In this article, we have culled out for you ten best laptops under $300 2021 that provide reliable performance on a budget.
The marketplace of laptops is, quite literally, flooded. Every other day, you get introduced to new machines with stylish features, new form factors for that added zing and agility to life, and the kind of processing strength that can rival that of full-purpose desktops.
It is no wonder that announcements like these don’t come cheap, which is why the prospect of laptops under $300 sounds too good to be true.
How can a computer that cheap actually be useful enough for any of the myriad tasks that present-day audiences need to perform? Except: they are.
While many brands have centered their focus on upscale computers that offer the fanciest bells and whistles, many others have prioritized cost-cutting.
Top computer makers like Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP and Lenovo have understood that not everyone wishes to—or can—own an incredibly powerful laptop that is also shockingly expensive. Indeed, not all of us need to.
For daily computing needs at school or the office, a computer that is easy to carry and quick to open up word processors and browsers can suffice, even if it hasn’t top-notch acoustics or an ergonomic keyboard design.
It is in this context that cheap laptops—also called budget laptops—have become readily available in the market. You can find decent computers under $1000, $500 and even $300; while these devices are pleasantly inexpensive, they are also adept at keeping their promises.
But before you move to the recommendations, we would advise you to brush up on some essential knowledge about this select line-up.
- Is it Wise to Buy a Cheap Laptop Under $300?
- Our Picks: 10 Best Laptops Under $300 2021
- 1. Acer Chromebook 314 Laptop Under $300
- 2. HP Chromebook 14-inch HD Laptop Under $300
- 3. Lenovo Chromebook S330 Laptop
- 4. Acer Chromebook Spin 311 Convertible Laptop
- 5. Lenovo Chromebook 3 (14”)
- 6. SAMSUNG XE310XBA-K02US Chromebook 4
- 7. Dell Inspiron 15 3000 3580 Laptop
- 8. Lenovo Chromebook S345 (14”) laptop
- 9. ASUS Laptop L210 Ultra-Thin Laptop
- 10. HP Stream 14-inch Laptop Under $300
- Things to Remember Before Buying a Budget Laptop
- Closing Note
Is it Wise to Buy a Cheap Laptop Under $300?
Over time, this has become ingrained in our minds: cheap equals poor. When something comes to you cheap, you tend to presume it will also be low in quality and performance.
Happily, this is nothing but a myth as far as the consumer laptop marketplace is concerned. Today, many leading manufacturers have come up with budget laptops that you can buy for only a few hundred dollars without compromising on performance or display.
While it is true that these computers are not ideal for heavy-duty pursuits like gaming, they sure are rock-stars for everyday work—and all without drilling a hole in your wallet!
You can safely consider buying a laptop under $300 if:
- You are a student seeking to purchase a budget laptop for regular classroom activities like taking notes, working on decks, or even watching videos for research and entertainment. Note: If you are a design or programming student or your major entails running complicated software, a budget laptop might not be ideal.
- You are a young professional or entrepreneur who doesn’t want to splurge on an expensive laptop. You don’t plan to utilize your device for tasks beyond routine business needs like checking e-mail, video conferencing, and carrying along on travels.
- You are a home-based user who needs a portable laptop for entertainment, watching recipe videos in the kitchen, sitting back and chatting with friends, or completing routine tasks for work. It is easy to take off anywhere you want with a laptop like this, for most products in this league are mobile and lightweight.
Our Picks: 10 Best Laptops Under $300 2021
Finding cheap and affordable but highly functional laptops is quite difficult but there are a few amazing laptops available under $300 but with some of the latest technological advances.
1. Acer Chromebook 314 Laptop Under $300
Kicking off the list with the Acer Chromebook 314. More than the performance, the device beats everything in style.
If you are always on the go and need a device that can accompany you anywhere you go, this is the best option.
The device features an immersive 14-inch FHD IPS display that works seamlessly in bright light conditions too.
The Chromebook 314 is extremely lightweight and ultra-thin, enhancing the portability of the device without further complaints. It provides with unmatched value in this technology-driven world with the Intel Celeron N4000 Dual-Core Processor and Intel UHD graphics.
The device is integrated with 4GB LPDDR4 RAM with 64GB eMMC flash memory storage, which is pretty good for a device of this price range. It is also equipped with the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 802.11ac Gigabit WiFi for seamless wireless connectivity.
