10 Best Asus Gaming Laptops 2020
Powerhouse Asus laptops to fuel your game
Think gaming laptop, and the Republic of Gamers (ROG) series by Asus instantly comes to mind. In the past few years, the Taiwanese electronics company has established itself as one of the leading manufacturers of gaming machines. Since 2006, the Republic of Gamers has been delivering a winning range of gaming essentials, including not only laptops but also hardware, accessories and peripherals. Asus has a finger right on the pulse of this audience, which is why it has been successful in coming up with offerings that instantly click.
As you examine the Asus lineup of gaming laptops, you can find something for every type of gamer. There is a mighty stalwart with a capable CPU, excellent graphics, and efficient cooling.
There is also an all-rounder that supports a satisfactory gaming standard while also being portable. Whether your priorities are design or speed, visuals or external connections, you are likely to find a mate.
Earlier in 2020, Asus announced several new additions to the ROG series, with new laptops in the Zephyrus, Strix and G-Series range.
The announcement has further expanded your choices by creating picks tailored to specific needs like color calibration, sustainability, and longer battery life.
In this feature, we have put together for you a list of the best Asus gaming laptops that money can buy. They span across categories, from the best in performance to the best in mobility, based on what floats your boat. Here is to many, many hours of glories on the arena!
- What Should You Look for in an Asus Gaming Laptop?
- Asus Gaming Laptops: Special Features
- Which Asus Gaming Line-Up Should You Consider?
- Our Picks: 10 Best Asus Gaming Laptops 2020
- 1. Asus ROG Zephyrus M GU502GW-AH76
- 2. Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XB78
- 3. Asus ROG G703GX-XB76 Gaming Laptop
- 4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX531GX-XB77
- 5. ASUS ROG Strix Scar III G531GW-DB76
- 6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW-XB76
- 7. Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX531GW-AB76
- 8. ASUS ROG Strix Hero III G731GW-DB76
- 9. Asus ROG Strix G GL731GT-EB76
- 10. ASUS ROG Strix G GL531GV-PB74
- The Long and Short of It
What Should You Look for in an Asus Gaming Laptop?
Not surprisingly, the exact specifications and features you will get in a gaming laptop will depend on your needs and budget. Asus has offerings throughout the spectrum, from picks for the price-sensitive to extravagances for those who won’t spare any expense. When you are out laptop shopping, there are a few essentials that you should look out for:
- Processor and Memory: Gaming is a CPU-draining pursuit. Any gaming computer worth its salt should be equipped with a powerful processor that can handle multitasking. Look for an Intel Core i7 or above (or an equivalent AMD). You will also require RAM support of at least 16GB and storage space to keep all your gaming paraphernalia. An SSD makes sense here, for its high-speed performance. Many Asus gaming laptops offer SSDs of 512GB or above. You can also opt for combo storage such as an SSD paired with good old HDD or FireCuda.
- Graphics: What would a good game be without great imagery? For a laptop to render your content satisfactorily during the game, it should have a dedicated GPU. Integrated graphics rarely deliver the same degree of performance. Many NVIDIA GTX cards can do the job well, although an RTX card has a charm of its own. Asus now offers laptops that utilize the glory of an RTX card, complete with real-time ray tracing and artificial intelligence.
- Refresh Rate and Response Time: This becomes especially important when you play games that involve multiple effects and transitions. The standard for refresh rate is 144Hz. You can also, depending on your budget, opt for Asus laptops with refresh rates of 240Hz. A response time of 3ms is a good ballpark to go with. That said, you should also check the overall design of the monitor. Ideally, a narrow-bezel design helps to improve the screen-to-body ratio and makes for a more immersive experience.
- Portability: This is highly subjective and will be a consideration only if you intend to travel with your gaming laptop. Asus provides powerful computers that weigh in the range of 5–6lbs and have thin profiles (under one inch). If mobility is important to you, pick such lightweight laptops and ensure they are sturdily built to withstand the rigors of travel. Asus subjects its gaming laptops to varying degrees of temperature, humidity, etc., to guarantee that they will be fully operational even when things get rough.
- Heat Dissipation: Since gaming produces considerable heat, the lack of a cooling system can slow down your computer. For sustained performance, look for a laptop with excellent thermals. Asus has several options that utilize anti-dust technology and provide adjustable fan modes for consistent cooling.
