10 Best 17 Inch Laptops 2020
Expand your horizons with a 17-inch laptop
The laptop marketplace today is flooded with 17 Inch laptops, and manufacturers are competing with each other like never before. Along with the 15.6” form factor, the 17 Inch is one of the most popular choices with many users. You get to bring home a powerful device that can smoothly run day-to-day tasks as well as more complicated commands. Plus, there is a ton of space to grant you an engaging user experience. While lovers of portability may not be into the 17 Inch laptop screen size, it sure does have a long list of admirers.
Laptops started out as computers you could carry with you, completing all your pursuits on the go without the restriction to be tethered to a workstation. While they have, over time, evolved into much more than that—style statements, entertainment portals, and best friends—one of their prime utilities continues to be the ability to replace desktops.
In the modern-age marketplace, 17 Inch laptops are best suited as full-purpose machines that offer you the muscle of a desktop in the packaging of a laptop.
Leading brands in the industry like Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Lenovo, LG and MSI have several products in this league, and they sell like hotcakes to audiences looking for computers that can fuel their high-energy, demanding lifestyles.
For all their utility and strength, 17 Inch laptops don’t have it easy. They face substantial competition from machines of smaller—and leaner—form factors, such as 15-inch systems.
It is no secret that 17 Inch laptops can be cumbersome to tow with you, and few products in this class manage to be somewhat light and thin.
If your job demands that you travel often or if you need a portable computer that can last unplugged for several hours, a 17 Inch laptop might not be the most convenient option for you.
However, here’s what these mighty systems definitely bring to the table: a wide, spectacular display and innards spacious enough to host high-performing CPUs and storage.
If your work-life or personal needs require immense computing strength and visual brilliance, you will be well off with one of these.
We have consolidated some of the very best 17 Inch laptops 2020 suited to a multitude of needs and price points. But before we jump to the recommendations, let us get up to speed on some essential know-how on 17 Inch laptops.
- Should You Really Purchase a 17 Inch Laptop?
- Who Can Benefit the Most from 17 Inch Laptops?
- Standard Specifications of 17 Inch Laptops
- Before Buying a 17 Inch Laptop: Word of Caution
- Our Picks: 10 Best 17 Inch Laptops 2020
- So, Ready to Bring Home a 17 Inch Behemoth?
Should You Really Purchase a 17 Inch Laptop?
One of the biggest reservations with purchasing a 17-inch laptop is its sheer bulk. How will you lug along the mammoth; how will it ever fit into backpacks or rucksacks that you carry to the office? Most 17-inch laptops also don’t promise long battery life, which limits their portability.
And, of course, the shoe really starts to pinch when you consider the price; few 17-inch laptops come in cheap. Making peace with all these limitations only for a larger screen doesn’t seem to be a wise decision. Except: it can be.
When you purchase a 17 Inch laptop, you don’t pay a premium only for a larger screen but also, typically, a powerful processor, superior graphics, and the CPU muscle to cater to both day-to-day tasks and intensive pursuits like multimedia editing, wireless streaming, and gaming.
Many of these machines also boast of expansive memory (frequently fitted with high-speed SSDs) and efficient cooling systems for sustainable operation over long hours.
Indeed, most 17 inch laptops are equipped with abundant USB ports and offer adequate provisions for internet connectivity.
Add to that mix a full-purpose keyboard, and you essentially have a near-desktop machine in the garb of a laptop.
So, while 17 inch laptops might be bulkier, pricier and unsuitable for frequent travelers, they are perfect for anyone who prioritizes performance over all else.
To their merit, these computers can usually fit into multiple shoes—that of workstations, entertainment portals, as well as gaming machines.
Who Can Benefit the Most from 17 Inch Laptops?
If you have been toying with the idea of purchasing a 17” laptop but wondering if it was the right fit for your lifestyle, here is a quick checklist to give you some perspective. You definitely stand to benefit from a 17” laptop if you are a:
- Creative professional/student: These guys need a lot of screen area to view their content in all its finery. We are talking about photographers, film-makers, videographers, art students, etc. A larger display space helps them visualize better, and thus, work better. Interestingly, many 17” notebooks also boast of larger trackpads and generally more comfort for your fingers while typing/issuing commands.
