10 Best 14 Inch Laptops 2019
If there is one aspect of design that computer manufacturers have really experimented with, it is size. From mammoth computers that took up an entire room to store to tiny, lithe machines that can fit into backpacks, computers have truly transformed with time.
Not only are these machines leaner and meaner but they are also built on the intuitive utility of a mid-sized form factor.
Today, many top computer makers have launched 14-inch models for their popular product line-ups.
Brands like Acer, ASUS, MSI and Lenovo have perfectly competent offerings that can fuel up your life, complete day to day tasks, as well as fire up your imagination with gaming, multimedia creation and editing.
At the face of it, these midsized laptops seem to be a good balance for those who find 15-inch computers too big and 13-inch computers way too tiny.
But how powerful, really, is a midsized laptop? Does it genuinely achieve a golden mean between its edgier counterparts or boil down to being an average, flash in the pan innovation that doesn’t deliver on its promise?
In this exhaustive review of the top 14-inch laptops of the present times, we discuss the merits of these machines and how far they optimize their unique form factor.
We also discuss the considerations you must keep in mind while purchasing a 14-inch laptop as well as enlist the front-runners in the race.
With changing times, laptops have also evolved constantly. While large screens used to dominate the space at a time, the marketplace now abounds in computers with 15.6”, 14”, and 13” monitors. The smaller screen size directly improves portability, making the computer better suited to the grind of daily life.
Today, 14” laptops are trendy, even though some maintain that they rank behind their 15.6” cousins. But if you travel often and your day involves considerable working on the go, you should be able to derive a lot from a 14” form factor.
This is largely why you can find these notebooks all around you—from office spaces to cafes, from college campuses to hostel rooms. Manufacturers have started creating them in different designs and models too, such as convertibles and 2-in-1 laptops.
Choosing a laptop can be a complicated decision. There are multiple aspects to consider, from the screen size and the processing configuration to the display and the acoustics. In this article, we attempt to drill deep down into the world of 14” laptops and enlist some of the very best ones to choose from.
- Why Get a 14-inch Laptop over a 13-inch or 15-inch One
- Six Things in Any 14-inch Laptop Worth its Salt
- Buying a 14 Inch Laptop: Pros and Cons
- Market Overview: 14″ Laptop Brands to Choose From
- What to Expect in a 14” Laptop
- Our Picks: 10 Best 14 Inch Laptops of 2019
- 1. ASUS ZenBook 14 UX431FA-ES74 – Best Budget 14 Inch Laptop Under $1000
- 2. Lenovo Flex 14 – Best 14 Inch 2-in-1 Laptop
- 3. Lenovo Flex 14 – Best 14 Inch AMD Ryzen Laptop
- 4. ASUS ZenBook 14 UX434FLC – Best Smallest 14 Inch Laptop
- 5. LG Gram 14Z990 – Best Thin and Light 14 Inch Laptop
- 6. MSI Modern 14 A10RB-459 – Best 14 inch Laptop with Dedicated Graphics
- 7. ASUS Chromebook Flip C434TA-DSM4T – Best 14 Inch Laptop Under $500 – $600
- 8. Lenovo Ideapad S940 – Best Lenovo 14 Inch Laptop
- 9. Acer Swift 3 SF314-55G-78U1 – Best Acer 14-inch Laptop
- 10. Dell Inspiron i5482-7069SLV-PUS – Best 14 Inch Dell Laptop Under $700
- Bonus: HP Stream 14-ds0040nr – Best 14 Inch Laptop Under $300
- The Long and Short of It
Why Get a 14-inch Laptop over a 13-inch or 15-inch One
Have you been using a 13-inch laptop? You have probably fallen head over heels with the compact construction of your device and its effortless portability.
Likewise, if you have been working on a 15-inch laptop, you are unlikely to feel satisfied with anything that delivers a less enchanting display, specs as powerful, and usage as ergonomic.
But this is where a 14-inch laptop successfully combines the best of both worlds and provides an experience that suits contemporary lifestyles to a T.
It has adequate power and a reasonably-sized display without being unwieldy; indeed, many 14-inchers have NVIDIA GPUs and Intel i7 processors.
A standout reason to opt for a 14-inch laptop is its gaming excellence. If you are a gamer, a 13-inch laptop might not satisfy you.
