10 Best ASUS Gaming Laptops 2020
Powerhouse Asus laptops to fuel your game
Think gaming laptop, and the Republic of Gamers (ROG) series by ASUS instantly comes to mind. In the past few years, the Taiwanese electronics company has established itself as one of the leading manufacturers of gaming laptops.
ASUS has a finger right on the pulse of this audience, which is why it has been successful in coming up with offerings that instantly click.
As a laptop manufacturer, ASUS has truly found its calling in the gaming laptop segment.
From desktop-replacement machines to portable laptops for everyday gameplay, ASUS has evolved into a brand that genuinely understands the pulse of its audience.
Today, one can find a vast variety of options in ASUS’s umbrella, spanning budgets and features. At one end of the spectrum, you can find a gaming computer that travels well and comes in at just over $1000. And at the other end, you have devices that are full-function and ultra-powerful beings parading about in the guise of laptops.
As you examine the Asus lineup of gaming laptops, you can find something for every type of gamer. There is a mighty stalwart with a capable CPU, excellent graphics, and efficient cooling.
There is also an all-rounder that supports a satisfactory gaming standard while also being portable. Whether your priorities are design or speed, visuals or external connections, you are likely to find a mate.
Earlier in 2020, Asus announced several new additions to the ROG series, with new laptops in the Zephyrus, Strix and G-Series range.
The announcement has further expanded your choices by creating picks tailored to specific needs like color calibration, sustainability, and longer battery life.
In this feature, we have put together for you a list of the best Asus gaming laptops that money can buy. They span across categories, from the best in performance to the best in mobility, based on what floats your boat. Here is to many, many hours of glories on the arena!
ASUS Gaming Laptops: Special Features
Coming to the million-dollar question: should you choose to buy an Asus laptop over the many competitors that now exist in the market? Well, it certainly is true that Asus faces stiff competition from brands such as MSI, Acer, Lenovo and Dell.
However, it does boast of some unique selling propositions that make it stand apart from the crowd. Here are some guidelines to help you arrive at a purchase decision:
- Keeping in tune with the times: Asus gaming machines are modern and endowed with the latest technologies in the gaming domain. If you like being up to speed and engaging in gameplay with the best tools in the arsenal, Asus understands you and how. For example, many Asus gaming laptops now offer NVIDIA RTX graphics cards and G-SYNC technology. Some of them are packed with unique features such as detachable webcams, adjustable fan modes for customized cooling, and anti-dust technology for thermal management.
- Long warranty period: Asus offers a reassuring warranty period of two years for several laptops. Many peers provide only a one-year warranty.
- Manageable price point: Pricing is one of Asus’s strong points. Competent gaming laptops with top-notch specifications are available in the $1000–$1500 price bucket. This is a surprisingly low price to pay for notebooks so capable! Also, while these might come across as “budget” buys, they do not cut too many corners when it comes to performance or display.
- Resilient motherboards: Asus gaming laptops boast of strong motherboards, which goes a long way in increasing their longevity of use. This comes from the company’s long-standing experience in manufacturing motherboards before foraying into the gaming space.
- Dependable brand name: Since Asus has established itself as a reliable brand in the gaming market, you can be guaranteed of quality. In 2016, for instance, the Asus ROG series won four awards at Computex 2016. In 2017, the ROG GX800 bagged the prestigious CES Innovation Award for being the world’s first liquid-cooled laptop. Depending on your usage and handling, these machines are likely to serve you well for a long time.
Remember though, Asus is a very active brand when it comes to announcing upgrades to its products. Every few months (or less), Asus launches upgraded versions of gaming laptops that offer more powerful configurations, better prices, and trendy features.
One downside of this is that your computer might feel “outdated” pretty soon, especially if you are one of those who like to be cued in on trends.