- Gamer: Not only is a 17-inch laptop spacious, but it is also powerful. Manufacturers frequently infuse these products with top-of-the-line CPUs and GPUs—just the kind that gets gamers excited. If you are passionate about gameplay, you will find little to be disappointed with in a grand, performance-oriented 17” laptop that lets you see every detail and efficiently beat your foes on the arena.
- Programmer: Computer programming, coding, testing, etc., often tend to be CPU-intensive. They also demand greater screen space to prevent the user from developing a headache. A 17 Inch laptop can be a good blend of power and ergonomic design to cater to the demands of this audience.
- Home-based user/shared usage: Some households prefer to have a large laptop that everyone can use instead of a bulky desktop that takes up too much space, not to forget wiring. A 17 Inch laptop can fit this role admirably. It can be the entertainment portal for a late-night movie or the homework buddy of a student. (Note: As households become more sectored and the number of laptops/desktops per family goes up, this user group faces the risk of extinction.)
- Budget-watcher: Strange as this may seem, budget-watchers also have multiple options in the 17”-laptop market. You can even find ones that cost less than $500, although, of course, you will have to cut some corners when it comes to specifications. Some 17” computers are priced in the $600-$700 range, while several come in at around $1000.
Standard Specifications of 17 Inch Laptops
Undoubtedly, you are looking at the best-in-class configuration when it comes to a 17” notebook. Typically, these are high-performing, output-oriented computers that employ powerful processors and graphics cards. Usually, they also boast of plentiful storage and a sturdy build, well in line with their overall robust personalities. When you are out purchasing a 17” laptop, you should check for the following specifications to ensure that you land a good deal.
- High-performing processor: You want at least an Intel Core i5 or an equivalent AMD Ryzen CPU. Many 17” laptops have Intel Core i7 processors of the latest generation and also support overclocking. Acquiring a computer with a multi-core processor can provide a fillip to your multitasking endeavors while keeping you on top of your daily pursuits with speed and efficiency.
In the same vein, you must also evaluate the heat dissipation mechanism. With great power, lots of heat comes unsolicited. Utilizing an innovative and effective cooling mechanism like aeroblade fans, anti-dust technology, etc., can keep things sustainable.
- Memory and storage: The RAM support will decide whether or not you can smoothly use the laptop for pursuits like multimedia editing, gaming, wireless streaming, and multitasking. Check that you get a minimum of 8GB RAM. It is also vital to get SSD (solid-state drive) storage to the tune of 512GB or above.
Getting an SSD can make a mammoth difference to your overall computing experience as it offers fast read/write speeds, low heating, and greater dependability over time. Some laptops provide a combination of SSD and HDD (traditional hard disk drives).
- Display and graphics: When it comes to 17” laptops, getting a dedicated graphics processor is a must. You will typically be unleashing such immense power in the gaming arena or for CPU-intensive pursuits like working on multiple spreadsheets.
It makes sense to get a visual experience that can match up. Look for an NVIDIA RTX graphics card. It offers real-time ray tracing, which lets in-game light mimic the behavior of light in real life.
You can also experience imagery that has been enhanced by artificial intelligence. If you have only used NVIDIA GTX cards in the past, the difference will be phenomenal, particularly when you play games involving multiple transitions and special effects.
Besides the GPU, you also need to consider the configuration of the monitor. An FHD (Full High Definition) monitor with IPS (In-Plane Switching) and an anti-glare panel is pretty much mandatory with 17” laptops. The addition of IPS lets you enjoy the onscreen proceedings from various viewing positions, with negligible distortion.
Also, check that the compatible screen resolution is at least 1920 x 1080. Or, you might want to consider an even more elaborate, 4K resolution (3840 x 2160). Getting the right resolution is important to render your content without incurring a loss of detail. Note: A touch display is not really necessary with 17” laptops. Neither is it, as some users will argue, useful.
Many 17” notebooks also emphasize on providing the user with an immersive viewing experience. They guarantee this through a narrow-bezel design that maximizes the screen-to-body ratio. When you have more screen real estate in which to showcase the content, all your pursuits become much more enjoyable.
- Battery backup: Let’s face it: 17” laptops are not the most portable of the lot. They are not intended to be used while traveling or be without access to a power station for long periods.