2. HP Chromebook 14-inch HD Laptop Under $300
Another Chromebook that stands out with its quality is the HP Chromebook featuring a stunning 14-inch HD display.
It is a perfect option for everyone, be it a student or a business profession. The device is extremely versatile, making it easier for you to brave through.
The device features a spread of applications in the device from Google Play Store, making it one of the best options for every user.
The 14-Inch HD display of the laptop enables you to watch your favorite content in high definition and enhanced detailing. The device is also equipped with the HP fast charging, which allows you to charge up to 50% in under 45 minutes.
As for the processor, the device is also powered by the dual core Intel Celeron N4000 processor with 1.1 GHz base frequency. Moreover, the display is also equipped with up to 82% screen to body ratio. The Chromebook is also integrated with 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC flash memory.
3. Lenovo Chromebook S330 Laptop
When discussing about affordable laptops, it is futile if we don’t talk about a Lenovo device. The Lenovo Chromebook S330 is priced under $300 but features a lot more than you’d find in some of the expensive devices.
This high-performance device is powered by the MediaTek MTK8173C Processor and runs on the Chrome operating system for seamless performance and functions.
The device features a stunning and sleek design, making it easier for you to carry it when you are on the go. It is 3.3 pounds in weight and extremely thin for easier portability. Moreover, the Chromebook also features a compact 14-inch FHD display.
The Chromebook S330 is perfect for your daily computing needs, making it ideal for all-day productivity without any damper. It is built with all the latest I/O ports and the latest wireless connectivity for effortless collaboration. It also features a 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC flash memory.
4. Acer Chromebook Spin 311 Convertible Laptop
Nobody would imagine finding a convertible laptop under $300 but Acer makes it possible yet again.
The Acer Chromebook Spin 311 laptop is one of the absolute best options, both in terms of the design and in terms of the functionalities.
The device runs on the Chrome OS, enabling you to live in today and get your performance sorted for the day.
With 360-degrees of versatility, the Spin 311 transforms its easily for a versatile function. It supports touch, enabling you to experience easy and all-day productivity. The device provides with fours different modes that you can choose from, depending on what deems the most comfortable for you.
Even with the affordable price point, the device stays by your side up to 10 hours without any issues. The device is powered by the Intel Celeron processor for lower power usage and a highly responsive software.
The device features a stunning 11.6” display with the IPS technology. As for storage and memory, it is equipped with 4GB RAM and 32 GB eMMC flash memory.
5. Lenovo Chromebook 3 (14”)
Another affordable Chromebook from Lenovo that comes with an affordable price point is the Chromebook 3.
With a combination of less complications and higher productivity, this device manages to keep a check on every little detail with respect to the performance of the device.
The device is powered by the Intel Celeron processors and a 14-inch FHD touchscreen display with crisp audio from the stereo speakers. Even this one is backed by 10 hours of battery life that is perfect for the users who are always running around for work.
The Chromebook 3 updates and upgrades its software every 6 weeks to protect the device from serious cyber threats and keeps everything updated with the advanced features. It is integrated with 4GB RAM and 32 GB eMMC for storage.
6. SAMSUNG XE310XBA-K02US Chromebook 4
You can’t go wrong with Samsung when discussing about the latest devices with better functionalities.
Aside from the accessibility of the Chrome OS, the device also features extremely lightweight and ultrathin design for you to carry it around without any hassle. It lets you stream, work and create while you are on the go.
It is powered by the Intel Celeron N4000 processor and features the Intel UHD graphics for enhanced clarity of the graphics. It is connected with Google Suite, enabling you to download and access content across the Internet.
The Chromebook is also featured with the best wireless connectivity and long-lasting productivity that contributes to enhanced and all-day performance. If you are confused with the storage and memory, it is integrated with 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC for storage requirements.
7. Dell Inspiron 15 3000 3580 Laptop
Finding a Dell device in an under $300 list can be confusing but the brand has been investing their time on making more affordable devices and the Inspiron 15 3000 3580 is one of them. The device runs on the Intel Celeron processor 4205U with up to 2MB cache.
Unlike several others on the list, this one runs on the Windows 10 Home in S mode in the 64-bit variant. It is also integrated with the Intel UHD graphics 610, enabling you to experience the best of the videos and multimedia on the device.
Even with the price point, this is one of those rare devices that is equipped with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD for storage. It also responds to higher and better functionalities with all the latest ports and connectivity options.