The market doesn’t yet abound in 13-inch gaming laptops, so you will be hard pressed to find one with competent specs, long-lasting battery, and high-quality display.
A 15-inch laptop will deliver on all these counts, but it will also cost you a great deal more while being bulkier. Many 14-inch laptops manage to offer a pleasant gaming experience.
Another triumph of the 14-inch form factor is a comfortable keyboard that is easy to type on, even for long typing tasks. Some people find that 13-inch laptops have cramped keyboards that offer very little space to rest your fingers.
On the other hand, many 15-inch laptops offer keyboards with small and loosely spaced keys. A 14-inch laptop achieves a balance with an intelligent design that is convenient especially for those who type away for hours on end.
Six Things in Any 14-inch Laptop Worth its Salt
If you have chosen to opt for a 14-inch laptop, do ensure you purchase one that offers well-rounded performance in both processing and display.
The USP of a 14-inch laptop is the manner in which it blends the brilliance of its larger cousin (15”) with the mobility of its smaller sibling (13”).
So, be careful when you shell out money for a 14-inch laptop (with luck, you should find a good deal in the range of $800–$1200).
Here are six things you must definitely seek in a quality 14-inch laptop:
- High-speed processing delivered through an Intel Core i5 processor or above, complemented by at least 8GB RAM and 256GB of storage space.
- Superior graphics delivered through integrated Intel graphics or, if you desire exceptional imagery, a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card.
- Long-lasting battery life of at least 8–10 hours to guarantee that your laptop is portable and doesn’t have you hunting for charging stations for the greater part of the day.
- An FHD (Full High Definition) display (or above), preferably with support for In-Plane Switching (IPS). Some laptops also offer an anti-glare screen, a wide viewing angle, and high refresh rates.
- A lightweight build in the range of 2.2–3.5lbs and thickness of 0.5–0.7” so that you can easily lug your laptop along with you.
- An easy-to-use keyboard with a key-travel distance that isn’t harsh on your fingers and convenient spacing of keys for typing speed and comfort (Read: 10 best laptop with backlit keyboard).
Buying a 14 Inch Laptop: Pros and Cons
So, will a 14” notebook be the right fit for your lifestyle? Here is a quick list of the pros and cons you can expect from this range of laptops. It will help you make a considered decision.
- This screen size makes for a portable laptop. A 14” monitor is easy to work on even when you are on the go, traveling in public transport, or working in cramped spaces like an airplane seat.
- Build-wise too, most 14” laptops are lightweight and slim. You can carry them around with you in backpacks without the risk of developing a backache. Their light build makes them good traveling companions.
- The 14” size is a good middle ground between a large, 17” laptop and a 15.6” laptop, which, in recent times, has also become popular. You might find these laptops even more portable than their 15.6” cousins without cutting too many corners in terms of performance.
- In terms of industrial design, 14” laptops can be exemplary. They need to maximize the (limited) space available to them—a task they manage in style. Some users feel that the keyboard, in particular, fits better in a 14” chassis. You will find that the empty space on either side is minimal. This makes the construction space-efficient and also contributes to a better typing experience.
- If you want a larger screen size in this model, even that is virtually possible with HDMI- and display ports. All you need to do is connect to an external display for a larger-than-life experience. This is useful to screen presentations, project movies to an audience, etc. You are effectively viewing things on a large canvas without actually having to lug around a larger laptop.
- With many 14” laptops, you can get a screen that has an optimal resolution of 1920 x 1080. This is usually ample for content in various formats. So, although you do not have a 15.6” screen, you can still enjoy the same resolution you would have on a bigger notebook.
- Some users feel that a 14” screen is too small for comfort. If you use your laptop a lot, especially for coding, writing, etc., a small screen might make you develop a headache or eye strain.
- For lovers of portability, a 15.6” laptop can be a great option as well. It offers a larger screen while maintaining a lightweight chassis that is, in many cases, as light as many 14” laptops.
- If you are watching your budget, you might be surprised to find that several 14” laptops are expensive—even more so than their 15.6” peers.
- Not many line-ups of 14” laptops exist in the marketplace today. Most manufacturers have brought out a series or two. Consequently, it is rare to find a 14” laptop that meets your needs as compared to one in a bigger screen size.
