In this article, we discuss the ins and outs of premium—well, relatively so— best gaming laptop under $1500 2023 to help you arrive at a considered decision regarding their purchase.
We have also assembled some of the finest options in the marketplace today that deliver excellent performance at a budget-friendly price.
Until not too long ago, gaming on a laptop was a distant dream. People preferred desktops for the sheer magnitude of processing power, superior specs and high-quality graphics—something that seemed impossible to attain in a laptop.
With time, however, not only have gaming laptops become a reality, but they have also become very popular.
Today, you can play most high-end games on laptops and experience desktop-level enjoyment. While many of these devices are expensive—upwards of $2000 or $2500—some can be purchased at less than $1500 as well.
In the bid to offer capable computers on a budget, many manufacturers have deepened their commitment to intelligent design. The product lines, of course, vary vastly across brands.
For instance, while HP is committed to a secure, dependable computing experience, Asus is keen on staying abreast of the latest advancements in the gaming landscape. Companies like Razer go the extra mile to bring you immense power and visuals so grand it is almost desktop-class.
Thanks to this abundance of choices and priorities, gaming audiences can take their pick according to their specific requirements.
Computers, in their atavistic avatars, may have been used exclusively for number crunching and data computation. But in modern times, one of their core purposes in life is helping you escape reality by immersing yourself in an alternate, fascinating world. Or, in other words: gaming.
With more and more computer manufacturers jumping on the video-game bandwagon, the marketplace is replete with gaming laptops that help you contest with foes on the battlefield and emerge as the victor.
For a gaming device to offer you a competent mix of performance and A/V merits, it must have both a high-speed processor and a display with an optimal refresh rate.
While the former helps you run the latest AAA titles, complete with all the CPU-heavy paraphernalia they require, the latter is essential to minimize stutter and ensure that the games get rendered as the makers intended them.
It is in achieving this combo that many brands struggle. This is why locating a high-performance gaming laptop with a refresh rate of 144Hz, and a price tag that doesn’t burn a hole in your wallet is an immensely tall order.
Most of these laptops are from the stables of reputed computer manufacturers and promise sustainable, reliable gaming experiences.
But before we dive into this mesmerizing world, let us find out something crucial about the world of gaming: the importance of refresh rate and how to locate a computer that knows it too.
- Our Picks: Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500 for 2023
- 1. ASUS ROG Strix G15 (Ryzen 7 6800H + RTX 3050)
- 2. GIGABYTE AERO 16 XE5 (RTX 3070Ti)
- 3. Victus by HP 16 Gaming Laptop
- 4. ASUS TUF Dash 15 Gaming laptop (2022)
- 5. Acer Nitro 5 AN515-58-527S Gaming Laptop
- 6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Alan Walker SE
- 7. MSI Pulse GL66 Gaming Laptop
- 8. ASUS TUF A15 Gaming Laptop (2022)
- 9. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S
- 10. Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop Under $1500
- Quick Checklist for a Top-notch Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500
- Pros and Cons of Affordable Gaming Laptops Under $1500
- Should You Purchase a Gaming Laptop Under $1500?
- What to Look for in an Under $1500 Gaming Laptop
- What is Refresh Rate & Why is it Important in a Gaming Laptop?
- Final Word
Our Picks: Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500 for 2023
We have designed the list of best gaming laptop under 1500 dollars in 2023 to suit a variety of need and priorities—from cost-effectiveness and superior battery life to additional gaming features sought out by pros.
Best Gaming Laptop Under 1500 – Recommended Specs
|Processor||12th Generation Intel Core i7-12700H
14-Core Processor (Up to 4.7 GHz)
|Graphics||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
6GB dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
|Memory||16GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory|
|Storage||512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD|
|Display||15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080)
Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
|Weight||Under 6 lbs.|
|Battery||Up to 6 Hours|
|Keyboard||4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard|
|OS||Windows 11 Home 64-bit|
1. ASUS ROG Strix G15 (Ryzen 7 6800H + RTX 3050)
With a superior heat dissipation mechanism and powerful processing, the 15.6” Asus ROG Strix G15 G513RC is a sensible gaming laptop that is also cost-effective.