- External Ports: Every gamer knows the importance of USB- and display ports. You will need them to access game-related files you have stored elsewhere. You will also need them to connect to external displays, say when you are gaming with buddies and want a larger-than-life experience. Ensure that your laptop offers an array of USB connections and supports external displays.
Bonus features: This one is for ardent gamers who enjoy the experience in its entirety and are willing to pay a premium for anything that enhances it.
Among the special features that Asus gaming laptops offer are backlit keyboards with per-key lighting and n-key rollover, detachable webcams, and customized usage profiles.
If color accuracy makes you glow, you can also get a Pantone validated display. The color enhancement that this brings forward has to be experienced to be believed.
Asus Gaming Laptops: Special Features
Coming to the million-dollar question: should you choose to buy an Asus laptop over the many competitors that now exist in the market? Well, it certainly is true that Asus faces stiff competition from brands such as MSI, Acer, Lenovo and Dell. However, it does boast of some unique selling propositions that make it stand apart from the crowd. Here are some guidelines to help you arrive at a purchase decision:
- Keeping in tune with the times: Asus gaming machines are modern and endowed with the latest technologies in the gaming domain. If you like being up to speed and engaging in gameplay with the best tools in the arsenal, Asus understands you and how. For example, many Asus gaming laptops now offer NVIDIA RTX graphics cards and G-SYNC technology. Some of them are packed with unique features such as detachable webcams, adjustable fan modes for customized cooling, and anti-dust technology for thermal management.
- Long warranty period: Asus offers a reassuring warranty period of two years for several laptops. Many peers provide only a one-year warranty.
- Manageable price point: Pricing is one of Asus’s strong points. Competent gaming laptops with top-notch specifications are available in the $1000–$1500 price bucket. This is a surprisingly low price to pay for notebooks so capable! Also, while these might come across as “budget” buys, they do not cut too many corners when it comes to performance or display.
- Resilient motherboards: Asus gaming laptops boast of strong motherboards, which goes a long way in increasing their longevity of use. This comes from the company’s long-standing experience in manufacturing motherboards before foraying into the gaming space.
- Dependable brand name: Since Asus has established itself as a reliable brand in the gaming market, you can be guaranteed of quality. In 2016, for instance, the Asus ROG series won four awards at Computex 2016. In 2017, the ROG GX800 bagged the prestigious CES Innovation Award for being the world’s first liquid-cooled laptop. Depending on your usage and handling, these machines are likely to serve you well for a long time.
Remember though, Asus is a very active brand when it comes to announcing upgrades to its products. Every few months (or less), Asus launches upgraded versions of gaming laptops that offer more powerful configurations, better prices, and trendy features. One downside of this is that your computer might feel “outdated” pretty soon, especially if you are one of those who like to be cued in on trends.
Which Asus Gaming Line-Up Should You Consider?
Asus has built for gamers a Republic of Gamers (ROG) line-up, within which are various laptops catering to different needs like portability, performance, and graphics.
While selecting the right Asus gaming laptop for your requirements, it helps to have a clear sense of purpose. Broadly, you have two overarching options: ROG and ROG Strix. The latter is typically more affordable and less powerful. (This is not to say it doesn’t deliver on performance.
Most of these laptops can do more than a passable job of fueling your standard AAA game.) The more premium machines maintain the ROG branding.
Recently, Asus unveiled an upgrade to the Strix series: the Strix Scar 3. Designed by BMW’s Designworks studio, the all-new range features an elegant display with improved heat vents, a brushed aluminum lid, and the quintessentially glowing ROG logo.
A wraparound RGB light bar lends the system a surreal glow, while the all-new ROG Keystone lets you store game profiles, settings, etc.
The Keystone also comes with a cool “Shadow Drive” that enables you to encrypt and store data that you don’t want leaked. The launch is a clear nod to charming design while maintaining the raw power and performance that ASUS has come to be known for.
So, how should you select the perfect gaming machine within the ROG and the ROG Strix series? ASUS divides its laptops into three buckets: G, GL or GX. Following these letters is a 5 or a 7, denoting whether the system is a 15.6” or a 17.3” model.
Choosing between these two screen sizes is a matter of personal preference. While a 15.6” model tends to be easier to carry, many gamers prefer a 17.3” laptop for the larger screen size and the comfort it brings.