- ASUS Gaming Laptops: Special Features
- Our Picks: Top 10 Best ASUS Gaming Laptops 2020
- 1. ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 – Best Dual Screen ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 2. ASUS ROG Strix G15/17 – Best Budget ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 3. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 – Best Ryzen ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 – Best AMD ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 5. ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 – Best Portable ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 – Best 17 Inch ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 7. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S15 – Best 15 Inch ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 8. ASUS ROG Strix SCAR 15/17 – Powerful ASUS Gaming Laptop
- 9. Asus ROG Strix G GL731GT-PH74 Gaming Laptop
- 10. ASUS TUF Gaming A15 – Best Budget ASUS Gaming Laptop
- What Should You Look for in an Asus Gaming Laptop?
- Which Asus Gaming Line-Up Should You Consider?
- The Long and Short of It
Our Picks: Top 10 Best ASUS Gaming Laptops 2020
The list below covers best ASUS gaming laptops across budgets and considerations. There is something for every need—from premium purchases that leave you awestruck to all-rounder machines that are also surprisingly portable.
We have put together this list to help you find the perfect gaming partner from the ASUS house, so we hope you find one that is just right!
In this article, we have covered some of the worthiest ASUS gaming laptops that money can buy. Before taking your pick, consider your requirements closely and factor in the budget. Since gaming laptops don’t come in cheap, it is wise to think for the long-term before taking a dive.
|Recommended Specs for ASUS Gaming Laptop|
|Processor||Intel Core i7 Hexa-Core (up to 4.5GHz)|
|Graphics||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070|
|Memory||16GB DDR4 RAM|
|Storage||1TB PCIe Solid State Drive|
|Display||240Hz 3ms FHD (1920x1080) IPS|
|Weight||Under 5 lbs.|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Home|
1. ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 – Best Dual Screen ASUS Gaming Laptop
But, in case you have been on the lookout for a dual screen ASUS gaming laptop, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 is hands down the best option.
This is a device that lets you expand your creative horizons and explore new dimensions.
The combination of the 10th Gen Intel Core i9 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GPU allows you to create and stay productive seamlessly.
The ultra-slim device is equipped with 15.6” non-glare UHD IPS panel display with a screen resolution of 2160p and a refresh rate of 60Hz.
The device is also equipped with a 14.1” touchscreen secondary display that further makes multitasking easy.
It also supports up to 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD for storage and up to 48GB RAM for memory options. It also runs on Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro operating system.
2. ASUS ROG Strix G15/17 – Best Budget ASUS Gaming Laptop
The streamlined design with an improved core experience allows you to stream some heavy-duty games and multitask on the side too.
Combine that with the 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU and a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GPU that offers a high-FPS power for smoother gaming experience.
The device comes in two variants of 15.6” and 17.3” FHD IPS-panel level display. It also supports up to 240Hz refresh rate along with 3ms overdrive response for a seamless gaming experience beyond your imagination.
You also do get a backlit chiclet keyboard along with a storage and memory options of up to 1TB (+512GB) SSD and up to 32 GB RAM.
3. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 – Best Ryzen ASUS Gaming Laptop
Not every gamer prefers using the Intel Core integrated devices.
If you are one of them and would rather prefer the Ryzen processors for your gaming laptop, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 is hands down one of the best available options in the market.
The device comes with a very dynamic and lightweight design that you can carry around without any hassle. The device is also termed as the world’s most powerful 14-inch Windows 10 Pro Gaming laptop.
The combination of the 8-core AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS CPU and potent GeForce RTX 2060 GPU further braves through heavy-duty games and seamless multitasking without any hassle at all. It also allows interchangeable 120Hz gaming display or a high resolution WQHD panel for enhanced color accuracy.
As for the storage and memory, it supports up to 1TB SSD and up to 32GB RAM for effortlessly gameplay.
4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 – Best AMD ASUS Gaming Laptop
For the heavy-duty gamers who are on the lookout for an ultra-slim but powerful laptop, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 is hands down the best one that you can get for yourself.
