If you are a fan of large, engaging displays, then getting a best 17-inch laptop might be one of the best decisions you will make.
These computers make fantastic companions for creative professionals like filmmakers, photographers, editors and animators.
They are also well-loved by anyone who enjoys immersive multimedia experiences, gaming, and larger-than-life imagery.
While purchasing a 17” laptop, it is important to weigh its offerings in light of overall usability. For instance, you want a powerful processor and superior sound if you wish to leverage the extra screen space for creative, detail-oriented work. You must also keep a check on the weight and thickness of the device, particularly if you wish to travel with it.
It would never do for the computer to become top-heavy and skimp on important features like connectivity and storage space. We have listed some of the finest 17” laptops you can find in the market today, tailored to different needs and audiences.
The laptop marketplace today is flooded with 17 Inch laptops, and manufacturers are competing with each other like never before. Along with the 15.6” form factor, the 17 Inch is one of the most popular choices with many users.
You get to bring home a powerful device that can smoothly run day-to-day tasks as well as more complicated commands. Plus, there is a ton of space to grant you an engaging user experience. While lovers of portability may not be into the 17 Inch laptop screen size, it sure does have a long list of admirers.
Laptops started out as computers you could carry with you, completing all your pursuits on the go without the restriction to be tethered to a workstation. While they have, over time, evolved into much more than that—style statements, entertainment portals, and best friends—one of their prime utilities continues to be the ability to replace desktops.
In the modern-age marketplace, 17 Inch laptops are best suited as full-purpose machines that offer you the muscle of a desktop in the packaging of a laptop.
Leading brands in the industry like Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Lenovo, LG and MSI have several products in this league, and they sell like hotcakes to audiences looking for computers that can fuel their high-energy, demanding lifestyles.
For all their utility and strength, 17 Inch laptops don’t have it easy. They face substantial competition from machines of smaller—and leaner—form factors, such as 15-inch systems.
It is no secret that 17 Inch laptops can be cumbersome to tow with you, and few products in this class manage to be somewhat light and thin.
If your job demands that you travel often or if you need a portable computer that can last unplugged for several hours, a 17 Inch laptop might not be the most convenient option for you.
However, here’s what these mighty systems definitely bring to the table: a wide, spectacular display and innards spacious enough to host high-performing CPUs and storage.
If your work-life or personal needs require immense computing strength and visual brilliance, you will be well off with one of these.
We have consolidated some of the very best 17 Inch laptops 2021 suited to a multitude of needs and price points. But before we jump to the recommendations, let us get up to speed on some essential know-how on 17 Inch laptops.
- Before Buying a 17 Inch Laptop: Word of Caution
- Our Picks: 10 Best 17-inch Laptops 2021
- 1. LG Gram 17Z90P Lightest 17-inch Laptop
- 2. Dell XPS 17 9710 Best 17-inch Laptop
- 3. ASUS ROG Strix G17 17-inch Gaming Laptop
- 4. Razer Blade Pro 17 17-inch Laptop (Most Powerful)
- 5. Acer Nitro 5 AN517-54 17-inch Laptop
- 6. HP 17-cn0020nr 17-inch Laptop Under $700
- 7. Acer Aspire 5 A517-52 (Under $1000)
- 8. MSI GS76 Stealth 360Hz 17-inch Laptop
- 9. ASUS VivoBook S17 S712 Budget 17-inch Laptop
- 10. HP Omen 17 17-inch Gaming Laptop
- Should You Really Purchase a 17 Inch Laptop?
- Who Can Benefit the Most from 17 Inch Laptops?
- Standard Specifications of 17 Inch Laptops
- So, Ready to Bring Home a 17 Inch Behemoth?
Before Buying a 17 Inch Laptop: Word of Caution
The 17” screen size is appealing in a myriad of ways. However, before you decide to invest in one of these laptops, remember the following considerations:
- You are unlikely to find the laptop very travel-friendly. While some of these notebooks are lightweight and sleek, you won’t get the kind of mobility that say, a 14” laptop can provide. If you work out of cafes and in public transport, things will get uncomfortable.
- Do not expect too much battery backup. These computers are more suited to usage while tethered. You are highly unlikely to extract unplugged usage for dream-like durations such as 12 hours and above.
- Be mindful of your budget. Here’s a rule of thumb: 17” laptops rarely come in cheap. While some manufacturers like Asus and HP have succeeded in coming out with 17” computers in the range of $500 and above, they usually have low-end configurations. For instance, you might get only 8GB RAM and SSD storage of 128GB. This is inadequate for pursuits like gaming at the highest settings. For a full-purpose 17” laptop that can handle it all, you will have to shell out a heftier price.