Since gaming is a visually thrilling but also exhausting experience, the extra real estate can keep your eyes from feeling strained.
Here is a key to understanding this breakup:
Asus Rog G Series
Powerful laptops on the heavier side and boasting of high-end graphics—that is the G series for you. You can expect terrific performance and efficient heat dissipation. For instance, the ASUS ROG G703GX-XB76 laptop is equipped with an Intel i7 CPU, an RTX 2080 graphics card, and anti-dust technology for effective cooling. However, it weighs over 10lbs. The bottom line is that while these laptops don’t rule the roost when it comes to being carried around, they wield phenomenal power.
Asus Rog Strix GL Series
This comprises smaller, more mobile laptops with thin profiles. Usually, these machines have low to mid-range GTX graphics cards. For instance, the ASUS ROG Strix G GL531GV-PB74 laptop has a refresh rate of 120Hz. However, it is highly portable with a weight of only 5.28lbs. You can take it with you to events or lug it around on public transport, without feeling bogged down by the load.
Asus Rog Zephyrus GX Series
ASUS has clubbed its most innovative laptops into the GX bucket. Most of these computers have special features and use the latest technologies in graphics, cooling, etc. For instance, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XB78 laptop offers a GPU switch mode to let you optimize performance or battery life, depending upon the need of the situation. The ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW-XB76 comes with a spellbinding refresh rate of 240Hz and the G-SYNC technology for fluid graphics.
As a rule of thumb, go for an ROG G or GX machine if gaming runs in your veins, and you need to go the extra mile for competitive events.
The performance you get will be well worth the additional price (and weight). However, if you are on a budget or require a gaming laptop that does satisfactorily, if not exceptionally, an ROG Strix laptop can be a great choice.
Computers in the GL line-up merge form, function and affordability pretty well, making them excellent mid-spectrum picks.
Our Picks: 10 Best Asus Gaming Laptops 2020
The list below covers Asus gaming laptops across budgets and considerations. There is something for every need—from premium purchases that leave you awestruck to all-rounder machines that are also surprisingly portable. We have put together this list to help you find the perfect gaming partner from the ASUS house, so we hope you find one that is just right!
1. Asus ROG Zephyrus M GU502GW-AH76
A speedy hexa-core Intel Core i7-9750H drives it, supported by 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
It is also one of the most portable laptops on the list, measuring 18.9mm (0.74”) and weighing only 4.4lbs.
The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card raises gameplay to phenomenal levels, with features such as real-time ray tracing and improved performance. The monitor also has an IPS panel, a refresh rate of 240Hz, and Pantone validation for color accuracy.
2. Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XB78
This one is powered by an Intel Core i7-9750H processor, 32GB RAM, a 1TB SSD and GeForce RTX 2080 graphics. The monitor boasts of a refresh rate of144Hz and an IPS panel.
ASUS has built this computer with a keen focus on portability. It weighs only 5.73lbs and has a thickness of 0.74” (18.7mm)—quite a feat for a 17-inch machine. It also comes with a detachable webcam (1080p, 60Hz) that keeps you connected with peers and gaming buddies.
For additional longevity of use, ASUS offers a GPU switch mode. You can alternate between integrated and discrete graphics depending upon whether your priority is greater battery life or higher performance standards.
3. Asus ROG G703GX-XB76 Gaming Laptop
It is driven by an Intel Core i7-9750H processor, 32GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD. A discrete GPU—the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080—and support for G-Sync delivers fluid gameplay with minimal jitters and lags. Also, the monitor supports a refresh rate of 144Hz and a response time of 3ms.
In light of the grand specifications of this 10.35lbs laptop, it also houses a heat dissipation system to match. Customized usage profiles, thinner fan blades, and anti-dust tunnels keep things sustainable for long hours.
4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX531GX-XB77
Inside the processing chamber is an Intel Core i7-9750H processor, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB SSD. A discrete NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 GPU drives your gameplay. The display, too, is fantastic, with a refresh rate of 144Hz, a 100% sRGB color gamut, and an IPS panel for distortion-free viewing.
Here is the cherry on the cake: this laptop is super slim and portable. It has a profile that measures only 0.62” and a chassis that weighs 4.6lbs. Besides, the construction uses a military-grade magnesium alloy that lends the laptop a high degree of resilience.