The combination of the latest AMD Ryzen 9 processor and GeForce RTX 2060 graphics allows you to power through work and play simultaneously without any issues at all.
Pair that with the 15.6” FHD non-glare IPS level display with 240Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response allows you to enjoy your games without any obstruction.
The device also packs in up to 1TB NVMe SSD along with up to 32GB RAM for smoother gaming and visual experience unlike anything else. The Pantone validation further allows you to experience true color accuracy for your games and media.
5. ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 – Best Portable ASUS Gaming Laptop
With a tagline of “Power meets Portability”, this device is for the creators, streamers and the gamers.
The combination of the latest 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU allows you to blaze through intensive tasks without any interruption.
The device is equipped with the 15.6” 4K UHD IPS-level panel display with up to 240Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response that allows fast-paced action while blazing through games. The magnesium alloy with the stunning design makes this a lightweight option.
It also supports up to 1TB SSD for storage along with up to 48GB RAM for memory options.
6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 – Best 17 Inch ASUS Gaming Laptop
For the heavy-duty gamers on the lookout for a wider and larger display, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 is one of the best options with 17” display for an even better user experience.
This ultra-slim Windows 10 Pro Gaming device is everything that you need for a smoother and seamless gaming experience.
Packed with the 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU and GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GPU amplifies your versatility and handle serious workloads.
The 17.3” FHD IPS-level display with 1080p screen resolution with up to 300Hz refresh rate allows you to enjoy crisp and clear frame rates while playing some of the heavy-duty games. The Pantone validated display also allows crisp and clear color payoff and display.
It is also integrated with up to 1TB SSD for storage and up to 48GB RAM for smoother gameplay without any obstruction.
7. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S15 – Best 15 Inch ASUS Gaming Laptop
This 15” device is power backed and is augmented with liquid metal that allows you to unleash the full potential of the latest features and functions in the device.
Furthermore, the combination of the 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GPU ensures seamless multitasking and faster gameplay without any obstructions.
The 15.6” non-glare Full HD IPS-level panel display with a screen resolution of 1080p and 300Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response. Built with magnesium alloy, the device is quite lightweight and comes with a storage option of up to 1TB SSD along with up to 48GB RAM for smoother user experience.
8. ASUS ROG Strix SCAR 15/17 – Powerful ASUS Gaming Laptop
Finding a good quality and powerful gaming laptop is not a thing of the past. With the ASUS ROG Strix SCAR 15/17, you can enjoy effortless gaming experience without any glitch at all.
The device is integrated with exceptional power and performance and allows you to enjoy some heavy-duty games without any hassle at all.
The Windows 10 Pro operating system further provides you with a top-tier gaming experience.
The device is also packed with a combination of the 10th Gen Intel Core i9 processors and powerful GeForce RTX graphics that takes your gaming expectations and experience to the next achievable level.
The two variants of the 15.6” and 17.3” FHD IPS-panel display allows you with a seamless visual experience with up to 300 Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response that allows to increase the overall bar of the performance.
9. Asus ROG Strix G GL731GT-PH74 Gaming Laptop
It boasts of some stellar specs: an Intel Core i7-9750H processor, 16GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 card.
This configuration is adequate for everyday gaming at moderate to high settings, even if you play demanding AAA titles. Display-wise, the immersive screen-to-body ratio (79.6%) really stands out, delivering an engaging, distortion-free experience. The FHD monitor also supports IPS for comfortable viewing from different vantage points.
Asus has committed to sustainability to ensure optimal performance for longer, and intelligent cooling is a step in the right direction.
This laptop employs two 12V fans with adjustable fan modes for effective thermal management.
From a portability perspective, you have a durable device on your hands, tested for resilience against common wear and tear. Note that it weighs 6.28lbs—while not super-light, this is quite manageable for a 17” powerhouse.
10. ASUS TUF Gaming A15 – Best Budget ASUS Gaming Laptop
If you are looking at a 15.6” screen size, then the ASUS TUF A15 is a good choice.