It is driven by a speedy AMD Ryzen 7 6800H CPU, 16GB RAM, a 1TB SSD, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 graphics.
The 300Hz FHD screen is fitted with an IPS panel for optimal viewing comfort.
Asus has equipped this laptop with ROG Intelligent Cooling thermal system with adjustable fan modes to ensure efficient cooling and long-term sustainability.
Thanks to anti-dust technology, the inner components of this computer stay protected from wear and tear even after charged up gaming.
2. GIGABYTE AERO 16 XE5 (RTX 3070Ti)
Sleek design and superior performance are what defines GIGABYTE AERO 16 XE5 gaming laptop. The device enables you to experience the ultimate gaming experience like no other you’d normally come across.
It is one of the few gaming devices in the market that features the absolute best user experience beyond expectations.
From the sleek design to the lightweight portability, the device weighs under 2.5kg, enabling you to take it around with ease.
The gaming device is powered by the 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700H processor with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GPU with NVIDIA Max-Q for AI rendering and real-time ray tracing technology.
The gaming laptop is further equipped with a 16” thin bezel UHD+ display with 2400p screen resolution and samsung AMOLED display with 100% DCI-P3.
It is also integrated with the Windforce Infinity full-copper cooling technology for superior all-day performance like no other. The device features 1TB SSD for storage and 16GB RAM for superior multitasking throughout the day.
3. Victus by HP 16 Gaming Laptop
If you are hunting for a responsive and robust gaming laptop, we’d highly recommend looking into the Victus by HP.
Besides the reasonable price point, the model stands out with its immaculate configuration and gaming focused processing power.
Not only is it a good-looking notebook, the model is powered by the latest 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700H and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU, both of which render some of the best performance that you can possibly expect.
Related Post: Top 5 Best HP Gaming Laptops 2023 (latest 12th Gen. CPU & RTX 30 GPU)
The appealing screen is equipped with a 16” FHD display panel with 1080p screen resolution to take on some of the most graphics-intensive games with a stride. HP has also integrated the model with a backlit keyboard, which is a further benefit to the purchase.
Besides the sturdy built and immaculate performance, HP also provides the gaming laptop with enhanced thermals, which prevents the risks of overheating altogether. It does feature a plastic build, which can be a turn off for some users. However, the overall build of the keypad and touchpad is quite promising. Also, performance is further elevated with the combination of 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM.
Reasons to buy
- Stunning and responsive design
- Immersive display configuration
- Optimal storage and RAM
Reasons to avoid
- Plastic build and construction
- Audio output is underwhelming
4. ASUS TUF Dash 15 Gaming laptop (2022)
The TUF Dash 15 2022 version is a versatile next-gen gaming laptop that addresses all your gaming and hyper-productive needs.
Ideal for games, editors and data analysts, the model is a multipurpose beast that caters to all your needs and more. Besides the sleek design, TUF Dash 15 features a comfortable keyboard and flexible hinges for the ultimate user experience.
With a price range under $1500, the TUF Dash 15 manages to squeeze in the latest 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12650H Processor with RTX 3060 GPU for uninterrupted and ultimate performance like no other. Surprisingly, the gaming laptop is also integrated with MUX switch that reduces the latency and improves overall performance.
Equipped with a 15.6” FHD display with 1080p screen resolution, enjoying the latest games won’t ever be a hurdle. Integrated with 144Hz refresh rate, gamers get to live through each frame in the game and experience true to life color reproduction with crisp visuals.
Overall, the construction of TUF Dash 15 lives up to the MIL-STD-810H military standard construction and features self-cleaning arc flow fans for optimal thermal management of the gaming laptop. The gaming laptop also features 512GB SSD storage with 16GB RAM configuration.