Therefore, you will be hard-pressed to find a notebook that offers all-day usage on one charge. However, some machines do manage to provide around 8 hours of juice. You can also look for quick-charging batteries that can power up in under an hour.
- Build and construction: This bucket will largely be determined by your usage patterns. If you do plan to carry your laptop along quite a bit, you might want to aim for a weight range of 4–6lbs and a slim profile.
You should also look for durable (preferably military-standard) construction, that can withstand varying temperatures, altitudes, etc. However, if most of your usage will be out of a workstation, you have more options to choose from. It is common to find 17” laptops that weigh around 10lbs.
- Keyboard: With 17” laptops, you are likely to get full-purpose, almost desktop-grade keyboards with torture testing and anti-ghosting. Some even have a dedicated number pad to assist people involved in considerable number-crunching during the day.
If your primary focus is going to be gaming, the keyboard will require some additional features like backlighting (per-key backlighting is available with 17” notebooks), n-key rollover, and WASD keys.
- Device/connectivity support: Since 17” laptops are pitched as desktop-replacement computers, it goes without saying that they require excellent connectivity. You should check for a full array of ports, including USB and HDMI.
These connections will be essential to allow you access to data-storage devices, peripherals, external displays, etc. If the laptop also has a Type-C port, then you can relish rapid data transfer and quick charging.
The good part is, modern design allows 17” notebooks to offer an entire spectrum of ports without getting too beefed up and compromising on design. Internet connectivity is also mandatory, preferably with support for the latest Wi-Fi standard, LAN, and Ethernet.
Before Buying a 17 Inch Laptop: Word of Caution
The 17” screen size is appealing in a myriad of ways. However, before you decide to invest in one of these laptops, remember the following considerations:
- You are unlikely to find the laptop very travel-friendly. While some of these notebooks are lightweight and sleek, you won’t get the kind of mobility that say, a 14” laptop can provide. If you work out of cafes and in public transport, things will get uncomfortable.
- Do not expect too much battery backup. These computers are more suited to usage while tethered. You are highly unlikely to extract unplugged usage for dream-like durations such as 12 hours and above.
- Be mindful of your budget. Here’s a rule of thumb: 17” laptops rarely come in cheap. While some manufacturers like Asus and HP have succeeded in coming out with 17” computers in the range of $500 and above, they usually have low-end configurations. For instance, you might get only 8GB RAM and SSD storage of 128GB. This is inadequate for pursuits like gaming at the highest settings. For a full-purpose 17” laptop that can handle it all, you will have to shell out a heftier price.
Our Picks: 10 Best 17 Inch Laptops 2020
The following list of the best 17 Inch laptops comprises notebooks that can become great partners at school/home/the workplace. Some of them can also double up as entertainment- or gaming platforms.
The list includes picks across the leading laptop manufacturers in the marketplace today, such as Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, MSI and Razer. Whatever your computing needs are, it is probable that the 17 Inch space will have an ideal partner that is just right!
1. LG Gram 17Z990 – Best 17 Inch Laptop
What we love best: The grand display, for sure! The LG Gram 17Z990 laptop has a WQXGA display (Wide Quad Extended Graphics Array) with a screen resolution of as much as 2560 x 1600 and a comfortable aspect ratio of 16:10.
You can avail of the DTS Headphone:X to further enhance your experience with 11.1-channel surround sound.
Another huge bonus: amazing battery life and portability. Surprisingly for a 17-inch laptop, the lithium battery on this one (72Wh) can last up to 19. 5 hours! This is enough and more for even the longest workdays and almost unrivaled in the league of 17-inch laptops.
It weighs an unbelievably low 2.95lbs and has a thickness of 0.7”—by far the thinnest and leanest on this list.
LG has carefully put together a portable 17-inch laptop that combines performance with spellbinding mobility. An Intel i7 processor drives this machine, supported by 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.
Build-wise, while this laptop is almost impossibly light for its size, the construction is reliable and long-lasting (MIL-STD-810G). LG has used premium nano-carbon-magnesium for the chassis, and this makes the machine lightweight and durable at the same time.
Facilitating accessibility on the run is a fingerprint reader that, with Windows Hello, lets you log in minus the need to type in a lengthy password.