This ASUS gaming laptop runs on an AMD CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H) and offers 16GB RAM.
The storage space is 512GB (SSD), while the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.
Add to that mix an FHD monitor with an IPS panel and DTS Headphone: X technology, and you have a brilliant gamer that delivers exemplary audio and video. Notably, this machine provides high-fidelity virtual surround-sound (7.1-channel)—great news for anyone who wants to feel their sound!
This ASUS laptop is sturdily built and adheres to the MIL-STD-810H military standard of construction. Effectively, you can travel with it without the fear of damage during transit.
This makes it useful for outdoor events and gaming competitions. Since the heat management system comprises anti-dust technology, you are assured of optimum long-term performance.
- 10 Best MSI Gaming Laptops 2020
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $1000
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $2000
What Should You Look for in an Asus Gaming Laptop?
Not surprisingly, the exact specifications and features you will get in a gaming laptop will depend on your needs and budget. Asus has offerings throughout the spectrum, from picks for the price-sensitive to extravagances for those who won’t spare any expense. When you are out laptop shopping, there are a few essentials that you should look out for:
- Processor and Memory: Gaming is a CPU-draining pursuit. Any gaming computer worth its salt should be equipped with a powerful processor that can handle multitasking. Look for an Intel Core i7 or above (or an equivalent AMD). You will also require RAM support of at least 16GB and storage space to keep all your gaming paraphernalia. An SSD makes sense here, for its high-speed performance. Many Asus gaming laptops offer SSDs of 512GB or above. You can also opt for combo storage such as an SSD paired with good old HDD or FireCuda.
- Graphics: What would a good game be without great imagery? For a laptop to render your content satisfactorily during the game, it should have a dedicated GPU. Integrated graphics rarely deliver the same degree of performance. Many NVIDIA GTX cards can do the job well, although an RTX card has a charm of its own. Asus now offers laptops that utilize the glory of an RTX card, complete with real-time ray tracing and artificial intelligence.
- Refresh Rate and Response Time: This becomes especially important when you play games that involve multiple effects and transitions. The standard for refresh rate is 144Hz. You can also, depending on your budget, opt for Asus laptops with refresh rates of 240Hz. A response time of 3ms is a good ballpark to go with. That said, you should also check the overall design of the monitor. Ideally, a narrow-bezel design helps to improve the screen-to-body ratio and makes for a more immersive experience.
- Portability: This is highly subjective and will be a consideration only if you intend to travel with your gaming laptop. Asus provides powerful computers that weigh in the range of 5–6lbs and have thin profiles (under one inch). If mobility is important to you, pick such lightweight laptops and ensure they are sturdily built to withstand the rigors of travel. Asus subjects its gaming laptops to varying degrees of temperature, humidity, etc., to guarantee that they will be fully operational even when things get rough.
- Heat Dissipation: Since gaming produces considerable heat, the lack of a cooling system can slow down your computer. For sustained performance, look for a laptop with excellent thermals. Asus has several options that utilize anti-dust technology and provide adjustable fan modes for consistent cooling.
- External Ports: Every gamer knows the importance of USB- and display ports. You will need them to access game-related files you have stored elsewhere. You will also need them to connect to external displays, say when you are gaming with buddies and want a larger-than-life experience. Ensure that your laptop offers an array of USB connections and supports external displays.
Bonus features: This one is for ardent gamers who enjoy the experience in its entirety and are willing to pay a premium for anything that enhances it.
Among the special features that Asus gaming laptops offer are backlit keyboards with per-key lighting and n-key rollover, detachable webcams, and customized usage profiles.
If color accuracy makes you glow, you can also get a Pantone validated display. The color enhancement that this brings forward has to be experienced to be believed.
Which Asus Gaming Line-Up Should You Consider?
Asus has built for gamers a Republic of Gamers (ROG) line-up, within which are various laptops catering to different needs like portability, performance, and graphics.