Our Picks: 10 Best 17-inch Laptops 2021
The following list of the best 17-inch laptops comprises notebooks that can become great partners at school/home/the workplace. Some of them can also double up as entertainment- or gaming platforms.
The list includes picks across the leading laptop manufacturers in the marketplace today, such as Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, MSI and Razer. Whatever your computing needs are, it is probable that the 17 Inch space will have an ideal partner that is just right!
Best 17 Inch Laptop – Recommended Specs
|Processor||11th Gen. Intel Core i7 (up to 4.9GHz)|
|Graphics||NVIDIA GTX/RTX Graphics|
|Memory||16GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory|
|Storage||512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD|
|Display||17.3-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080)|
|Battery||Up to 12 Hours|
|Keyboard||4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard|
|OS||Windows 10 Home 64-bit|
1. LG Gram 17Z90P Lightest 17-inch Laptop
Finding a premium quality laptop with a wide 17-inch display can be extremely challenging but with the recent launch of the 2021 LG Gram 17Z90P, you wouldn’t have to look any further.
It features a stunning yet lightweight design that you can carry around, even when you are on the go.
The device is equipped with a 17” WQXGA FHD LCD IPS display with narrow bezels on the side for improved screen to body ratio. It is powered by the latest 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 CPU and Intel Iris Xe graphics for smoother visuals and crisp color reproduction.
It is integrated with 1TB SSD for storage and 16GB RAM for memory options, especially for uninterrupted user experience and performance. It does feature an extended battery life of up to 19.5 hours.
2. Dell XPS 17 9710 Best 17-inch Laptop
If you don’t need a portable system and can make do with something static, the Dell XPS 17 9710 is one of the best available options.
Not only do you get the trust of Dell, it also packs in all the latest features that you would need for effortless functions and latest features.
The unique thing about this device is that it packs in a 17” display in a 15” sized laptop with power.
The sleek design and the durable built of the laptop is also amazing. The device is also powered by 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11800H processor with up to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 GPU for smoother performance unlike anything else.
The 17” touch display along with 512GB PCIe SSD and 16GB RAM provides with effortless productivity in a sleek and modern design.
3. ASUS ROG Strix G17 17-inch Gaming Laptop
Whatever the questions be, if we are talking about 17-inch gaming laptops, ASUS ROG series steals the show.
The ASUS ROG Strix G17 (2021) out of them is hands down the best available option that you can take a look into.
Unlike the other similar options, this one is comparatively cheaper and priced under $2000.
The device is powered by the latest AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX. As for the graphics processor, it is integrated with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU for smoother gameplay and crisp and clear graphics.
The 17.3” FHD display also has a 300Hz refresh rate that allows smoother gaming experience. The device does have 1TB PCIe SSD for storage along with 16GB RAM for smoother memory options. The ROG Intelligent Cooling thermal system further boosts the performance of the device.
4. Razer Blade Pro 17 17-inch Laptop (Most Powerful)
Passionate gamers, rejoice! The Razer Blade Pro 17 2021 is among the most powerful 17” gaming laptops you can purchase.
It is packed with intuitive features like facial unlock, per-key backlighting on the keyboard, and an efficient heat dissipation mechanism (vapor chamber cooling).
Processing-wise, this laptop is uber-powerful: an Intel Core i7-11800H processor, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB SSD (upgradeable). This is adequate even for demanding AAA games. Leading the multimedia department is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Max-Q graphics card.
The smartest thing Razer has done here is maintain a robust, fairly lightweight chassis in this high-power device.
So, it weighs only 6.06lbs and has a profile measuring 0.78”. The CNC aluminum body is both durable and attractive—a perfect combo for contemporary gamers.
On the display front, you can enjoy a refresh rate of 165Hz and a color gamut of 100% sRGB. Also, since the matte screen is factory-calibrated, you tend to realize better color accuracy and immerse yourself in all the details of the rendered imagery.
5. Acer Nitro 5 AN517-54 17-inch Laptop
Belying the belief that 17” gaming laptops must be expensive is the Acer Nitro 5 AN517-54, with its price tag of $1,199.99.
It is powered by an 11th gen Intel Core i7-11800H processor, NVIDIA RTX 3050Ti graphics, and an FHD display (with an IPS panel) for optimal viewing pleasure.
A coolboost technology keeps things cool. The upside is the RAM support of 16GB and the available storage of 1TB (SSD).
While you will be able to enjoy several contemporary games, the settings will require some fine-tuning.
Note that this computer is low on portability; it weighs 5.95lbs and measures 0.98” in thickness. It does, however, offer plentiful connectivity with Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless-AC 1550 802.11ax and an RGB backlit keyboard.