- Ultimately, your decision will directly depend on your priority. Do you value portability the most? Is a small screen size suitable for your standard computing needs? If so, you are likely to enjoy working on a 14” computer.
Market Overview: 14″ Laptop Brands to Choose From
As the demand for portable computing has risen, more and more computer makers have jumped onto the bandwagon. You can find several brands with interesting line-ups of 15” and 14” laptops.
Indeed, many have also come up with 11” and 13” laptops—hyper-mobile notebooks intended for fast-paced lifestyles. This competitive dynamic bodes brilliantly for consumers as they get several options to choose from.
You can find budget-friendly picks starting as cheap as under $300. You can also purchase 14” laptops tailored to multimedia needs such as editing, content creation, and streaming.
Most top manufacturers now have stakes in the 14” marketplace. Among the leading brands are Acer, Asus, HP, Huawei, Lenovo, and MSI. Here are a few highlights to give you an overview of your options:
- Asus: This brand has a clear edge when it comes to portable computing. You can find lightweight, sleek laptops that nonetheless offer cutting-edge features like screenpads, dedicated numeric keypads, and ergonomic hinges.
- MSI: If you plan to use your laptop for creative pursuits like film-making and photo editing, MSI has excellent options for you. Many 14” laptops from the MSI stables offer dedicated graphics, brilliant colors, and an engaging visual experience.
- HP: HP will appeal to the cost-conscious crowd that also wants to maximize performance, responsiveness and durability. You can easily find cheap 14” HP laptops that are incredibly responsive, portable, and have long-lasting batteries.
- Huawei: If you want a high-performing, all-rounder 14” laptop, Huawei can serve you well. Its MateBook line-up offers competent processing, immersive displays, good sound output, and long battery life. You can even enjoy dedicated graphics and security features like fingerprint-based login.
- Lenovo: Smart design, flexibility of usage, and a host of innovative features set Lenovo 14” laptops apart. The convertible design is particularly useful, letting you use the laptop as a tablet, full workstation, entertainment portal, etc. Lenovo has also invested in good-quality sound. Dolby Atmos helps deliver an enthralling auditory experience even in compact 14” computers.
What to Expect in a 14” Laptop
The 14” size has become incredibly popular with many audiences today for the deft manner in which it combines portability with functionality. If you have decided to venture out and bring home one of these notebooks, here is a ready list of the configuration and other features you should seek.
- The processing compartment: Most laptops in this space offer upwards of an Intel Core i5 processor supported by at least 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage. More powerful machines employ an Intel Core i7 CPU with 8GB RAM and SSD storage to the tune of 512GB. The advantage of getting an SSD is improved read/write speed along with a lower rate of wear and tear.
You can find computers with equivalent AMD processors; they will come in cheaper than their Intel counterparts. The primary consideration is to seek a CPU that can efficiently handle your daily computing activities.
So, if your usage is CPU-draining—for example, wireless streaming or multitasking on spreadsheets—you will have to invest in a meatier processing compartment.
- Display and graphics: You can easily find 14” laptops with FHD screens, support for IPS, and an optimal screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. On the budget end of the spectrum are laptops with HD monitors and a screen resolution of 1366 x 768.
If you get a computer with a narrow bezel, you can effectively maximize the available screen real estate. This lets you work, watch videos, etc., in a highly compelling experience.
In fact, some laptops have a screen-to-body ratio as high as 92%! This dispels all fears about a 14” screen being too small for comfort.
Also, depending on your budget and requirements, you can choose between integrated and dedicated graphics.
If you need to engage in activities like multimedia editing or content creation, you stand to benefit from a dedicated graphics processor like NVIDIA GeForce MX250.
Note: Not many 14” laptops offer dedicated graphics. You will also need to account for a higher budget if you do opt for a GPU.
Another choice you need to make pertains to touch. For portable laptops and those that allow multi-mode use (tablets), a touch display can come in handy. You typically don’t need a touchscreen if you plan to use the laptop as a stationary workstation.
- The sound chamber: While 14” laptops are high on mobility, many of them manage to deliver good sound. If audio quality is high up on your list, look for Dolby Atmos sound, large speakers, and spacious resonant chambers. Some laptops utilize a hinge-based design which also enhances the sound output, besides easing the heat dissipation and improving your typing comfort.