While selecting the right Asus gaming laptop for your requirements, it helps to have a clear sense of purpose. Broadly, you have two overarching options: ROG and ROG Strix. The latter is typically more affordable and less powerful. (This is not to say it doesn’t deliver on performance.
Most of these laptops can do more than a passable job of fueling your standard AAA game.) The more premium machines maintain the ROG branding.
Recently, Asus unveiled an upgrade to the Strix series: the Strix Scar 3. Designed by BMW’s Designworks studio, the all-new range features an elegant display with improved heat vents, a brushed aluminum lid, and the quintessentially glowing ROG logo.
A wraparound RGB light bar lends the system a surreal glow, while the all-new ROG Keystone lets you store game profiles, settings, etc.
The Keystone also comes with a cool “Shadow Drive” that enables you to encrypt and store data that you don’t want leaked. The launch is a clear nod to charming design while maintaining the raw power and performance that ASUS has come to be known for.
So, how should you select the perfect gaming machine within the ROG and the ROG Strix series? ASUS divides its laptops into three buckets: G, GL or GX. Following these letters is a 5 or a 7, denoting whether the system is a 15.6” or a 17.3” model.
Choosing between these two screen sizes is a matter of personal preference. While a 15.6” model tends to be easier to carry, many gamers prefer a 17.3” laptop for the larger screen size and the comfort it brings.
Since gaming is a visually thrilling but also exhausting experience, the extra real estate can keep your eyes from feeling strained.
Here is a key to understanding this breakup:
Asus Rog G Series
Powerful laptops on the heavier side and boasting of high-end graphics—that is the G series for you. You can expect terrific performance and efficient heat dissipation. For instance, the ASUS ROG G15 laptop is equipped with an Intel i7 CPU, an RTX 2080 graphics card, and anti-dust technology for effective cooling. However, it weighs over 10lbs. The bottom line is that while these laptops don’t rule the roost when it comes to being carried around, they wield phenomenal power.
Asus Rog Strix GL Series
This comprises smaller, more mobile laptops with thin profiles. Usually, these machines have low to mid-range GTX graphics cards. For instance, the ASUS ROG Strix G GL731GT laptop has a refresh rate of 120Hz. However, it is highly portable with a weight of only 5.28lbs. You can take it with you to events or lug it around on public transport, without feeling bogged down by the load.
Asus Rog Zephyrus S Series
ASUS has clubbed its most innovative laptops into the S bucket. Most of these computers have special features and use the latest technologies in graphics, cooling, etc. For instance, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 laptop offers a GPU switch mode to let you optimize performance or battery life, depending upon the need of the situation. The ASUS ROG Zephyrus S15 comes with a spellbinding refresh rate of 300Hz and the G-SYNC technology for fluid graphics.
As a rule of thumb, go for an ROG G or S machine if gaming runs in your veins, and you need to go the extra mile for competitive events.
The performance you get will be well worth the additional price (and weight). However, if you are on a budget or require a gaming laptop that does satisfactorily, if not exceptionally, an ROG Strix laptop can be a great choice.
Computers in the GL line-up merge form, function and affordability pretty well, making them excellent mid-spectrum picks.
The Long and Short of It
Asus has taken some giant strides in the gaming marketplace and now has several product lines offering the moon to passionate gamers. You can choose across various form factors, although a minimum of 15 Inch is recommended to enjoy fluid gameplay.
Many of its models also bring portability to the table without compromising on performance. This is a huge plus for anyone looking to find a gaming companion that also travels well.
While choosing an Asus gaming laptop, ensure to have a clear checklist of your priorities. For instance, if a high refresh rate for the monitor is your top consideration, you should look at the Asus ROG Strix Scar 15.
Likewise, the Asus ROG Zephyrus S15 is a good choice if you want a lightweight laptop with powerful specs.
Asus has something for all tastes: a high RAM configuration, color accuracy, an immersive experience. Choosing your companion carefully will let you make the most of your gaming sessions.