Since gaming laptops don’t come in cheap, it is wise to think for the long-term before taking a dive.
Think gaming laptop, and the Republic of Gamers (ROG) series by Asus instantly comes to mind. In the past few years, the Taiwanese electronics company has established itself as one of the leading manufacturers of gaming laptops.
Since 2006, the Republic of Gamers has been delivering a winning range of gaming essentials, including not only laptops but also hardware, accessories and peripherals.
ASUS has a finger right on the pulse of this audience, which is why it has been successful in coming up with offerings that instantly click.
As a laptop manufacturer, Asus has truly found its calling in the gaming laptop segment.
From desktop-replacement machines to portable laptops for everyday gameplay, ASUS has evolved into a brand that genuinely understands the pulse of its audience.
Today, one can find a vast variety of options in Asus’s umbrella, spanning budgets and features. At one end of the spectrum, you can find a gaming computer that travels well and comes in at just over $1000. And at the other end, you have devices that are full-function and ultra-powerful beings parading about in the guise of laptops.
As you examine the Asus lineup of gaming laptops, you can find something for every type of gamer. There is a mighty stalwart with a capable CPU, excellent graphics, and efficient cooling.
There is also an all-rounder that supports a satisfactory gaming standard while also being portable. Whether your priorities are design or speed, visuals or external connections, you are likely to find a mate.
Earlier in 2021, Asus announced several new additions to the ROG series, with new laptops in the Zephyrus, Strix and G-Series range.
The announcement has further expanded your choices by creating picks tailored to specific needs like color calibration, sustainability, and longer battery life.
In this feature, we have put together for you a list of the best Asus gaming laptops that money can buy. They span across categories, from the best in performance to the best in mobility, based on what floats your boat. Here is to many, many hours of glories on the arena!
- Our Picks: 10 Best Asus Gaming Laptop in 2021
- 1. ASUS TUF Dash 15 Gaming Laptop
- 2. ASUS Gaming Laptop – ROG Strix G15
- 3. ASUS ROG Strix Scar 15 (2021) Gaming Laptop
- 4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo SE 15 Gaming Laptop
- 5. ASUS TUF Gaming F17 Gaming Laptop
- 6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 Gaming Laptop
- 7. ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 Gaming Laptop
- 8. ASUS Gaming Laptop – ROG Zephyrus S17
- 9. ASUS ROG Strix G17 (2021) Gaming Laptop
- 10. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401QM 14-inch
- What Should You Look for in an Asus Gaming Laptop?
- Which Asus Gaming Line-Up Should You Consider?
- Pros and Cons of Asus Gaming Laptop
- Asus Gaming Laptops: Special Features
- The Long and Short of It
Our Picks: 10 Best Asus Gaming Laptop in 2021
The list below covers best Asus gaming laptop across budgets and considerations. There is something for every need—from premium purchases that leave you awestruck to all-rounder machines that are also surprisingly portable.
Best ASUS Gaming Laptop – Recommended Specs
|Processor||11th Generation Intel Core i7-11800H|
Latest AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
|Graphics||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 GPU|
|Memory||16GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory|
|Storage||1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD|
|Display||15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080)|
|Weight||Under 6 lbs.|
|Battery||Up to 8 Hours|
|Keyboard||4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard|
|OS||Windows 10 Home 64-bit|
We have put together this list to help you find the perfect gaming partner from the Asus house, so we hope you find one that is just right!
1. ASUS TUF Dash 15 Gaming Laptop
If portability is close to your heart, you will definitely enjoy the 15.6” ASUS TUF Dash 15 laptop.
It is only 0.8” thin and weighs 4.4lbs. You can travel with it to gaming events without developing a backache!
This mighty computer is fueled by an Intel Core i7-11370H processor, 8GB RAM, a 512 SSD, and GeForce RTX Ampere graphics.
A refresh rate of 144Hz and the incorporation of adaptive-sync technology ensure that your gameplay is smooth and jitter-free. Bonus: The display is FHD, which makes the colors and details truly come alive.
2. ASUS Gaming Laptop – ROG Strix G15
The Strix series by ASUS makes a competent choice as far as gaming laptops go. Another 15.6” option in this line-up is the ASUS ROG Strix G15.