- Battery backup: Reasonably long unplugged usage is important for a 14” laptop since portability is one of its main draws. Look for battery backup of eight hours and above. You can even find notebooks that offer 15 hours of power on a single charge. If you get a quick-charging battery, you can work freely from anywhere, powering up whenever you get the chance.
- Build and construction: Lightweight but sturdy is the way to go here. A standard 14” laptop weighs about 2–4lbs, which is easy to carry around with you. Also, check that the profile is thin enough to slide into backpacks. If you are a frequent traveler, you can also get military-standard construction for extra durability during traveling.
- Security: This is a direct offset of portability and working in shared environments. For your 14” device to be secure and keep your data confidential, you need a dependable security provision such as HP’s Bios. Some laptops come with a fingerprint reader that allows password-free login. The added biometric security makes a great deal of a difference when you are working in a collaborative setting like a shared office.
The above is the bare minimum you should seek in a standard 14” laptop. Besides these features, you should also look for ample device support and connectivity options such as USB ports, HDMI ports, and Wi-Fi compatibility.
A well-built keyboard is yet another deal-maker, especially if you are a programmer, writer, etc., who makes extensive use of those buttons all day long.
Some 14” computers offer keyboards with dedicated numeric keypads. These are useful for anyone who frequently inputs numbers for data entry, mathematical computation, and associated activities.
Our Picks: 10 Best 14 Inch Laptops of 2019
From ASUS to HP, Lenovo to MSI, the world of 14” laptops now has several players. We have consolidated the finest for you, spanning budgets and configurations. Whether you require a computing partner for home or business, creative endeavors or entertainment, the chances are that there will be something on this list that fits right in.
These 14-inch machines claim to be just right for students, professionals, travelers, and gamer. They are also available in budgets that are more affordable than lofty.
1. ASUS ZenBook 14 UX431FA-ES74 – Best Budget 14 Inch Laptop Under $1000
The ASUS ZenBook 14 UX431FA-ES74 comes with a nano-edge design (0.25” bezel) that delivers a 14” laptop in the body of a standard 13” one.
This helps maximize the screen area so much that you get a screen-to-body ratio of almost 86%! The color gamut on offer is 100% sRGB to ensure accurate rendition of colors and details.
If absorbing A/V experiences are at the top of your priority list, this laptop can be your soulmate.
Another great plus of this device is its ergo-lift hinge that elevates the keyboard to a typing position that suits you best.
This makes long hours at work much more comfortable. Interestingly, the hinge not only makes things more flexible, but it also improves the auditory performance (Harman Kardon) of the machine.
It benefits the heat dissipation mechanism too, which ensures that you can enjoy sustainable operation for longer hours.
Powering this laptop is an Intel Core i7-8565U CPU, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD. The overall processing setup proves to be capable of fulfilling everyday pursuits with ease, especially considering the affordable price point of this machine (under $900).
The battery life of up to ten hours also adds to its power, especially when you are traveling or don’t have the time to wait for your computing companion to charge up.
What about the portability? ZenBooks have always traveled well, and this one is no different.
At 3.2lbs and 0.65”, it is straightforward to carry this machine with you through your day. The utopia-blue color and silver panels grant it a sophisticated, timeless look that is also highly durable (MIL-STD-810G or military standards).
|ASUS ZenBook 14 UX431FA-ES74 Specs|
|Processor||Intel Core i7-8565U up to 4.6GHz|
|Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 620|
|Memory||8GB LPDDR3 RAM|
|Storage||512GB NVMe PCIe SSD|
|Display||14-inch FHD Nano Edge display|
|Battery Life||Up to 10 hours|
|Price||Check on Amazon|
2. Lenovo Flex 14 – Best 14 Inch 2-in-1 Laptop
This is an excellent all-rounder machine, with the speed and efficiency of an Intel Core i7-10510U CPU, 16GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD meeting the comfort of a 10-point touchscreen.
You can enjoy an FHD display (1920 x 1080) that is responsive (the pen is sold separately) and bright (250 nits).
The battery lasts for up to 8 hours, quick charging to 80% in one hour. This means you can easily lug along this portable computer (3.63lbs, 0.7”) on your day.