- Optimal performance with latest processor
- Decent battery life
- Powerful audio output
- Visuals could be better, especially in terms of color saturation
5. Acer Nitro 5 AN515-58-527S Gaming Laptop
Budget-friendly and powerful laptop creation is what Acer stands out for. So, when looking for highly competitive gaming laptop, the Acer Nitro 5 is hands down one of the best options in the market.
Powered by the latest 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12500H processor, the gaming laptop packs maximum power for the ultimate performance and productivity along the way.
Also check, Top 5 Best Acer Gaming Laptops 2023 – Latest Models
Coming to the GPU configuration, the Nitro 5 is integrated with the latest RTX 3060 GPU with the new ray tracing cores, tensor cores and streaming multiprocessors for the ultimate gaming performance.
Furthermore, the 15.6” FHD IPS display in the laptop features sharp visual identity with 144Hz refresh rate for fluid gameplay experience. Surprising, the combination of Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet E2600 and Killer Wi-Fi 6 1650 enables the users to make the most out of the wireless configuration in the device.
Backed with MUX switch, the GPU directly connects with the display to enhance the gaming performance and offer seamless gameplay experience to the users. It is integrated with 512GB SSD storage and 16GB memory for superior multitasking.
- Features a stunning RGB-backlit keyboard
- Responsive display configuration
- Refined chassis with dual-fan cooling
- Battery life is subpar
6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Alan Walker SE
The second ASUS on this list is a 15.6” gaming laptop tailor-made for intensely engaging gaming experiences. The ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 offers the winning amalgam of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti graphics, an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS CPU, and a 144Hz display.
On the processing front, this laptop is sound. The CPU is ably supported by 16GB RAM and 1TB of SSD memory.
The heat dissipation is effective too, with the ROG Intelligent cooling system employing anti-dust technology to keep the computer running coolly.
In the look-and-feel department, this laptop is quite a stunner, what with its two contrasting brushed finishes and a distinctive diagonal slash. The black-and-Gray color scheme is a classic, reflecting the power that this laptop holds within.
7. MSI Pulse GL66 Gaming Laptop
RTX 3070 gaming laptop under $1500
MSI has, over time, developed a solid reputation for building sturdy, performance-oriented laptops that combine modern trends with a quintessential core.
The 15.6” MSI Pulse GL66 follows this legacy, with its 12th gen Intel Core i7-12700H CPU, NVIDIA RTX 3070 graphics, and swift-response-time monitor (3ms).
The IPS level display provides crowd-pleasing benefits, the highlight among which is a color gamut of 72% NTSC and 100% sRGB. The refresh rate offered is 144Hz.
Related Post: Top 10 Best MSI Gaming Laptops 2023 (i9-12900HX + RTX 3080Ti)
The latest RTX graphics card lets you delight in the power of real-time ray tracing—a futuristic technology where in-game light imitates the behavior of light in real life.
It also enhances gaming imagery using artificial intelligence, creating genuinely breathtaking worlds. Remember: RTX gaming laptops are still considerably pricier than GTX laptops, which is another reason this offering is a steal.
If you have more budget, check out Best Gaming Laptops Under $2000
To be able to deliver the superior performance that it does, this computer is equipped with 16GB RAM and 512GB of SSD storage.
The Cooler Boost 5 technology uses an assortment of two fans, two exhausts, and six heat pipes (copper) to keep the system cool and functioning sweat-free.
On the whole, this laptop is stylish and portable with a weight of 4.63lbs (thickness: 0.94”). It has a sleek, clean chassis with the standard red-lining design of MSI and a gaming keyboard with translucent key edges.
We particularly love the MSI App player—it helps you to game on seamlessly between your laptop and mobile phone. Enhancing the standard audio output is an audio enhancer by Nahimic 3 Digital 7.1. The Killer LAN deserves special notice too, for the neat way in which it helps you prioritize network traffic for your game.
8. ASUS TUF A15 Gaming Laptop (2022)
ASUS has always prioritized accessibility of their laptops, be in with the easy availability or the affordability. So, when discussing about the best gaming laptops under $1500, we had to include ASUS TUF Gaming A15 (2022) in the list.