This one is also driven by an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H CPU and 16GB RAM, but it packs in a 512GB SSD.
The dedicated GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti card which renders most AAA games satisfactorily. (You will, of course, miss out on the splendor of an RTX card.)
Display-wise, this laptop offers a refresh rate of 300Hz and a narrow-bezel design. The screen-to-body ratio is about 84%, which is lower than some of its peers on this list.
Like other models in this series, this computer is also quite portable at 5.07lbs and 1.07”—not bad at all for this form factor. It is built sturdily to handle adverse conditions during travel.
3. ASUS ROG Strix Scar 15 (2021) Gaming Laptop
It is no surprise that when talking about ASUS gaming laptops, Republic of Gamers is a series that you just can’t overlook.
As for the ASUS ROG Strix Scar 15 (2021), this upgraded version of the predecessor is everything you need for a flawless and uninterrupted gaming experience.
It features a stunning design with flexible hinges and backlit keyboard along with a LED-lit front panel.
As for the performance of the device, it is powered by the latest AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Processor with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 with 8GB VRAM for superior multitasking arrangement and flawless gameplay.
Pair that with the ROG Thermal Cooling system and you’ll likely never have to worry about overheating and interrupted performance.
It is equipped with a 15.6” FHD IPS-type display with 1440p screen resolution with 300Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response. You also get the latest wireless connectivity options with the Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 in this device.
4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo SE 15 Gaming Laptop
Asus ROG is one of the most popular gaming laptop series that you can get your hands on.
But, in case you have been on the lookout for a dual screen Asus gaming laptop, the Asus Rog Zephyrus Duo 15 is hands down the best option.
This is a device that lets you expand your creative horizons and explore new dimensions.
The combination of the AMD Ryzen 9 5980HX and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU allows you to create and stay productive seamlessly.
The ultra-slim device is equipped with 15.6” non-glare FHD IPS panel display with a screen resolution of 2160p and a refresh rate of 300Hz.
The device is also equipped with a 14.1” touchscreen secondary display that further makes multitasking easy.
It also supports up to 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD for storage and up to 16GB RAM for memory options. It also runs on Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro operating system.
5. ASUS TUF Gaming F17 Gaming Laptop
If you are looking at a 17.3” screen size, then the Asus TUF F17 is a good choice.
This Asus gaming laptop runs on an Intel Core i7 CPU (Intel Core i7-11800H) and offers 16GB RAM.
The storage space is 512GB (SSD), while the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti.
Add to that mix an FHD monitor with an IPS panel and DTS Headphone: X technology, and you have a brilliant gamer that delivers exemplary audio and video. Notably, this machine provides high-fidelity virtual surround-sound (7.1-channel)—great news for anyone who wants to feel their sound!
This ASUS laptop is sturdily built and adheres to the MIL-STD-810H military standard of construction. Effectively, you can travel with it without the fear of damage during transit.
This makes it useful for outdoor events and gaming competitions. Since the heat management system comprises anti-dust technology, you are assured of optimum long-term performance.
6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 Gaming Laptop
The ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 is a gaming laptop for the advanced, especially if the premium design of the device is anything to go by.
It has an all-black box like rectangular design with curved edges and a rugged build for long-lasting durability like nothing else in the market.
The device runs on the AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS processor with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU for enhanced gaming experience and flawless visuals like you’ve never experienced before.
The HIDevolution in the device further elevates the overall visual experience by integrating the device with the 15.6” QHD display with 165Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response.
It is backed with PCIe-based storage of 1TB SSD for faster bootup and efficient assortment of all your necessary data in the device. The 16GB RAM enables smoother running of the hungry and heavy-duty applications with ease. It runs on the Windows 10 Pro OS.
7. ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 Gaming Laptop
Another ROG gaming device that you can’t miss out on from Asus is the ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17.
Even this one comes with a sleek device, a lot similar to the previous variant that we have mentioned around.
Not just the durability of the device, you also wouldn’t have to compromise on the performance too.
This 17.3” FHD device is equipped with the latest 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11980HK processor along with the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Super with 16GB VRAM.
The device is equipped with 360Hz refresh rate and 3ms overdrive response. The IPS-type display allows you to experience smoother gaming experience.