Note that you will miss out on dedicated graphics since this laptop uses Intel UHD Graphics. It does, however, come with Dolby Audio.
Bonus: Lenovo has equipped this laptop with a thoughtful privacy shutter for the webcam. There’s also a fingerprint reader for added security.
3. Lenovo Flex 14 – Best 14 Inch AMD Ryzen Laptop
Highlight: If an AMD device is what you have been looking for in the 14” space, then the Lenovo Flex 14 2-in-1 convertible laptop can be an excellent choice.
It comes with a touchscreen display that lets you use a stylus to interact with the display according to your needs (read note-taking, doodling, the works).
The active pen is included with the purchase, so you don’t need to incur additional expenditure to avail of this provision.
This convertible comes with an FHD screen with a full resolution of 1920 x 1080. The graphics support is for Radeon Vega 8 Graphics.
The snazziest part about the display is that it adapts to the situation excellently. So, while the laptop mode is best-suited for day-to-day computing, you can switch to the stand mode for watching A/V content and the tent mode for sharing things with peers and colleagues.
Driving this laptop is an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U CPU, supported by 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.
The AMD processor is quite adept at multitasking; it also supports endeavors such as multimedia editing.
The commitment to security on this device is admirable. It offers a fingerprint reader for touch-based security, which comes in handy in shared working spaces.
We particularly love the webcam privacy shutter (TrueBlock). It lets you physically close the webcam when it is not in use. No more fear of your boss catching you watching Netflix in your PJs when you are supposed to be working from home!
What about mobility and device support? Well, at 3.52lbs and 0.7”, the portability quotient is quite high.
And since this laptop has inbuilt USB-C ports, USB 3.1 ports as well as an HDMI, you can connect to devices or external displays in a snap.
|Lenovo Flex 14 AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Specs|
|Processor||AMD Ryzen 5 3500U|
|Graphics||AMD Radeon Vega 8|
|Memory||8GB DDR4 RAM|
|Storage||256GB NVMe SSD|
|Display||14 Inch FHD (1920 X 1080) Touch|
|Battery Life||Up to 8 Hours|
|Operating System||Windows 10|
4. ASUS ZenBook 14 UX434FLC – Best Smallest 14 Inch Laptop
This high-performer is fueled by a powerful Intel Core i7-10510U processor, 16GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, and NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics.
The FHD monitor follows a narrow-bezel design to realize a screen-to-body ratio as high as 92%. But the innovative “screenpad” takes the cake with its intuitive understanding of your multitasking needs.
For instance, you can switch between apps, use handwriting to take notes, or convert the screen to a numeric keypad. We also love the hinge-based construction of this laptop that facilitates better cooling, audio and typing.
5. LG Gram 14Z990 – Best Thin and Light 14 Inch Laptop
The LG Gram 14Z990 boasts of phenomenal battery backup—almost an entire day—and the kind of flexibility this lends to you is enviable.
You can use this 14” laptop outdoors or on public transport without fretting about being close to a power station.
Driven by an eighth-gen Intel Core i5-8265U processor, 8GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD, this laptop is well-suited to day to day pursuits such as working on office/school assignments, checking your e-mail, or streaming wireless content.
The operating system is Windows Home 10, which makes it easier to multitask.
The display of this 14” laptop does not let you down. Even though it supports integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 620), you do get an FHD screen with In-Plane Switching (IPS).
The IPS panel lets you view the proceedings from a viewing angle of your choice. Also, since the bezel is ultra-thin, the external disturbance is minimal.
You will be able to enjoy an immersive multimedia experience without struggling with reflections, distortions and the like. The screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 is optimal for content in various formats.
In the looks department, this white laptop is quite pleasing to behold. It has a metal-alloy body that lends it both sturdiness and flexibility.
This is also an extremely lightweight device, weighing only 2.2lbs, which makes it a breeze to carry with you. The profile is super lean at only 0.6”; slipping this laptop into backpacks is a cakewalk.
Upping the mobility further is a backlit keyboard that enables you to work even when the lighting is insufficient.
|LG Gram 14Z990-U.AAW5U1 Specs|
|Processor||Intel Core i5-8265U CPU|
|Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 620|
|Display||14-inch Full HD IPS|
|Battery Life||Up to 23.5 hours|
|Price||Check on Amazon|
6. MSI Modern 14 A10RB-459 – Best 14 inch Laptop with Dedicated Graphics
This laptop is fueled by an Intel Core i5-10210U processor, 8GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, and NVIDIA MX250 graphics.