6. HP 17-cn0020nr 17-inch Laptop Under $700
What we love best: How affordable is the HP 17-cn0020nr 17-inch laptop and how committed to delivering cost-effectiveness to the consumer!
At a sub-$700 price, you get a 17-inch screen, an Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor, and other desktop-class features like a full-purpose keyboard and extensive options for device connectivity.
If you are scouting for a budget 17-inch laptop, it really doesn’t get any better than this.
It has 512GB of SSD storage and 8GB of DDR4 RAM. Notably, this is also a fairly lightweight machine—it weighs 5.25lbs. This is well within the portability standards for laptops in this class. It has a thickness of 0.78”.
The device support offered by this laptop is ample: two USB Type-C ports, one USB Type-A port, an HD webcam (with HP TrueVision), a multi-format digital media reader, and one HDMI port to plug in external displays. It also supports 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth.
7. Acer Aspire 5 A517-52 (Under $1000)
If you are looking for a everyday mid-range laptop equipped with a stunning 17” display, the Acer Aspire 5 A517-52 is the best option out there.
The device is priced under $1000, making it an extremely affordable and highly-quality device that you can splurge out on.
The ultra-thin, all-metal design breaks the boundaries of performance and offers superior user experience like no other.
The Aspire 5 is equipped with a 17.3” FHD widescreen LED-backlit display with 1080p screen resolution for superior visual experience like no other.
Also, the combination of the Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor with Intel Iris Xe Graphics with the fine-tuned design offers uninterrupted speed and reliability, ensuring that nothing impacts your productivity throughout the day.
The device is integrated with 512GB NVMe SSD for faster storage along with 8GB RAM for superior multitasking experience. Aside from that, the Acer Fingerprint reader and the host of I/O ports ensure superior connectivity and security as well.
8. MSI GS76 Stealth 360Hz 17-inch Laptop
It has a heat dissipation system comprising three fans with up to 47 blades each, six heat pipes (copper), and four exhausts—a reliable arrangement to dissipate heat and keep the laptop functioning at optimal settings for long durations.
Another useful feature of this computer is its gaming-friendly keyboard with a smooth touchpad that is 35% larger than in older models and supports 10+ gestures. It majorly simplifies things during gameplay, giving you a distinct edge over competitors.
MSI has created a mega-attractive gaming laptop in matte black, as powerful to behold as it really is within.
The CPU muscle is supported by 32GB RAM, a 2TB NVMe SSD, and battery life of 11 hours. A power adaptor that is 28% slimmer simplifies battery charging when you are on the go.
A thin-bezel (4.9mm) makes the monitor immersive, realizing a screen-to-body ratio of 84%. The FHD display with a refresh rate of 360Hz, a response time of 3ms, and, of course, RTX 3080 graphics lives up to the expectations of even demanding gamers.
Accessibility-wise, this laptop is beyond satisfactory. It has an RGB backlit keyboard (Steel Series Engine 3) with customizable per-key lighting.
The dual internet provision of LAN and Wi-Fi (Killer Gaming Network E2500, Killer N1550i Combo and Killer xTend) provides an optimal online gaming experience.
The lightweight chassis that weighs 5.40lbs and measures 0.8” ups the overall mobility of this laptop, making it easy to transport to outdoor gaming marathons.
9. ASUS VivoBook S17 S712 Budget 17-inch Laptop
Finding 17-inch laptops under $1000 is nothing short of a challenge.
However, with so many varying options, the VivoBook S17 S712 is that one device that stands out of the lot, all thanks to the 17.3” FHD 4-way nano-edge display with 85% screen to body ratio.
Apart from being a budget-friendly option, the device is equipped with all the latest features that you need for uninterrupted user experience.
The device is powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 5500U processor with up to 2.1GHz frequency. Despite the affordable price point, this 17-inch laptop is designed with a durable and high-quality metal chassis for enhanced durability. Also, the ergonomic backlit chiclet keyboard gives a premium look to the device.
Also, the Ergolift keyboard enables users to experience improved typing position for a comfortable experience.
As for the storage and memory, the device is integrated with dual-channel storage with 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD along with 8GB DDR4 RAM for memory options. The device is integrated with all the latest I/O ports for improved connectivity as well.
10. HP Omen 17 17-inch Gaming Laptop
If you are looking for an all-rounder 17” laptop, then you can consider the HP Omen 17.
Fueled by an Intel Core i7-11800H processor, 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD, this device is powerful enough for both standard computing needs and demanding tasks like gaming.
You have single-panel access to the memory and the storage to ensure easy upgradability.
