and thin chassis, the model doesn’t shy away in terms of the performance.
Pair that with the responsive 3.5K OLED display and you will never have to compromise on the visuals or the overall viewing experience. The XPS 15 9520 is a lot similar to all the previous models but the biggest upgrade to the model is with the integration of the latest 12th Gen. Intel Core processors.
Overall, the silver chassis with the black carbon fiber backlit keyboard adds a stunning design element to the model, one that you aren’t going to regret purchasing at all. Also, the unique diamond-cut, double-anodized side edges make it a lot more comfortable to hold and carry around.
Coming to the storage and memory, the XPS 15 9520 is equipped with up to 2TB SSD storage and up to 64GB RAM configuration for the fastest performance experience in the market.
Reasons to buy
- Streamlined design
- Optimal performance and creativity
- Stunning keyboard and touchpad
- OLED display
- Crisp audio output
Reasons to avoid
- Quite overpriced
- Port selection isn’t optimal
5. Acer Swift 3 Laptop with Backlit Keyboard
Acer is known for their ultra-thin and lightweight devices and the Swift 3 is one of them.
Not only do you get a sleek device with a magnesium and aluminum chassis, it also features a high screen to body ratio with the latest processors for smoother performance. This ultra-portable device is 2.6lbs in weight and 0.63” in thickness.
Like any other Acer device, even this one features a 14” FHD display with narrow bezels with 85.73% screen to body ratio for sleek visuals without any hindrance. It also comes with a 16:9 aspect ratio for clear visuals.
The Swift 3 also features the AMD Ryzen 5000 Series processors providing with accelerating performance unlike anything else around. But, that is not where it stops, the device also features up to 11.5 hours of battery life for easier work even when you are on the go.
The embedded fingerprint reader in the device allows secure log-ins without any further hassle. As for storage, it features 512GB SSD for storage along with 8GB RAM for memory and high-end performance. The LED-backlit keyboard is another stunning feature of the device that contributes to seamless productivity throughout the day.
6. New Apple MacBook Pro 14-inch (Best Mac)
Integrated with the Apple M1 Pro chip, Touch Bar and 21 hours of battery life, the New Apple MacBook Pro is the best when it comes to backlit keyboard laptops from the brand.
The device is equipped with a stunning retina display along with true tone technology that makes your viewing experience nothing you could ever imagine it to be.
The device is powered by the new Apple M1 Pro chip 8-core processors that offer 4x more user performance from before.
Pair that with up to 1TB SSD and up to 32GB RAM for even better memory options and you are all set for the tide. The storage options are also configurable up to 2TB or even 4TB SSD, which is pretty amazing.
But, it is the Magic keyboard in this device that stands out amidst the other options. It has a very comfortable typing experience with flair and the optimum security options for a smooth ride.
7. ASUS TUF Dash 15 Backlit Keyboard Laptop
Another popular backlit keyboard featuring superior performance and gameplay is the ASUS TUF Dash 15. This is an TUF gaming device from ASUS’ Zephyrus series, enabling users to experience high-end gameplay.
Aside from the durable construction and a comfortable portability at 4.4lbs, the device enables users to slice through heavy-duty games and everyday work like a pro.
The device is equipped with a 15.6” FHD IPS-type display with 1080p screen resolution, 144Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response for enhanced gaming experience without any glitch.
The backlit precision keyboard enables you to enjoy the most out of the games at time too.
The TUF Dash 15 is further powered by the Intel Core i7-12650H processor with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU for unmatched user experience like no other.
Also, the device is integrated with 512GB SSD for storage with 16GB RAM for superior multitasking and tackling some of the heavy-duty games. It runs on the Windows 10 Home operating system.
- 10 Best Windows Laptops 2023
- Best MacBooks 2023
- The 10 Best Laptops for College Students 2023
- Top 10 Best Laptops for Video Editing 2023
More than Just a Fancy Feature: Why You Need a Backlit Keyboard Laptop
When laptops with backlit keyboards were initially launched in the marketplace, they were viewed as glamorous and attractive but, well, rather unnecessary.