8. Lenovo Chromebook S345 (14”) laptop
Another affordable Chromebook from Lenovo is the Chromebook S345 featuring a stunning 14-inch FHD display and a sleek and lightweight design.
This is the perfect device for the users who are looking for and easy to use device but with heightened performance at the same time.
Aside from the stunning display, the Chromebook runs on the 7th Generation AMD A6-9220C Processor with the integrated Radeon graphics for enhanced performance. It does run on the Chrome OS and provides the users with a multitude of apps to play around with.
Coming round to the storage and memory, the Chromebook S345 is integrated with 4GB DDR4 RAM and 64GB eMMC for seamless storage requirements. You also get cloud storage, which takes care of your needs when it comes to keeping your files and documents sorted out.
9. ASUS Laptop L210 Ultra-Thin Laptop
The ASUS Laptop L210 is one of the most affordable devices from the brand and features some of the best functionalities for improved and unmatched performance.
It features a compact 11.6” HD display with narrow bezels on either side. As for the performance, the device runs on the Intel Celeron N4020 Processor for unmatched performance and all-day productivity.
The design of the device is pretty compact and lightweight, making it extremely easier for you to carry the device around without any hassle. It does feature a 180-degree hinge that enables easier sharing and collaboration.
The device comes with an ASUS numberpad on the touchpad, making it a perfect option for the business. It also provides with all-day battery life, so you can use and work on it anywhere you are. The device also features a fanless device for silent work. As for the memory and storage, it features 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC for storage options.
10. HP Stream 14-inch Laptop Under $300
Last but not the least on the list is the HP Stream laptop that features a 14-inch display that allows you to shift your focus and get started on your home workspace.
It is integrated with an HD display with the BrightView technology.
The device runs on the Intel Celeron N4000 processor with Intel UHD graphics for crisp visuals and true color reproduction on the device. It also programmed with the 4GB memory and 64GB eMMC storage for unmatched productivity throughout the day.
HP Stream also features a stunning wireless connectivity options with Bluetooth 4.2 and the latest Wi-Fi technology. Moreover, the device is also programmed with up to 14 hours of battery life, pretty much staying by your side throughout the day.
Things to Remember Before Buying a Budget Laptop
There is no doubt that purchasing a budget laptop has several merits, not the least of which is a considerable sum saved that you can invest in school or your business instead. However, while making the acquisition, keep in mind that:
- You should not expect top-tier hardware. Manufacturers have to cut corners somewhere, and many cheap laptops offer limited storage space and memory. However, there frequently are options to plug into card readers, devices through USB ports, etc., to access anything you might need.
- You are unlikely to experience the visual brilliance of a dedicated graphics card like NVIDIA GTX or RTX. There is simply not enough processing muscle, and you must make peace with integrated graphics. However, that is not to deny that many inexpensive laptops now offer compelling displays with vivid colors and details.
- Cheap laptops work best when you perform standard computing pursuits like creating documents or presentations, checking e-mail, and browsing the internet. While you can pursue some degree of CPU-intensive work (such as image- or video editing), you should remember that the speeds and efficiencies will be much lower than pricier laptops with more processing prowess. Few of these laptops will be suitable for gaming or processor-draining endeavors like simulation and 3D modeling.
- Don’t expect too many fancy features in sub-$300 laptops (read keyboards with per-key lighting, surround sound, etc.). Manufacturers prioritize low prices, and the resulting products are usually pruned of features that are delightful but not indispensable for day-to-day requirements.
How did you find our list of the best laptops under $300 2021—did you come across a computer that spoke to you?
Not so many years back, it would have been almost unthinkable to expect good performance and versatility of use from a laptop this affordable; indeed, budget laptops were few and far between and looked down upon for being cheap rather than compact or competent.
But times have changed and how, and cost-effectiveness is a mantra that many top brands have embraced.
A close survey of the marketplace reveals several cheap laptops that may not cost you the big bucks but definitely cater to regular computing needs, while also packing in useful features like a convertible design, high-quality audio, pleasing graphics, and excellent all-round connectivity.
For instance, if you are eying responsiveness hand-in-hand with mobility, you can consider purchasing a Chromebook. If you wish to cater to a wide gamut of needs and also enjoy offerings like superior audio and fast charging, a Lenovo budget laptop will be a good pick.
We leave you with one final bit of advice pertaining to cheap laptops: remember what you are signing up for. Don’t go about expecting the moon, but if you choose well, you are likely to land among the stars.