5. ASUS ROG Strix Scar III G531GW-DB76
This is fantastic for anyone who seeks fluid gameplay while playing titles that involve multiple transitions and effects. The performance you get while gaming is more than satisfactory, thanks to the Intel Core i7-9750H CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics. Since the monitor employs a thin bezel design (5.26mm or 0.20”), you get to enjoy a screen-to-body ratio of as much as 81.5%.
ASUS has balanced the terrific performance with an efficient cooling mechanism. This 5.67lbs system utilizes dual fans (12V), three radiators, and anti-dust technology to keep you going for a long time.
6. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW-XB76
It is only 18.9mm (0.74”) thin and weighs 4.4lbs. You can travel with it to gaming events without developing a backache!
This mighty computer is fuelled by an Intel i7-9750H processor, 16GB RAM, a 1TB SSD, and GeForce RTX 2070 graphics. A refresh rate of 240Hz and the incorporation of G-SYNC technology ensure that your gameplay is smooth and jitter-free. Bonus: The display is Pantone validated, which makes the colors and details truly come alive.
7. Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX531GW-AB76
This 4.6lbs computer is built of a highly portable military-grade magnesium alloy and is only 0.62” thin. It comes with a special 230W power adaptor. Fueling the processing chamber is an Intel Core i7-9750H CPU, 16GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD. This laptop is fitted with a GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card, which, fortunately, receives ample support from the 144Hz screen.
The AURA SYNC keyboard that is torture-tested for up to 20 million key presses and n-key rollover further propels your gaming experience into excellence.
8. ASUS ROG Strix Hero III G731GW-DB76
It comes with an FHD screen that boasts of a refresh rate of 144Hz and an IPS panel for comfortable viewing during gaming or other multimedia activities. Bonus: The bezel is so narrow (7.01mm or 0.27”) that you get a screen-to-body ratio of 81.5%.
Keeping this behemoth cool amid the heat is an effective heat dissipation mechanism that employs 12V fans with adjustable modes. The anti-dust technology also deserves laurels for significantly improving the longevity of use of this machine.
9. Asus ROG Strix G GL731GT-EB76
Another 17.3” option in this line-up is the ASUS ROG Strix G GL731GT-EB76. This one is also driven by an Intel Core i7-9750H CPU and 16GB RAM, but it packs in a 1TB SSD. The dedicated GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 card which renders most AAA games satisfactorily. (You will, of course, miss out on the splendor of an RTX card.)
Display-wise, this laptop offers a refresh rate of 144Hz and a narrow-bezel design. The screen-to-body ratio is about 79.6%, which is lower than some of its peers on this list.
Like other models in this series, this computer is also quite portable at 6.28lbs and 1”—not bad at all for this form factor. It is built sturdily to handle adverse conditions during travel.
10. ASUS ROG Strix G GL531GV-PB74
This mighty machine has several merits to boot: a competent Intel Core i7-9750H CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphics, and an efficient cooling mechanism with adjustable fan modes. It looks great too, with an FHD screen fitted with an IPS panel. The refresh rate, however, is a tad low at 120Hz, which might be a disappointment if you frequently play games with multiple transitions.
Note that this ASUS laptop weighs 5.28lbs and is about 1” in thickness. It has been tested to withstand the wear and tear of travel, so you can rest assured while carrying it along to outdoor events.
- 10 Best MSI Gaming Laptops 2020
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $1000
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500
- 10 Best Gaming Laptops Under $2000
- Best Gaming Laptops 2020 (Top 10 Picks)
The Long and Short of It
Asus has taken some giant strides in the gaming marketplace and now has several product lines offering the moon to passionate gamers. You can choose across various form factors, although a minimum of 15 Inch is recommended to enjoy fluid gameplay.
Many of its models also bring portability to the table without compromising on performance. This is a huge plus for anyone looking to find a gaming companion that also travels well.
While choosing an Asus gaming laptop, ensure to have a clear checklist of your priorities. For instance, if a high refresh rate for the monitor is your top consideration, you should look at the Asus ROG Strix Scar III G531GW-DB76 (#5).
Likewise, the Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW-XB76 (#6) is a good choice if you want a lightweight laptop with powerful specs.
Asus has something for all tastes: a high RAM configuration (#1, #2), color accuracy (#7), an immersive experience (#8). Choosing your companion carefully will let you make the most of your gaming sessions.