It is also equipped with 2TB PCIe NVMe SSD for storage along with 64GB RAM. Aside from that, the device also ensures higher performance with the ROG Intelligent Cooling thermal system that keeps the device silent.
8. ASUS Gaming Laptop – ROG Zephyrus S17
Another 17-inch stalwart from the ASUS stables is the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 laptop.
This one is powered by an Intel Core i7-11800H processor, 16GB RAM, a 1TB SSD and GeForce RTX 3060 graphics. The monitor boasts of a refresh rate of 165Hz and an IPS panel.
ASUS has built this computer with a keen focus on portability. It weighs only 5.73lbs and has a thickness of 0.78” 18.7mm—quite a feat for a 17-inch laptop.
It also comes with a detachable webcam (1080p, 60Hz) that keeps you connected with peers and gaming buddies.
For additional longevity of use, ASUS offers a GPU switch mode. You can alternate between integrated and discrete graphics depending upon whether your priority is greater battery life or higher performance standards.
9. ASUS ROG Strix G17 (2021) Gaming Laptop
The very first in the list of discussion is the Asus Rog Strix G17.
This device looks like a dream, especially because of the sleek and stylish design.
It does have a backlit keyboard with narrow bezels on the side that allow you to have a very smooth user experience unlike anything else. The pink and purple backlit keyboard gives it a very modern feel.
If you are wondering how well this 17.3” device performs, you don’t have to worry at all. It is powered by the latest AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Processor and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU that enhances the user experience to next level.
The 144Hz 3ms refresh rate and overdrive response allows smoother frame rate for crisp and clear visuals.
Lastly, the gaming device is backed with 512GB SSD for storage along with 16GB DDR4 RAM for smoother and effortless gaming experience. It runs on Windows 10 operating system.
10. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401QM 14-inch
Not every gamer prefers using the Intel Core integrated devices.
If you are one of them and would rather prefer the Ryzen processors for your gaming laptop, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 is hands down one of the best available options in the market.
The device comes with a very dynamic and lightweight design that you can carry around without any hassle. The device is also termed as the world’s most powerful 14-inch Windows 10 Pro Gaming laptop.
The combination of the 8-core AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU further braves through heavy-duty games and seamless multitasking without any hassle at all. It also allows interchangeable 144Hz gaming display or a high resolution FHD panel for enhanced color accuracy.
As for the storage and memory, it supports up to 8TB SSD and up to 40GB RAM for effortlessly gameplay.
- 10 Best MSI Gaming Laptops 2021
- The 10 Best Acer Gaming Laptops 2021
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $1000
- Top 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $2000
What Should You Look for in an Asus Gaming Laptop?
Not surprisingly, the exact specifications and features you will get in a gaming laptop will depend on your needs and budget. Asus has offerings throughout the spectrum, from picks for the price-sensitive to extravagances for those who won’t spare any expense. When you are out laptop shopping, there are a few essentials that you should look out for:
- Processor and Memory: Gaming is a CPU-draining pursuit. Any gaming computer worth its salt should be equipped with a powerful processor that can handle multitasking. Look for an Intel Core i7 or above (or an equivalent AMD). You will also require RAM support of at least 16GB and storage space to keep all your gaming paraphernalia. An SSD makes sense here, for its high-speed performance. Many Asus gaming laptops offer SSDs of 512GB or above. You can also opt for combo storage such as an SSD paired with good old HDD or FireCuda.
- Graphics: What would a good game be without great imagery? For a laptop to render your content satisfactorily during the game, it should have a dedicated GPU. Integrated graphics rarely deliver the same degree of performance. Many NVIDIA GTX cards can do the job well, although an RTX card has a charm of its own. Asus now offers laptops that utilize the glory of an RTX card, complete with real-time ray tracing and artificial intelligence.
- Refresh Rate and Response Time: This becomes especially important when you play games that involve multiple effects and transitions. The standard for refresh rate is 144Hz. You can also, depending on your budget, opt for Asus laptops with refresh rates of 240Hz. A response time of 3ms is a good ballpark to go with. That said, you should also check the overall design of the monitor. Ideally, a narrow-bezel design helps to improve the screen-to-body ratio and makes for a more immersive experience.