The keyboard is backlit too, which allows you to work in all kinds of ambient lighting. Further, the touchpad supports multi-touch gestures (up to four fingers).
Keeping you connected with the world are a webcam (on the top bezel), a USB Type-C port, three USB 3.1 ports, and an HDMI to connect to external displays.
On the flipside: This laptop uses Intel HD Graphics 610 (integrated). You will miss out on the power and brilliance of a dedicated GPU which can severely limit gaming potential.
2. Acer Predator Helios 300
It is powered by an Intel i7-9750H processor, NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti graphics, and an FHD display (with an IPS panel) for optimal viewing pleasure.
A metallic AeroBlade 3D fan keeps things cool. The downside is the RAM support of 8GB and the available storage of 512GB (SSD). While you will be able to enjoy several contemporary games, the settings will require some fine-tuning.
Note that this computer is low on portability; it weighs 10.65lbs and measures 1” in thickness. It does, however, offer plentiful connectivity with Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless-AC 1550 802.11ac and an RGB backlit keyboard.
3. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701
This 17” laptop boasts of an Intel Core i7-9750H processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics, a refresh rate of 144Hz, a Pantone-validated display for color accuracy, and a detachable webcam.
The RAM support is 16GB, while the available storage is 1TB (SSD). Also, the graphics card supports both G-SYNC and Optimus mode, enabling you to switch between optimum battery life and the finest performance.
The FHD display, with its IPS panel and screen-to-body ratio of 81%, creates a compelling gaming experience.
The exterior, too, radiates style, with the sleek profile measuring only 0.74” and the lightweight chassis weighing 5.73lbs.
4. MSI GS75 Stealth-413
This laptop is a fine blend of form and function with its Intel Core i7-9750H CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti graphics, and attractive, gold-accented design.
The RAM support of 16GB and the 1TB SSD prove to be ample for most modern AAA games. Plus, the battery backup of 8+ hours is a major differentiator since few 17 Inch gaming laptops compare to this.
On the display front, you get to enjoy a thin-bezel design with immense real estate (a screen-to-body-ratio of 85%) and a refresh rate of 144Hz.
Bonus: This 4.96lbs machine has a specially designed keyboard with a premium glass touchpad and support for over ten gestures.
5. Razer Blade Pro 17 Gaming Laptop
The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card meets an FHD screen with a refresh rate of 144Hz and a color gamut of 100% sRGB. Also included in the package is an RGB keyboard with per-key lighting and biometric security (facial) through Windows Hello.
An especially useful feature of this extreme gaming laptop is the vapor chamber cooling that keeps the proceedings running smoothly.
Also, this computer supports easy upgradeability, which gives you immense freedom to upscale as time goes by.
Bonus: For all its power, this gaming laptop weighs only 2.84lbs and measures 0.78”. Talk about performance meeting portability!
6. ASUS VivoBook Pro 17 N705FD-ES76
It is also incredibly thin at 0.8”. Carry this aluminum-build laptop with ease and enjoy the large screen without added weight or bulk.
The swift charging battery powers up to 60% in 49 minutes, which further boosts the mobility and limits the amount of time you need to spend glued to a power station.
VivoBooks have mastered the art of portability and adapting to contemporary lifestyles; the ASUS VivoBook Pro 17 continues the tradition.
Even though it has a huge 17.3” FHD screen and a powerful Intel Core i7 processor, it manages to remain lightweight and lean, perfectly suiting all those who demand great power hand in hand with convenient mobility.
The CPU is well supported by 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD (in addition to a 1TB HDD).
The display is topnotch, with a wide-view monitor (178-degree), a color gamut of 100% sRGB and 72% NTSC, and software enhancement by the ASUS Splendid technology.
Plus, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card with 4GB of dedicated memory ensures captivating imagery that does justice to any multimedia content you choose to play.
This is complemented by a top-of-the-class audio system, comprising stereo speakers with smart amplifiers, the Harman-Kardon edge, and the innovative ASUS SonicMaster technology for richer bass and volume.
Another exceptional feature of this laptop is its superb device support and accessibility. You will find a USB-C (Gen1) port in addition to a USB 3.0 port (Type-A), two USB 2.0 ports, an HDMI, as well as a fingerprint security reader.