The FHD monitor has an optimal screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, support for IPS, and a color gamut of 72% NTSC. Thanks to True Color technology, you can experience different usage modes suited to the need of the hour. This makes projects like multimedia editing much smoother.
Bonus: This MSI laptop boasts of several hours of unplugged usage—up to 10! Since it is also lightweight and thin (2.62lbs, 0.6”), you can comfortably take it with you on travels, meetings, etc.
7. ASUS Chromebook Flip C434TA-DSM4T – Best 14 Inch Laptop Under $500 – $600
Its biggest draw is perhaps a glorious nano-edge display that employs a thin bezel design (5mm or 0.19”) to expand the available screen space for your content.
ASUS claims that this lets the 14” display fit into the chassis of a 13” machine. This Chromebook also utilizes a hinge-based design (360-degree) to allow you to switch to the mode of operation that suits the situation best.
You can easily alternate between tent, tablet and stand modes.
On the processing front, this Chromebook is pretty basic: an Intel Core M3-8100Y CPU, 4GB RAM, and 64GB of storage space (eMMC).
Understandably, this will be adequate for regular activities but not so much for processor-intensive pursuits.
But then again, the Chromebook perseveres to simplify your life by bringing you a world of apps and the power of Chrome OS. The operating system updates automatically and offers anti-virus protection besides being super responsive.
The battery lasts for a good ten hours, depending on your usage. These are contemporary traits well aligned with the demands of modern living and computing.
To its merit, this Chromebook manages to look quite good. It has an FHD display and a lightweight, lean aluminum body (3lbs, 0.6”).
The diamond-cut anodized edges are the cherry on the cake, adding both elegance and sophistication.
The 100% sRGB color gamut ensures that colors are rendered correctly, while the wide viewing angle (178-degree) enhances your overall A/V experience.
Although this is a budget device, it also has a backlit keyboard to enable you to work in all kinds of environments.
|ASUS Chromebook Flip C434TA-DSM4T|
|Processor||Intel Core M3-8100Y (Up to 3.4 GHz)|
|Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 615|
|Memory||4GB LPDDR3 RAM|
|Display||14-inch touchscreen FHD 1920x1080|
|Battery Life||Up to 10 hours|
|Price||Check on Amazon|
8. Lenovo Ideapad S940 – Best Lenovo 14 Inch Laptop
Driving this notebook is an Intel Core i7-8565U processor, 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, and up to 15 hours of battery life. On the display front, you get an FHD monitor with support for IPS.
What also works for this computer is its premium aluminum design and lightweight, sleek profile. Despite its multitude of features and stellar sound (Dolby Atmos Speaker System), it weighs only 2.64lbs and is 1.2” thin. Say hello to portability!
9. Acer Swift 3 SF314-55G-78U1 – Best Acer 14-inch Laptop
Stylish 14-inch computer with NVIDIA graphics
The second Acer laptop on our list is eager to please, and please it does.
The Acer Swift 3 SF314-55G-78U1 is fueled by an Intel i7 processor, well supported by 8GB RAM and 256GB of SSD storage.
But it also possesses an NVIDIA GeForce MX150 graphics card that makes all the difference.
The high-quality GPU has 2GB of dedicated memory that helps it render imagery effectively, elevating all experiences ranging from regular multimedia to some amount of gaming.
Fortunately, the visual dazzle does not take anything away from the portability of this computer.
It has a battery bank of 12 hours, adequate USB ports to let you connect to devices and peripherals, 802.11ac Wi-Fi to connect to the internet, and support for Bluetooth 5.0 for data sharing.
It also features a backlit keyboard to let you work in all sorts of ambient lighting as well as the provision to let you log in using your fingerprint (via Windows Hello).
An eye-catching design has always been a serious commitment for Acer, and that legacy has not changed. This laptop has a sleek metal body built of aluminum; the profile is only 0.59” thick, and the body weighs 2.98lbs.