HP offers a pleasant FHD display with an anti-glare panel, IPS support, and a refresh rate of 165Hz. Leading the multimedia front is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, which means you can enthrall in the glories of real-time ray tracing and images enhanced by artificial intelligence.
Plus, the laptop also supports G-SYNC; this effectively reduces stuttering and delays to make gaming more enjoyable. Since this device comes with DTS:X Ultra audio, excellent sound output is guaranteed.
Bonus: This HP computer is highly customizable, thanks to the Omen command center. It also has a dependable security module (Bios recovery and protection) to check against unauthorized access and other system-related issues.
Should You Really Purchase a 17 Inch Laptop?
One of the biggest reservations with purchasing a 17-inch laptop is its sheer bulk. How will you lug along the mammoth; how will it ever fit into backpacks or rucksacks that you carry to the office? Most 17-inch laptops also don’t promise long battery life, which limits their portability.
And, of course, the shoe really starts to pinch when you consider the price; few 17-inch laptops come in cheap. Making peace with all these limitations only for a larger screen doesn’t seem to be a wise decision. Except: it can be.
When you purchase a 17 Inch laptop, you don’t pay a premium only for a larger screen but also, typically, a powerful processor, superior graphics, and the CPU muscle to cater to both day-to-day tasks and intensive pursuits like multimedia editing, wireless streaming, and gaming.
Many of these machines also boast of expansive memory (frequently fitted with high-speed SSDs) and efficient cooling systems for sustainable operation over long hours.
Indeed, most 17 inch laptops are equipped with abundant USB ports and offer adequate provisions for internet connectivity.
Add to that mix a full-purpose keyboard, and you essentially have a near-desktop machine in the garb of a laptop.
So, while 17 inch laptops might be bulkier, pricier and unsuitable for frequent travelers, they are perfect for anyone who prioritizes performance over all else.
To their merit, these computers can usually fit into multiple shoes—that of workstations, entertainment portals, as well as gaming machines.
Who Can Benefit the Most from 17 Inch Laptops?
If you have been toying with the idea of purchasing a 17” laptop but wondering if it was the right fit for your lifestyle, here is a quick checklist to give you some perspective. You definitely stand to benefit from a 17” laptop if you are a:
- Creative professional/student: These guys need a lot of screen area to view their content in all its finery. We are talking about photographers, film-makers, videographers, art students, etc. A larger display space helps them visualize better, and thus, work better. Interestingly, many 17” notebooks also boast of larger trackpads and generally more comfort for your fingers while typing/issuing commands.
- Gamer: Not only is a 17-inch laptop spacious, but it is also powerful. Manufacturers frequently infuse these products with top-of-the-line CPUs and GPUs—just the kind that gets gamers excited. If you are passionate about gameplay, you will find little to be disappointed with in a grand, performance-oriented 17” laptop that lets you see every detail and efficiently beat your foes on the arena.
- Programmer: Computer programming, coding, testing, etc., often tend to be CPU-intensive. They also demand greater screen space to prevent the user from developing a headache. A 17 Inch laptop can be a good blend of power and ergonomic design to cater to the demands of this audience.
- Home-based user/shared usage: Some households prefer to have a large laptop that everyone can use instead of a bulky desktop that takes up too much space, not to forget wiring. A 17 Inch laptop can fit this role admirably. It can be the entertainment portal for a late-night movie or the homework buddy of a student. (Note: As households become more sectored and the number of laptops/desktops per family goes up, this user group faces the risk of extinction.)
- Budget-watcher: Strange as this may seem, budget-watchers also have multiple options in the 17”-laptop market. You can even find ones that cost less than $500, although, of course, you will have to cut some corners when it comes to specifications. Some 17” computers are priced in the $600-$700 range, while several come in at around $1000.
Standard Specifications of 17 Inch Laptops
Undoubtedly, you are looking at the best-in-class configuration when it comes to a 17” notebook. Typically, these are high-performing, output-oriented computers that employ powerful processors and graphics cards. Usually, they also boast of plentiful storage and a sturdy build, well in line with their overall robust personalities. When you are out purchasing a 17” laptop, you should check for the following specifications to ensure that you land a good deal.
- High-performing processor: You want at least an Intel Core i5 or an equivalent AMD Ryzen CPU. Many 17” laptops have Intel Core i7 processors of the latest generation and also support overclocking. Acquiring a computer with a multi-core processor can provide a fillip to your multitasking endeavors while keeping you on top of your daily pursuits with speed and efficiency.
In the same vein, you must also evaluate the heat dissipation mechanism. With great power, lots of heat comes unsolicited. Utilizing an innovative and effective cooling mechanism like aeroblade fans, anti-dust technology, etc., can keep things sustainable.
