10 Best Acer Gaming Laptops 2020
For purely enjoyable gameplay
It’s a cutthroat world, with several players competing for attention—but only one can make it to your shopping cart. Purchasing a gaming laptop can be a tricky decision, but Acer has several things going for itself. It is committed to delivering enduring performance on a budget. Acer mindfully endows its offerings with beautiful displays and plentiful connectivity options, making them attractive purchases for different kinds of audiences. The ability to adapt to versatile uses, such as creative projects and business requirements, is one of the worthiest advantages of brand Acer.
While the Taiwanese company is a major retailer of laptops, Chromebooks, displays, etc., gaming machines have become one of its mainstays. Today, Acer is widely renowned as a top-notch gaming manufacturer and is the brand of choice, particularly among users who wish to watch their budget.
Here, we have assembled some of the best gaming devices from Acer’s warehouses. We also discuss the whys of making a purchase; if you are an ardent gamer, you know the importance of choosing your moves carefully.
- The Acer Gaming Family: An Overview
- Acer Gaming Laptops: What’s in it for you?
- Other Considerations Before Buying an Acer Gaming Laptop
- Our Picks: 10 Best Acer Gaming Laptop 2020
- 1. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52-78VL
- 2. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53-7777
- 3. Acer Predator Helios 700 PH717-71-7091
- 4. Acer Predator Triton 500 PT515-51-73Z5
- 5. Acer Predator Triton 900 Core i9 Gaming Laptop
- 6. Acer Nitro 7 Gaming Laptop
- 7. Acer Nitro 5 AMD Ryzen Gaming Laptop
- 8. Acer Aspire 7 Casual Gaming Laptop
- 9. Acer Nitro 5 17-inch Gaming Laptop (Intel)
- 10. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53-77X3
The Acer Gaming Family: An Overview
Acer has multiple lineups of gaming laptops, categorized according to their specifications, features and budgets. Even as you read this, new launches are making their way into the family, embracing new trends and promising a plethora of eye-catching features to users. Here is a quick overview of your choices:
This is Acer’s top range in the gaming world. Divided into Helios and Triton devices, the Predator line boasts of powerful NVIDIA GeForce RTX cards, excellent heat dissipation systems and fast read/write speeds thanks to SSDs. The graphics cards frequently come with G-SYNC to minimize delays and lags. If you wish to game at high settings and experience no compromises, this is the lineup for you.
A range well-suited to gamers and creative professionals alike, Nitro is a cost-effective choice. These laptops offer decent specifications, bright displays and sleek design. The build quality of these devices is also promising, complete with a brushed finish and a premium feel.
One of Acer’s most portable lineups, the Aspire series is ideal for those who need all-rounder laptops. You can enjoy gaming without spending too much money. At the same time, you can use these devices for day-to-day pursuits at work or school.
Acer Gaming Laptops: What’s in it for you?
While there is no denying that Acer has firmly entrenched itself in the gaming landscape, the competition remains stiff. If you are considering buying an Acer device, here are some of the stand-out features you can expect:
- Portability: Acer uses lightweight construction standards that don’t compromise with the durability of the chassis. Even some 17.3” gaming machines weigh less than 6lbs. This is a huge incentive for the contemporary user who spends a considerable amount of time on the road and wishes to carry his world along. The sleek construction makes it straightforward to stow away the laptop in a carrying case or backpack. The provision of hinges in some devices further ups the mobility; you can use these laptops as entertainment stations, stands, etc.
- Budget-friendly: Acer makes a big deal out of affordability, which is why many of its powerful gaming computers also fall in the $1000–$2000 range. If you are on a tight budget but want to enjoy the latest technologies in the multimedia world, Acer makes a persuasive case.
- Memory: The available memory in Acer laptops makes them an attractive deal for anyone who wishes to stock substantial gaming paraphernalia. You can find as much as 32GB of RAM in many machines and storage space to the tune of 512GB or more. A configuration like this lets you make the most of enthralling AAA games at moderate to high settings. Acer also provides open slots for straightforward upgradability. If your requirements change over time, you can choose to upgrade the memory as opposed to investing in a brand new laptop. The process is simple and requires minimal tinkering.
- Customization: Many Acer gaming devices let users adjust key settings such as overclocking, fan speeds and gaming profiles. For instance, the Predator series offers “Predator Sense”—a brilliant app to adapt your system’s hardware and software to deliver a highly personalized experience. It also permits you to keep tabs on the temperature of the CPU and the GPU. A neat Turbo button allows you to maximize the cooling to witness a much smoother gaming experience for a long time.