Despite the affordable price range, the gaming laptop integrates every last bit of advanced features that you’d expect in your device. Thanks to the latest AMD Ryzen 7 6800H CPU, the gamers and personal users can maximize their performance and efficiency without any delays. Moreover, the device is backed with RTX 3060 GPU configuration that tackles the graphics-intensive workloads in the laptop.
Also see, the top 10 best ASUS gaming laptops 2023 with RTX 3080Ti GPU
The highlight of the device is the GPU MUX switch that renders optimal visuals and vividness on the display. Equipped with the responsive 15.6” FHD IPS-type display and 300Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response, the clarity in the display takes the cake.
Users also get to maximize their productivity with 512TB SSD of storage that supports smoother data transfer and faster boot-up. Further paired with 16GB DDR5 RAM, multitasking won’t ever be an option for the gamers in the house. The laptop runs on Windows 11 Home OS.
- Supports upgradeable storage configuration
- Allows seamless multitasking experience
- Reduced latency with GPU MUX switch
- Responsive and ultra-smooth display panel
- Military grade construction
- Webcam configuration isn’t the best
9. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S
Sub-$1200 gaming laptop with 6-hour battery life
A 15.6” machine that comes in at just under $1500, the Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S is a marvel of design and function.
Fueled by an 10th gen Intel Core i7-11800H processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB of SSD memory and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics, this Predator is ample to run most modern AAA titles on a stutter-free, 144Hz display.
The FHD screen is fitted with an IPS panel to grant you viewing comfort from multiple vantage points. To its merit, this computer also offers up to seven hours of battery life—a feature that does wonders for the portability of this already lightweight and slim machine (4.85lbs, 0.9”).
While this laptop manages to meet a sub-$1200 price point, it does not compromise on the beauty of the display. Along with the high refresh rate, you get a brightness of 300 nits and a color gamut of 72% NTSC.
This makes the colors and details pop, all the flourishes intact and vivid. Keeping everything cool is an AeroBlade cooling system with two metallic fans (3D).
Acer has ensured top-notch design standards for this offering. The build features red accents and geometric lines—a combination that adds to the dramatic appeal of the black chassis.
In stand-out features, this laptop brings you stunning sound; Acer TrueHarmony and DTS X Ultra combine to produce loud, clear audio that builds scintillating gaming sessions.
Note that this device is equipped with abundant USB ports, a backlit keyboard, and Wi-Fi 6. So, connecting to peripherals or hopping onto the World Wide Web will not be a hassle at all. It is also fitted with an HD Webcam with Super High Dynamic Range (SHDR) to let you interact with your gaming buddies via top-quality video.
10. Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop Under $1500
Lenovo is not the best brand known for their gaming laptops but in case you have been on the lookout for some affordable gaming device, the Lenovo Legion 5 is hands down the best option in the market.
The device looks stunning with the elegant build and design and has a very sleek and lightweight approach to it which makes it easier for you to carry it around without any hassle.
Coming round to the processors and the performance of the device, it is powered by latest AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor with 8 cores and 16 threads for seamless productivity and glitch free gaming experience that you will likely not experience anywhere else.
Alongside, it is also equipped with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti GPU for faster performance beyond comprehension.
The device also packs in 16GB RAM along with 512GB SSD for storage, which might not seem like a lot right off the bat but if you are a gamer who streams their games online for the most part, this will serve the purpose right.
Also, it comes with the standard 15.6” FHD display with anti-glare feature and a refresh rate of 144Hz.
- Best Gaming Laptops Under $1000
- Best Gaming Laptops Under $2000
- Best Core i9 Gaming Laptops
- Top Best AMD Ryzen Laptops 2023
- Best 240Hz Gaming Laptops
Quick Checklist for a Top-notch Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500
While hunting for a 144Hz gaming laptop, ensure you also have your eye on:
- A high-speed processor (Intel Core i5 and above): This is critical to fuel your high-adrenaline gaming sessions. A high refresh rate won’t serve you well unless your CPU can back things up.