- Memory and storage: The RAM support will decide whether or not you can smoothly use the laptop for pursuits like multimedia editing, gaming, wireless streaming, and multitasking. Check that you get a minimum of 8GB RAM. It is also vital to get SSD (solid-state drive) storage to the tune of 512GB or above.
Getting an SSD can make a mammoth difference to your overall computing experience as it offers fast read/write speeds, low heating, and greater dependability over time. Some laptops provide a combination of SSD and HDD (traditional hard disk drives).
- Display and graphics: When it comes to 17” laptops, getting a dedicated graphics processor is a must. You will typically be unleashing such immense power in the gaming arena or for CPU-intensive pursuits like working on multiple spreadsheets.
It makes sense to get a visual experience that can match up. Look for an NVIDIA RTX graphics card. It offers real-time ray tracing, which lets in-game light mimic the behavior of light in real life.
You can also experience imagery that has been enhanced by artificial intelligence. If you have only used NVIDIA GTX cards in the past, the difference will be phenomenal, particularly when you play games involving multiple transitions and special effects.
Besides the GPU, you also need to consider the configuration of the monitor. An FHD (Full High Definition) monitor with IPS (In-Plane Switching) and an anti-glare panel is pretty much mandatory with 17” laptops. The addition of IPS lets you enjoy the onscreen proceedings from various viewing positions, with negligible distortion.
Also, check that the compatible screen resolution is at least 1920 x 1080. Or, you might want to consider an even more elaborate, 4K resolution (3840 x 2160). Getting the right resolution is important to render your content without incurring a loss of detail. Note: A touch display is not really necessary with 17” laptops. Neither is it, as some users will argue, useful.
Many 17” notebooks also emphasize on providing the user with an immersive viewing experience. They guarantee this through a narrow-bezel design that maximizes the screen-to-body ratio. When you have more screen real estate in which to showcase the content, all your pursuits become much more enjoyable.
- Battery backup: Let’s face it: 17” laptops are not the most portable of the lot. They are not intended to be used while traveling or be without access to a power station for long periods.
Therefore, you will be hard-pressed to find a notebook that offers all-day usage on one charge. However, some machines do manage to provide around 8 hours of juice. You can also look for quick-charging batteries that can power up in under an hour.
- Build and construction: This bucket will largely be determined by your usage patterns. If you do plan to carry your laptop along quite a bit, you might want to aim for a weight range of 4–6lbs and a slim profile.
You should also look for durable (preferably military-standard) construction, that can withstand varying temperatures, altitudes, etc. However, if most of your usage will be out of a workstation, you have more options to choose from. It is common to find 17” laptops that weigh around 10lbs.
- Keyboard: With 17” laptops, you are likely to get full-purpose, almost desktop-grade keyboards with torture testing and anti-ghosting. Some even have a dedicated number pad to assist people involved in considerable number-crunching during the day.
If your primary focus is going to be gaming, the keyboard will require some additional features like backlighting (per-key backlighting is available with 17” notebooks), n-key rollover, and WASD keys.
- Device/connectivity support: Since 17” laptops are pitched as desktop-replacement computers, it goes without saying that they require excellent connectivity. You should check for a full array of ports, including USB and HDMI.
These connections will be essential to allow you access to data-storage devices, peripherals, external displays, etc. If the laptop also has a Type-C port, then you can relish rapid data transfer and quick charging.
The good part is, modern design allows 17” notebooks to offer an entire spectrum of ports without getting too beefed up and compromising on design. Internet connectivity is also mandatory, preferably with support for the latest Wi-Fi standard, LAN, and Ethernet.
So, Ready to Bring Home a 17 Inch Behemoth?
We hope you found the 17-inch laptop of your dreams in our comprehensive list.
These machines are increasingly getting more adept at fulfilling a wide spectrum of needs, and you are likely to find something after your own heart, whether you crave a performance edge for work assignments or triumphs on the gaming arena.
For instance, the ASUS ROG G17 is an ideal choice for gaming enthusiasts who long for an immersive display and minimal tearing or lags during gameplay.
The ASUS TUF, on the other hand, is well-suited to budget-watchers who wish to achieve equilibrium between cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
While setting out to purchase a 17-inch laptop, remember that you will be making some compromises in mobility, battery life, and overall convenience of transport.
Assess your lifestyle, and see if you would be better off with a juggernaut that does not stop at anything but needs effort to be lugged along, or a nimbler and niftier computer that is lower on brute force.
With a 17-inch laptop, the reassurances are several; the speeds, flexibility of use, and the semblance of a desktop-like work environment are sure to be unparalleled.