The 802.11ac Wi-Fi (2×2) helps provide consistent connectivity, minimizing network congestion. A full-size backlit keyboard with a key-travel distance of 1.4mm makes unending hours of work ergonomic and pain-free.
7. Dell Inspiron 17 7790
You have got to check out the Dell Inspiron 17 7790—a hinge-based computer fueled by an Intel i7-10510U CPU, 16GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics.
The Intel Optane memory offers combination storage with a 512GB SSD. The cooling mechanism is particularly praiseworthy since it adapts to the position of the laptop (your hands, lap, or desk).
This is one good-looking convertible too, with varying cuts (anodized, hairline and diamond) to lend the 5.95lbs chassis a stylish appeal. The FHD screen uses a narrow border and provides an optimal screen resolution of 1920 x 1080.
Bonus: The keyboard comes with a full number pad, which can be handy if you engage in data entry operations. Dell also throws in a unique webcam with a 4-element lens and temporal noise reduction.
8. HP Pavilion 17-cd0020nr
The HP Pavilion 17-cd0020nr houses an Intel Core i5-9300H CPU, 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics. (The memory is easy to upgrade.)
The FHD screen with IPS, an anti-glare panel, and a refresh rate of 144Hz ensures that the details in your content are given the importance they deserve.
Additionally, this 6.04lbs computer utilizes an optimized thermal design to keep the components cool for longer durations. It can last on one charge for about 8 hours and 45 minutes, which further enhances your flexibility of use.
You can experience terrific acoustics, thanks to the front-firing speakers and the B&O audio. This laptop is completely VR-ready, although you will need to purchase the necessary equipment separately.
9. ASUS TUF FX705DY-EH53
If you are on the hunt for a 17” Ryzen laptop, then the ASUS TUF FX705DY-EH53 computer can fit the bill and how.
An AMD Ryzen 5 3550H CPU drives this powerhouse, supported by 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.
The visuals are taken care of by AMD Radeon RX560X graphics, complemented by an FHD monitor with IPS and a screen-to-body ratio of 79%. In the auditory department, this notebook secures triumphs with the DTS Headphone: X technology. You can enjoy 7.1-channel virtual surround-sound (high-fidelity).
This 6lbs laptop is also incredibly stylish to use, featuring a red-backlit keyboard and a profile that measures about 1.02”.
It is astonishingly durable also, equipped with the anti-dust technology for heat dissipation and the MIL-STD-810 military standard for construction. The keyboard, too, is torture-tested for 20-million keystrokes.
10. ASUS Vivobook 17 F712FA
It is fueled by an Intel Core i5-8265U processor, 8GB RAM, and combination storage of 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.
The HD+ monitor, with its resolution of 1600 x 900, creates an engaging viewing experience. Since ASUS employs a narrow-bezel design for this computer, you can enjoy a screen-to-body ratio as high as 85%.
Bonus: The quick-charging battery can power up to 60% in only 49 minutes. This, combined with the lightweight build (5.07lbs, 0.8”) and the one-year accidental damage protection, makes for a pleasantly portable device.
- Best 16 Inch Laptop
- 10 Best 15 Inch Laptops
- 10 Best 14 Inch Laptops
- 10 Best 13 Inch Laptops
- 10 Best 11 Inch Laptops
So, Ready to Bring Home a 17 Inch Behemoth?
We hope you found the 17-inch laptop of your dreams in our comprehensive list.
These machines are increasingly getting more adept at fulfilling a wide spectrum of needs, and you are likely to find something after your own heart, whether you crave a performance edge for work assignments or triumphs on the gaming arena.
For instance, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701 (#2) is an ideal choice for gaming enthusiasts who long for an immersive display and minimal tearing or lags during gameplay.
The ASUS Vivobook 17 F712FA (#1), on the other hand, is well-suited to budget-watchers who wish to achieve equilibrium between cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
While setting out to purchase a 17-inch laptop, remember that you will be making some compromises in mobility, battery life, and overall convenience of transport.
Assess your lifestyle, and see if you would be better off with a juggernaut that does not stop at anything but needs effort to be lugged along, or a nimbler and niftier computer that is lower on brute force.
With a 17-inch laptop, the reassurances are several; the speeds, flexibility of use, and the semblance of a desktop-like work environment are sure to be unparalleled.