- Good-quality sound: Unlike some cost-effective laptops that cut corners in the sound department, Acer manages to deliver pleasant audio. Some gaming laptops utilize Waves MAXXAudio technology while others come with WAVES NX 3D SOUND. The speakers are finely tuned in accordance with the Acer True Harmony technology, thereby ensuring smooth and high-quality audio. Since many games rely on audio effects for the ultimate experience, this is one department that can make or break a deal.
- Narrow-bezel display: Gamers demand an immersive audio-visual experience, and a thin bezel contributes majorly to this. Acer utilizes this design principle in many laptops, bringing to users absorbing screen-to-body ratios of 78% or more. In fact, the overall display finesse is quite impressive even in affordable gaming laptops by Acer. You can find sharp color accuracy, support for In-Plane-Switching, and refresh rates as high as 144Hz. The IPS-compatible panel ensures you can sit back and game from various positions, collaborate with competitors, etc., without facing any pixelation.
- Connectivity: Having multiple options to stay connected is another major bonus of Acer laptops. From USB ports to HDMI, display ports to webcams, Wi-Fi to Ethernet controllers, you can get a good variety of options to connect to peripherals, communicate with peers, etc. Many laptops also include an inbuilt USB Type-C port that lets you transfer data rapidly and enjoy quick charging. In the gaming marketplace, budget-friendly laptops frequently compromise on connectivity to deliver competitive prices. Acer manages to accomplish this tricky task quite well.
- Battery backup: For anyone who values un-tethered usage, Acer is a winning brand. Its laptops tend to run unplugged for a considerable amount of time—even the ones with mighty processing configurations. You can expect 5–6 hours of run-time on a single charge, depending, of course, on your usage patterns.
- Keyboard: Acer machines have durable, well-built keyboards that can facilitate fired-up gaming sessions. You can find comfortable key-travel distances that don’t make your fingers feel cramped. The backlighting is good, too, and lends a dazzling aura to the proceedings. (While some machines do offer per-key backlighting, others use a single color, predominantly red.) The use of WASD keys and dedicated zones further amp things up.
Other Considerations Before Buying an Acer Gaming Laptop
One crucial aspect you should consider is the processor—the core of any gaming laptop worth its salt. Acer provides both Intel and AMD options. You can find CPUs as efficient as Intel Core i9, although Intel Core i7 and i5 processors are also available.
If you are on the lookout for a cheaper purchase—but one that supports excellent multitasking—you can settle for an AMD CPU.
AMD machines have emerged as popular options in recent times for their suitability to multitasking, thanks to their multiple cores/threads. The money saved can happily go toward gaming accessories, peripherals, external displays, etc.
A particularly charming aspect of Acer machines is the neat way in which they utilize specialized technologies to deliver superior color and audio. The Acer Color Intelligence technology, for instance, brightens your imagery, sharpens the contrast and makes any A/V experience a great deal more pleasurable. On the auditory front, the Acer True Harmony technology lets you hear all the details without noise, whether you are gaming or conducting a video call.
On the flip side, some users find that Acer gaming laptops tend to get heated up quickly. This can create a potential slowdown in your gaming experience. Also, when the shell becomes too hot, it can be uncomfortable for the user. However, the company has been working on this problem by employing aeroblade fans for increased airflow.
Acer also struggles with a “cheap” reputation with some users, who rate it behind market leaders with more expensive offerings and arguably better build quality. While the competition is indeed fierce, Acer has a good thing going for itself. It takes the cheap presumption in its stride and aims to optimize its offerings while keeping the price tag from getting bloated.
Our Picks: 10 Best Acer Gaming Laptop 2020
The list below recommends the ten best gaming laptops from the Acer family available in the market today. No matter what your budget or requirement, there should be a pick that fits right in.
|Recommended Specs for|
Acer Gaming Laptop
|CPU||Intel Core i7 (Up to 4.5GHz)|
|GPU||NVIDIA GeForce GTX/RTX|
|RAM||16GB DDR4 2666MHz|
|SSD||512GB PCIe NVMe SSD|
|Display||15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080)|
|Weight||Under 6 lbs.|
|Battery||Up to 6 Hours|
|OS||Windows 10 Home|
1. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52-78VL
It offers an Intel i7-9750H processor, 16GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics, and Waves MAXXAudio technology for terrific audio.