You can effectively carry your laptop anywhere as it fits in easily into bags and purses. The display complements the fashionable design well, offering an FHD screen with the Acer Color Intelligence technology for vivid and bright imagery.
A noteworthy add-on of this machine is the HD camera with Super HDR technology. If you frequently need to communicate with colleagues or family members, you will find the camera effective at delivering sharp video even when the surroundings are too dark or too bright.
|Acer Swift 3 SF314-55G-78U1 Specs|
|Processor||Intel Core i7-8565U|
|Graphics||2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX150|
|Display||14 Incj FHD (1920 x 1080)|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Home|
|Battery Life||Up to 12 Hours|
|Price||Check on Amazon|
10. Dell Inspiron i5482-7069SLV-PUS – Best 14 Inch Dell Laptop Under $700
Flexible 14-inch laptop with multiple usage modes
How do you define Dell? It is a classic combination of power with cost-effectiveness, the newest trends with steady dependability.
With the Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 (i5482-7069SLV-PUS) laptop, quintessential Dell comes to the forefront, creating a smooth and useful experience for various kinds of audiences.
This 14-inch machine is driven by an Intel i7 processor, 8GB RAM, and 256GB of memory. It offers an FHD display with an IPS panel and touch.
Build-wise, this computer is on the heavier side—it weighs 3.88lbs and has a profile measuring 0.8”. This can be a downside if you want to acquire a feather-light laptop (like a few others on this list).
An interesting design win that Dell manages to achieve is multiple modes of usage. You can, of course, use the laptop mode for regular work and the tablet mode for functioning on the go (with the active stylus).
But this machine also has another mode tailored to entertainment and gaming—the media or tent mode. You can sit back and comfortably watch your favorite shows.
There is no need to compromise with a set position or plethora of well, distractions, that a full-purpose laptop inherently has.
Let us dwell for a while on the look and feel of this device. We, for one, adore the brushed aluminum finishing (urban gray) and the diamond-cut finish (on the power button and click pad).
The palm rest also has a brushed aluminum finish that adds texture and personality to the laptop, besides adding to your comfort.
|Dell Inspiron i5482-7069SLV-PUS Specs|
|Processor||8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565U|
|Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 620|
|Display||14-Inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS|
|Memory||8GB 2666MHz DDR4|
|Storage||256GB M.2 SSD|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Home|
|Price||Check on Amazon|
Bonus: HP Stream 14-ds0040nr – Best 14 Inch Laptop Under $300
It has a basic configuration: an AMD A4-9120E CPU, 4GB RAM, and 64GB of storage. The HD SVA display offers a screen resolution of 1366 x 768.
The operating system is Windows 10 Home in S Mode, which also comes with Office 365 Personal (for one year). While this may sound like a skeletal configuration, it should suffice for everyday tasks like keeping up with your e-mail and taking notes during meetings.
Since the battery lasts for about 8 hours and 15 minutes, this laptop is also a reliable travel companion.
Bonus: HP has equipped this 4.15lbs device with Bios recovery and protection to keep it protected against potential security issues.
- 10 Best 13 Inch Laptops 2019
- 10 Best 15 Inch Laptops 2019
- 10 Best 11 Inch Laptops 2019
- Best Laptops 2019 (Top 10 Picks)
- Best Gaming Laptops 2019 (Top 10 Picks)
- 20 Best Laptops for College Students 2019
The Long and Short of It
With changing times, designs and specifications of computing devices may vary. But one thing that eternally remains essential is the comfort of usage.
A 14-inch laptop has emerged as a candidate deserving of the attention of the millennial, particularly for the way it optimizes performance and design.
Not only do you get a machine that is mighty enough to cater to everyday pursuits as well as demanding endeavors, but the device is also free of the challenges of limited space, cramped peripherals, and sub-par display and graphics.
Moreover, these devices have proved to possess a knack for adaptability; you can find a pick that doubles up as a gaming companion, a binge-watch specialist, a school-assignment expert, or a work-commitment champion.
As 14-inch laptops become popular, other computer manufacturers are expected to announce their offerings in this space.
Until then, you would be safe with one of the laptops on this list since all of them come from well-established families with a long history of manufacturing dependable yet modern laptops.
Pick one according to the priority closest to your heart—budget, battery life, processing power, lightweight design, customized requirements, you name it.