- A dedicated GPU: Integrated graphics are unlikely to be ample for fast-track gaming. Look for a laptop with a dedicated GPU (e.g., NVIDIA GTX). If you have the budget, you can also explore NVIDIA RTX GPUs and experience brilliant visual effects with real-time ray tracing.
- An anti-glare screen and an IPS panel: Since you are investing in a high-refresh-rate monitor, chances are you will be staring at the screen for long hours. An anti-glare panel and IPS compatibility (In-Plane Switching) will keep your experience strain-free and comfortable across viewing positions.
- Anti-stutter technology (NVIDIA G-SYNC or AMD FreeSync): While the best way to avoid screen tearing or stuttering is to invest in a laptop with an optimal refresh rate (144Hz or at least 120Hz), you can also explore technologies like NVIDIA G-SYNC or AMD FreeSync. These technologies reduce screen tearing and ghosting by synchronizing the display panel with the graphics card. So, the monitor will update only when the card sends a frame, thereby keeping the two in sync irrespective of the frame rate.
- A superior sound system: Games with fast-changing movements tend to rely heavily on sound for building realistic, captivating worlds. A laptop with acoustics that complements the 144Hz display will help you derive the best results.
Pros and Cons of Affordable Gaming Laptops Under $1500
Gaming on a laptop is a premise that was unfathomable only a couple of years ago. With the advent of superior design and intelligent technologies of heat management, it has become possible to perform complicated multimedia tasks on compact devices. Let us do a quick assessment of inexpensive gaming laptops and see what they bring to the table.
- Many inexpensive gaming laptops now provide the processing power to support games such as Fortnite and Overwatch at moderate to high settings.
- Manufacturers have risen to the needs of modern audiences and equipped cheap gaming laptops with many premium features. For instance, it is possible to experience the glamour of NVIDIA RTX graphics and a high refresh rate on an under-$1500 gaming machine. You can also get fine-tuned audio by Bang & Olufsen as well as surround sound in your headphones.
- You save precious dollars that you can then invest in gaming paraphernalia such as controllers, external devices and mice.
- Many gamers like to embrace the latest trends and acquire new laptop models as and when available. If you get a budget-friendly notebook now, it leaves you with greater flexibility to purchase a fresh model a few years down the line. You won’t have to make two hefty investments close on each other’s heels.
- Inexpensive gaming laptops can frequently double up as excellent multimedia devices for film enthusiasts, editors, photographers, artists, and other creative professionals. They can be used for creating and editing multimedia content, thus expanding their usability. Effectively, you did not rob a bank to acquire a gaming laptop, but you did end up getting a versatile, multipurpose machine, nonetheless.
- You will have to be extra cautious while selecting a gaming laptop in the budget-range. Many picks tend to have poor design, cheap-quality keyboards, and flimsy construction.
- Upgradeability is not usually high among laptops in the budget aisle. You are stuck with the specifications you buy, and, if your needs change, the likelihood is that you will have to buy a new laptop.
- It is still difficult to get the desktop-league experience on gaming laptops, especially ones that are cheaper than $2000. Part of this is due to the cooling mechanism—desktops almost always have a better airflow, thus enjoying more sustainability and long-term performance. (Laptops are working on equaling this through technologies like anti-dust and adjustable fan speeds.)
Should You Purchase a Gaming Laptop Under $1500?
Cheap gaming devices span a wide spectrum of prices—from as little as $500 to $1000. When you get home a laptop close to $1500, you are investing in the moderately-priced range, which means you will still get access to many top-of-the-rung features.
Powerful processing and engaging graphics—the two mainstays of gaming—are in full form in such laptops. This makes them great picks for anyone who loves gaming but also wishes to save some money.
The pros notwithstanding, cheap gaming machines are not suitable for everyone. You should buy a budget gaming companion only if:
- You like gaming, but are not, let us say, obsessed with experiencing the highest level of gameplay attainable.