This configuration will let you play your favorite AAA games comfortably. Moreover, you are assured of long-term usage, thanks to the metallic 3D fan that effectively dissipates heat.
The FHD monitor delivers a refresh rate of 144Hz and a response time of 3ms to ensure that delays and lags are minimal during games with multiple transitions. You also get a brightness of 300 nits and a color gamut of 72% NTSC for color accuracy.
If you’re looking for a portable laptop, this 5.07lbs laptop with six-hour battery life and plenty of connectivity options can be a good choice. Not only can you avail of Killer DoubleShot Pro (802. 11ac Wi-Fi) but also access multiple USB ports (including a Type-Cone) and an HDMI port.
2. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53-7777
Equipped with an Intel i7-9750H CPU, NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti graphics and Waves MAXXAudio technology, this laptop is well-suited to heavy-duty gameplay.
You get up to 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD, although upgrading is easy through the open slot. The display is also pleasing: an FHD screen with a refresh rate of 144Hz, support for IPS, and a quick response time of 3ms. Additionally, you get brightness off 300 nits and a color gamut of 72% NTSC.
This is a well-connected machine, compatible with Killer DoubleShot Pro 802.11AC Wi-Fi, multiple USB ports, and display ports to plug into external screens. Also, while this is a 17” laptop, it remains quite lightweight at 6.39lbs and offers six-hour battery life. You can carry it with you to gaming competitions without always being plugged into a power station.
3. Acer Predator Helios 700 PH717-71-7091
Its stand-out features include support for NVIDIA G-SYNC technology that minimizes lags and delays and make gameplay a great deal more engaging. It also employs a two-fan cooling system to discourage heat build-up and keep the laptop functioning optimally for longer.
This mega-powerful laptop is fueled by an Intel i7-9750H processor, 16GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD. The FHD monitor, with 300-nits brightness and a color gamut of 72% NTSC, offers a satisfying refresh rate of 144Hz. Also, since you get an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card, your A/V experiences are splendid in the truest sense of the word.
Bonus: This laptop comes with the ease of PredatorSense—a straightforward customization tool that permits you to tinker with everything, right from fan speed to overclocking. This lets you own the game and how.
4. Acer Predator Triton 500 PT515-51-73Z5
Weighing only 4.63lbs and measuring a compact 0.7” in thickness, this device offers speedy processing (Intel Core i7-9750H CPU) and excellent graphics (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q).
It also delivers a vivid display with a brightness of 300 nits, a refresh rate of 144Hz and a quick response time of 3ms. Since the graphics card comes with G-SYNC, any delays and lags are substantially reduced, adding to your enjoyment of the game.
This is a powerful gaming laptop, packed with as much as 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. Keeping things sustainable is a fantastic cooling mechanism with three fans and one metallic aeroblade fan.
Interestingly, this laptop delivers a long-lasting battery life of up to eight hours. Add to that its compatibility with Killer DoubleShot Pro and your online gaming experience can be both exhilarating and unplugged.
5. Acer Predator Triton 900 Core i9 Gaming Laptop
Fired by an Intel Core i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 graphics and a magnificent 4K UHD display, this device is for those who demand incredible, no-holds-barred gameplay.
While the memory on offer is 32GB RAM, the two SSDs of 512GB let you enjoy rapid speeds. Other stand-out features include WAVES NX 3D SOUND and a specially designed keyboard with per-key RGB backlighting and a trackpad that can be switched into a numpad.
You get a lot of flexibility with this computer—design-wise. The CNC-machined hinges let you mould the laptop into a notebook, display, stand, etc. Note that this is a heavy laptop, weighing 9.92lbs.
The cooling mechanism deserves accolades for its efficiency. While the aeroblade fans lead to greater airflow and more effective heat dissipation, the bionic design and noise-reducing winglets ensure a quiet experience. This further guarantees that nothing interferes with your gameplay.
6. Acer Nitro 7 Gaming Laptop
For those looking for a budget-friendly gaming computer, the under-$1000 Acer Nitro 7 is a smart pick.
This 15.6″ laptop is driven by an Intel i7-9750H processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics, and up to seven hours of battery life. You get 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD—not a bad deal for the price. Also, Acer has provided an open slot to make upgrading quite simple.
On the display front, this device is fitted with an FHD monitor that supports IPS and has a brightness of 300 nits. The best part is the use of narrow bezel (0.29″), realizing a screen-to-body ratio of 78%. You can truly immerse yourself in the content with almost zero external interference. The use of Waves MAXXAudio technology ensures high-quality audio output.