Who needed all that fancy lighting on a keyboard when you could simply turn on all the lights in the office? But times have now changed, and computers with backlit keyboards are less an accessory, more a necessity.
Workplaces have shifted from stationary desks to people operating out of homes, public transport, and tents pitched up in the wilderness.
Owning a computer with a keyboard that lets you clearly see all the keys even in dim natural light can be the difference between being a go-getter and someone who can function only by day.
Many backlit keyboards now offer the options of adjusting the brightness and choosing your color scheme—a handy provision to add a dash of customization to your machine.
While such laptops have rapidly become a welcome choice for most audiences, you should certainly consider getting one if:
- You are a gamer: Gaming enthusiasts CANNOT do without a backlit keyboard, preferably with RGB lighting. Not only does it add razzmatazz to the proceedings but it is also a must-have for competitive gaming sessions where seeing your controls can mean all the difference between triumph and loss.
- You are a coder: Computer geeks tend to work at all times of the day and night, particularly if their job demands complicated nuggets of code within atrocious deadlines. Hitting the right key matters tremendously and can protect you from pesky software bugs.
- You are a creative professional: We are talking about writers, artists, architects, designers, and anyone who loves to create. A backlit keyboard is important to let you work uninhibited when creativity strikes, never mind the ambient lighting or lack thereof.
What You Must Look for in Laptops with Backlit Keyboards
So, let’s say you have decided to get a laptop with a backlit keyboard. You will have a budget in mind as well as a processing configuration, display setting, battery backup, and possibly other specific needs tailored to your day. Be that as it may, you must keep an eye out for the following when you get home a laptop with light up keyboard:
- Type of laptop: Even though backlit keyboards have now become common, they are still not found easily in budget laptops. You’re likely to see them in gaming computers, convertibles, and premium machines. Assess your needs carefully and don’t get into a deal that, barring the keyboard, doesn’t fit your requirement/price range. One of the most popular buys at present is a laptop with touch screen and backlit keyboard—a neat, convenient combination that doesn’t cost a bomb.
- Adjustable lighting: A constant backlight that you cannot adjust may suit some but jar others. Consider if you need a laptop that lets you adjust the brightness manually or automatically does it for you based on the ambient light. Of course, some high-end gaming laptops let you completely own the keyboard and control every aspect (color and light per key). But you may not need to splurge on this feature unless you are a gamer.
- Keyboard design: Laptops with backlit keyboards typically commit to ergonomics as well, offering keyboards with a comfortable key travel distance and layout. You can choose between an island-style keyboard (more space around the keys) and a conventional, tightly packed arrangement. Likewise, take time out to consider if you’re more comfortable with a low key-travel distance (1.5 to 2mm) or prefer more vertical distance (as you’ll find in many gaming laptops). Ultimately, this remains a personal preference, but some users find it can impact their typing speeds and overall ease of use.
- Potential backlighting problems: Some laptops suffer from backlight bleeding—a problem that occurs when the keyboard hasn’t been designed properly. You should check to ascertain that the backlight illuminates each key distinctly.
Time to Loosen those Purse Strings
We bet all those backlit keyboards and the fantastic laptops they are housed in fired up your thoughts and imagination. Have you arrived at a decision yet? Backlit keyboards are now available in machines spanning budgets, configurations, and features, so it has become easier to find one that fits you to a T.
If you are counting pennies, consider the cheap but efficient Acer Aspire 5 or the Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5. For long, uber-reliable battery life, the Dell XPS 13 and the LG Gram 15 are your best bets. And then again, if you are eager to go all out on a cocktail of style, razzmatazz and performance, check out the latest Apple MacBook Pro, the newest Razer Blade 15 2020 or the Microsoft Surface Book 3.
A laptop with a backlit keyboard can unburden you from the need to hunt for a light source and thereby become your partner for efficient, comfortable work, wherever you go. The market now abounds in choices, so go ahead and take your pick.