- Portability: This is highly subjective and will be a consideration only if you intend to travel with your gaming laptop. Asus provides powerful computers that weigh in the range of 5–6lbs and have thin profiles (under one inch). If mobility is important to you, pick such lightweight laptops and ensure they are sturdily built to withstand the rigors of travel. Asus subjects its gaming laptops to varying degrees of temperature, humidity, etc., to guarantee that they will be fully operational even when things get rough.
- Heat Dissipation: Since gaming produces considerable heat, the lack of a cooling system can slow down your computer. For sustained performance, look for a laptop with excellent thermals. Asus has several options that utilize anti-dust technology and provide adjustable fan modes for consistent cooling.
- External Ports: Every gamer knows the importance of USB- and display ports. You will need them to access game-related files you have stored elsewhere. You will also need them to connect to external displays, say when you are gaming with buddies and want a larger-than-life experience. Ensure that your laptop offers an array of USB connections and supports external displays.
Bonus features: This one is for ardent gamers who enjoy the experience in its entirety and are willing to pay a premium for anything that enhances it.
Among the special features that Asus gaming laptops offer are backlit keyboards with per-key lighting and n-key rollover, detachable webcams, and customized usage profiles.
If color accuracy makes you glow, you can also get a Pantone validated display. The color enhancement that this brings forward has to be experienced to be believed.
Which Asus Gaming Line-Up Should You Consider?
Asus has built for gamers a Republic of Gamers (ROG) line-up, within which are various laptops catering to different needs like portability, performance, and graphics.
While selecting the right Asus gaming laptop for your requirements, it helps to have a clear sense of purpose. Broadly, you have two overarching options: ROG and ROG Strix. The latter is typically more affordable and less powerful. (This is not to say it doesn’t deliver on performance.
Most of these laptops can do more than a passable job of fueling your standard AAA game.) The more premium machines maintain the ROG branding.
So, how should you select the perfect gaming machine within the ROG and the ROG Strix series? ASUS divides its laptops into three buckets: G, GL or GX. Following these letters is a 5 or a 7, denoting whether the system is a 15.6” or a 17.3” model.
Choosing between these two screen sizes is a matter of personal preference. While a 15.6” model tends to be easier to carry, many gamers prefer a 17.3” laptop for the larger screen size and the comfort it brings.
Since gaming is a visually thrilling but also exhausting experience, the extra real estate can keep your eyes from feeling strained.
Here is a key to understanding this breakup:
Asus Rog G Series
Powerful laptops on the heavier side and boasting of high-end graphics—that is the G series for you.
You can expect terrific performance and efficient heat dissipation. For instance, the ASUS ROG Strix G15 laptop is equipped with an Intel i7 CPU, an RTX 2070 graphics card, and anti-dust technology for effective cooling.
However, it weighs over 10lbs. The bottom line is that while these laptops don’t rule the roost when it comes to being carried around, they wield phenomenal power.
Asus Rog Strix G Series
This comprises smaller, more mobile laptops with thin profiles. Usually, these machines have low to mid-range GTX graphics cards.
For instance, the ASUS ROG Strix G17 laptop has a refresh rate of 144Hz. However, it is highly portable with a weight of only 6.28lbs.
You can take it with you to events or lug it around on public transport, without feeling bogged down by the load.
Asus Rog Zephyrus S Series
ASUS has clubbed its most innovative laptops into the S bucket. Most of these computers have special features and use the latest technologies in graphics, cooling, etc.
For instance, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 laptop offers a GPU switch mode to let you optimize performance or battery life, depending upon the need of the situation.
The ASUS ROG Zephyrus S15 comes with a spellbinding refresh rate of 300Hz and the G-SYNC technology for fluid graphics.
As a rule of thumb, go for an ROG G or S machine if gaming runs in your veins, and you need to go the extra mile for competitive events.
The performance you get will be well worth the additional price (and weight). However, if you are on a budget or require a gaming laptop that does satisfactorily, if not exceptionally, an ROG Strix laptop can be a great choice.
Computers in the GL line-up merge form, function and affordability pretty well, making them excellent mid-spectrum picks.
Pros and Cons of Asus Gaming Laptop
Many people have this misconception that ASUS is only good with their normal day-to-day business laptops and the ones for students. But, their gaming laptops are equally competitive, especially if you are looking for a device that is affordable and at the same time, highly innovative and functional too.