This laptop is quite travel-friendly, weighing about 5.51lbs and offering a red-backlit keyboard for use in dimly lit environments.
7. Acer Nitro 5 AMD Ryzen Gaming Laptop
Have you considered purchasing an AMD Ryzen gaming laptop? The 15.6” Acer Nitro 5 is an interesting choice for anyone who wishes to save precious dollars but enjoy a satisfying, multitasking-friendly experience.
Powered by an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU, 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD and AMD Radeon RX 560X graphics, this laptop is adept at running most modern games comfortably. Thanks to the AMD Ryzen processor, you can experience efficient architecture (6 cores) and the improvement it brings to gaming.
Acer has built a well-rounded laptop, complete with MaxxAudio for superior sound, HDMI ports to let you plug into external displays, and an RGB-backlit keyboard for working/playing in lowly lit surroundings.
Plus, since the chassis weighs only 5.07lbs, you can carry it with you without developing hunched shoulders. Yay for all competitive gamers who need to travel frequently for events and marathons!
8. Acer Aspire 7 Casual Gaming Laptop
The 15.6” Acer Aspire 7 is an intelligent choice for casual gamers who wish to combine game-level specs with day-to-day functionality.
Inside the processing compartment is an Intel Core i7-9750H CPU, 16GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD. Steering the A/V side is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card. You can play most AAA games in this configuration, while also relishing the thin-bezel design (0.24”) and an engaging screen-to-body ratio of 80%.
A travel-friendly device, this laptop weighs only 5.18lbs and has a complete assortment of ports (HDMI, USB Type-C and USB 3.1). It can run unplugged for around seven hours, letting you work/play without fretting about a charging station.
Bonus: This laptop uses the Acer Color Intelligence technology to fine-tune the image, leading to brighter and more vivid visuals.
9. Acer Nitro 5 17-inch Gaming Laptop (Intel)
While the specifications aren’t top-rung, they are quite adequate for playing your favorite titles at low to moderate settings.
This laptop has a bright and pleasant FHD display with IPS support. You can view it from different positions without experiencing distortion or loss of detail.
At 5.73lbs, the Acer Nitro 5 is reasonably portable, especially for its form factor. Moreover, the inclusion of a backlit keyboard and as many as seven hours of battery backup make it ideal for traveling. You can avail of a complete assortment of ports such as HDMI and USB 3.1 Type C as well as an HD webcam and Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 ac). The latter delivers a consistent network connection useful for online gaming.
10. Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53-77X3
Coming in at well above $2000, the 17.3” Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53-77X3 is by no means inexpensive.
It is, however, a supremely powerful gaming laptop equipped with an Intel i7-9750H CPU, 32GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q graphics.
Its FHD display boasts of an optimal refresh rate of 144Hz, IPS support, and excellent response time of 3ms. Additionally, the screen has 300 nits brightness and a vast color gamut of 72% NTSC. You can rest assured that your imagery will get rendered accurately during gaming or other multimedia pursuits.
Although this is a heavy-duty laptop, it remains fairly compact at 6.4lbs and can run unplugged for up to six hours. Acer has delivered brilliant fitment to online gaming, too, through Killer Gaming Network E2500 and Wireless Killer DoubleShot Pro. Not only will your bandwidth be optimized, but you will also be able to experience better control and speeds.
Acer has established itself well in the gaming domain and now features among the best manufacturers of game-friendly laptops. Acer’s offerings provide the latest technologies such as per-key RGB backlighting and bandwidth optimization for terrific online gameplay. That said, it also prioritizes cost-effectiveness, offering many powerful laptops in the $1000–$2000 price bucket.
While selecting an Acer gaming machine, it is important to drill down to the basic needs that mean the most to you. Do you require speedy processing and tons of storage space to ensure fast-paced performance? If so, pick a stellar performer like the Acer Predator Triton 900 or the Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53-77X3.
Does portability matter a great deal to you as you are a frequent traveler, student, etc.? A device like the Acer Predator Triton 500 PT515-51-73Z5 may be a better fit for your lifestyle. Similarly, other criteria that might dictate your purchase decision include display and audio-visual splendor, options for connectivity and amount of unplugged usage.
An Acer gaming laptop can serve you well, whether you are a hobbyist, an enthusiast or a regular user who also likes to play games. Choose well.