- You are willing to compromise on some specifications, such as the refresh rate, available storage or portability. For instance, few budget gamers can offer a refresh rate of 240Hz, more than 512GB of storage or an ultra-light chassis of 4–5lbs.
- You are open to the idea of upgrading to a pricier laptop in the near future if and when your requirements change.
- You are not a stickler for immersive sound. While some laptops under $2000 now offer distortion-free audio, it remains a challenge for most gaming notebooks. This can in no small part be attributed to the high-speed fans that laptops require for heat dissipation. Desktops and premium laptops tend to have more efficient (and less noisy) cooling systems, which contribute to better audio.
- Note: Surprising as it is, you can also find gaming laptops in the range of $800–$1000. Some of these devices are simply everyday computers that you can also use to play some games—at moderate settings at best. But it would be pushing it too far to expect such devices to give you the adrenaline rush of immersive graphics or the breakneck speeds that form the backbone of many AAA games.
What to Look for in an Under $1500 Gaming Laptop
Truth be told, these laptops are not really “budget”. However, they are relatively inexpensive when compared to the higher end of the spectrum with computers exceeding $2500 in pricing. That said, they still need to deliver ample power for your gaming pursuits. When you are out looking for a gaming laptop that can meet your needs, ensure that it satisfies these criteria:
A competent CPU
Most laptops in this space have an Intel Core i7 processor, which proves capable of supporting contemporary games like PUBG and Fortnite. You can also look for an AMD equivalent; AMD processors are especially gifted at multitasking and also come in cheaper.
It is important not to settle for a mediocre processor since doing so will seriously limit your gameplay and the range of settings you can enjoy. It is also helpful if the CPU supports overclocking. As for the number of cores, you can settle for a processor that has four or six; there is little point in doing overkill here.
Adequate RAM and storage
Aim to get at least 16GB RAM and 512GB of storage. Ideally, the laptop should offer an SSD (solid-state drive) for superior read/write speeds and swift loading. SSDs also tend to have more longevity and quick booting, both of which are helpful for intensive pursuits like gaming. An even better option is to get a mix of SSD and HDD (hard disk drive).
That way, your primary gaming files that can benefit from a quick boot-up can rest on the SSD, while the rest of your stuff can go on the HDD. However, not many under-$1500 laptops offer this combination storage yet.
Some laptops offer easy upgradeability for the memory and storage through easy-to-access slots. This comes in handy when you wish to upgrade the specs of your laptop but avoid investing in a whole new device—a scenario all too common for gamers.
Effective heat dissipation
Gaming is a CPU-draining pursuit and generates immense heat. Unless the laptop has a functional heat dissipation mechanism, the build-up will affect your experience. Look for cooling systems that utilize good airflow. Innovations such as anti-dust keep the innards cool and working at their optimum. Some laptops in this league offer aeroblade fans for faster air circulation.
Dedicated graphics card
This is pretty much mandatory if you wish to play high-end games at high-end settings. Integrated graphics simply won’t cut it for games that involve multiple transitions, details, special effects, etc.
While an NVIDIA GTX card can support many contemporary games, you can also look for an NVIDIA RTX card. Some under-$1500 gaming laptops do offer the grandeur of RTX, complete with real-time ray tracing, better performance, and artificial intelligence.
A bright and engaging display is a prerequisite for a laptop to qualify as a gamer. Look for an FHD display with a narrow-bezel design for minimal external interference. It is recommended to get a 15.6” screen (at least) or a 17” one, depending on your requirements.
While the former is more portable and better suited to outdoor events, the latter is closer to a desktop experience. Also, check that the screen has an IPS panel (In-Plane Switching). This will be important to let you view the screen from various angles/positions, without encountering distortion.
An important parameter of the display is the refresh rate or the number of times in a second that your screen refreshes. A good metric is 144Hz; you will be hard-placed to find 240Hz laptops in this price range. Also, aim to get a rich color gamut (100% sRGB is superb), a quick response time (close to 3ms) and a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080.