To help you make an informed decision before purchasing one, we are going to sort you out with some of the pros and cons.
- The Asus ROG gaming laptops are equipped with some of the best processors for smoother functions and performance. Majority of them are either equipped with the latest Intel processors or the AMD Ryzen processors, depending on the device one is opting for.
- The display in the Asus ROG gaming laptops are ground-breaking. Not only do they come with a better screen to body ratio, they also have a highly functional display with better graphics and true to life colors for better gameplay.
- The thermal solutions of the Asus Gaming laptops are pretty good, especially because of the latest technology that keeps the device quiet and keeps it cool throughout.
- The gaming laptops from Asus are very easy to upgrade, allowing you to choose from the variety of options, especially in terms of the RAM upgrades.
- The devices are highly affordable, ensuring that you don’t have to spend all your life savings in buying a gaming laptop from Asus.
- The trackpad in majority of the gaming laptops from Asus needs improvement because of the lack of smoother navigation.
- The sound output is not the best and needs working on.
- The gaming devices from Asus are pretty bulky and not the easiest options to move around.
Asus Gaming Laptops: Special Features
Coming to the million-dollar question: should you choose to buy an Asus laptop over the many competitors that now exist in the market? Well, it certainly is true that Asus faces stiff competition from brands such as MSI, Acer, Lenovo and Dell.
However, it does boast of some unique selling propositions that make it stand apart from the crowd. Here are some guidelines to help you arrive at a purchase decision:
- Keeping in tune with the times: Asus gaming machines are modern and endowed with the latest technologies in the gaming domain. If you like being up to speed and engaging in gameplay with the best tools in the arsenal, Asus understands you and how. For example, many Asus gaming laptops now offer NVIDIA RTX graphics cards and G-SYNC technology. Some of them are packed with unique features such as detachable webcams, adjustable fan modes for customized cooling, and anti-dust technology for thermal management.
- Long warranty period: Asus offers a reassuring warranty period of two years for several laptops. Many peers provide only a one-year warranty.
- Manageable price point: Pricing is one of Asus’s strong points. Competent gaming laptops with top-notch specifications are available in the $1000–$1500 price bucket. This is a surprisingly low price to pay for notebooks so capable! Also, while these might come across as “budget” buys, they do not cut too many corners when it comes to performance or display.
- Resilient motherboards: Asus gaming laptops boast of strong motherboards, which goes a long way in increasing their longevity of use. This comes from the company’s long-standing experience in manufacturing motherboards before foraying into the gaming space.
- Dependable brand name: Since Asus has established itself as a reliable brand in the gaming market, you can be guaranteed of quality. In 2016, for instance, the Asus ROG series won four awards at Computex 2016. In 2017, the ROG GX800 bagged the prestigious CES Innovation Award for being the world’s first liquid-cooled laptop. Depending on your usage and handling, these machines are likely to serve you well for a long time.
Remember though, Asus is a very active brand when it comes to announcing upgrades to its products. Every few months (or less), Asus launches upgraded versions of gaming laptops that offer more powerful configurations, better prices, and trendy features.
One downside of this is that your computer might feel “outdated” pretty soon, especially if you are one of those who like to be cued in on trends.
The Long and Short of It
Asus has taken some giant strides in the gaming marketplace and now has several product lines offering the moon to passionate gamers. You can choose across various form factors, although a minimum of 15 Inch is recommended to enjoy fluid gameplay.
Asus has also endeavored to incorporate the latest technologies in its products, such as state-of-the-art construction for durability and the RTX GPU with its path-breaking visual grandeur.
Many of its models also bring portability to the table without compromising on performance. This is a huge plus for anyone looking to find a gaming companion that also travels well.
While choosing an Asus gaming laptop, ensure to have a clear checklist of your priorities. For instance, if a high refresh rate for the monitor is your top consideration, you should look at the Asus ROG Strix Scar 15.
Likewise, the Asus ROG Zephyrus S15 is a good choice if you want a lightweight laptop with powerful specs.
Asus has something for all tastes: a high RAM configuration, color accuracy, an immersive experience. Choosing your companion carefully will let you make the most of your gaming sessions.