Gaming is an endeavor that needs plenty of connections—from controllers and mice to keyboards and external displays. Ensure that the laptop you purchase has an assortment of USB ports, HDMI, display ports, and compatibility with Wi-Fi and LAN. Some notebooks support Killer Wi-Fi that helpfully optimizes your internet bandwidth, directing it toward your game.
Rich audio output
What is a great game without terrific sound? Since much of modern gameplay relies on high-quality audio, the laptop should support good sound, rich bass, and ample volume. In the under-$1500 range, you can find laptops with Bang & Olufsen audio, DTS: x Ultra surround sound and fine-tuning technologies for minimal distortion and noise. Even when the laptop is compact and portable, smart design can ensure that sound quality does not get affected.
A full-purpose keyboard with smart keys, anti-ghosting, and backlighting can make gaming more enjoyable. You can find laptops with per-key backlighting even in this price range, though more choices abound in the zonal-lighting segment. Also, check that the keyboard is sturdily built and torture tested since it will be getting plenty of animated activity during gaming.
Dependable build and construction
If portability is important to you, it is possible to find cheap gaming laptops weighing 5–6lbs. Otherwise, even if the laptop is heavy and space-consuming, it is paramount to check that it is dependably built, with well-made hinges and components, and long-lasting polish.
Nothing is a worse eyesore than a gaming laptop, supposedly all-powerful, with shoddy design and a flimsy chassis. If aesthetics matter to you, search for accents and highlights, brand logos, and stand-out patterns. Some laptops have metallic top covers for extra glamour.
The above parameters are essentials in any gaming laptop worth its salt. No matter how budget-conscious the purchase, you should guarantee that these criteria are met so that you can enjoy fluid and uninterrupted gameplay. Remember that you may have to give up on certain features that are characteristic of portable laptops, such as long battery life. Or, you may not get too many color choices that are common with some contemporary notebooks focused on style.
What is Refresh Rate & Why is it Important in a Gaming Laptop?
The refresh rate of a laptop is defined as the number of times in one second that the screen updates itself.
A higher refresh rate is preferable for gaming because it lets you see more frames per second. The result will be a smoother video with higher precision and more responsiveness.
So, while the standard refresh rate for laptops is 60Hz (which means 60 times in one second), you are likely to find this lacking for heavy-duty gaming. For the latter, the recommended metric in 2023 is 144Hz.
But wait—can the eye really detect a difference between a monitor with a 60Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz display? You bet! Yes, if you don’t intend to use your laptop for serious gaming and only ever play low-key games without fast-moving objects, you might get along fine with a 60Hz display.
But for gameplay at high frame rates—where the fun truly belongs—you need a monitor that can update itself swiftly and let your eyes track movements realistically. This becomes almost imperative to play shooter and fighter games; it is less significant for strategy-oriented games.
Note that the refresh rate is distinct from the response time which is the number of milliseconds it takes for a pixel to change color. But yes, this is also a crucial metric for a gaming laptop.
If your display has a high response time and a low refresh rate, but you try to play a game at maximum frame settings, you are setting yourself up for stuttering and screen tearing.
Have you decided on your gaming laptop yet? As times change and video games evolve further, gaming machines are also working harder to deliver gratifying experiences.
The market is resplendent with productive competition, where giants like Dell, MSI and HP are matching wits with innovative players like ASUS and Acer.
It isn’t straightforward to offer dazzling performance with engaging graphics at a budget-friendly price. However, the evolution of design technologies and architectures has helped bridge the gap between cost and future-friendliness to a large extent.
When shopping for your gaming soulmate, a good way to start is by enlisting your priorities.
For instance, you might covet a gaming machine that, along with cost effectiveness and a 144Hz display, also adapts well to outdoor marathons and peer-events.
In this case, you should zero down on a laptop with good battery back-up (#8). If casual gaming is more your cup of tea, you can save some precious dollars by getting #7 or #3. For a future-ready gaming machine equipped with stellar features for professionals and competitive gamers, we would recommend #1, #2 or #4.
Whatever you do, remember this: once skill and tact are accounted for, your game can only be as good as your gaming machine.