If there is one aspect of design that computer manufacturers have really experimented with, it is size. From mammoth computers that took up an entire room to store to tiny, lithe machines that can fit into backpacks, computers have truly transformed with time.
Not only are these machines leaner and meaner but they are also built on the intuitive utility of a mid-sized form factor.
Today, many top computer makers have launched 14-inch models for their popular product line-ups.
Brands like Acer, ASUS, MSI and Lenovo have perfectly competent offerings that can fuel up your life, complete day to day tasks, as well as fire up your imagination with gaming, multimedia creation and editing.
At the face of it, these mid-sized laptops seem to be a good balance for those who find 15-inch computers too big and 13-inch computers way too tiny.
But how powerful, really, is a mid-sized laptop? Does it genuinely achieve a golden mean between its edgier counterparts or boil down to being an average, flash in the pan innovation that doesn’t deliver on its promise?
In this exhaustive review of the top 14-inch laptops of the present times, we discuss the merits of these machines and how far they optimize their unique form factor.
We also discuss the considerations you must keep in mind while purchasing a 14-inch laptop as well as enlist the front-runners in the race.
With changing times, laptops have also evolved constantly. While large screens used to dominate the space at a time, the marketplace now abounds in computers with 15.6”, 14”, and 13” monitors. The smaller screen size directly improves portability, making the computer better suited to the grind of daily life.
Today, 14” laptops are trendy, even though some maintain that they rank behind their 15.6” cousins. But if you travel often and your day involves considerable working on the go, you should be able to derive a lot from a 14” form factor.
This is largely why you can find these notebooks all around you—from office spaces to cafes, from college campuses to hostel rooms. Manufacturers have started creating them in different designs and models too, such as convertibles and 2-in-1 laptops.
Choosing a laptop can be a complicated decision. There are multiple aspects to consider, from the screen size and the processing configuration to the display and the acoustics. In this article, we attempt to drill deep down into the world of 14” laptops and enlist some of the very best ones to choose from.
- Our Picks: 10 Best 14 Inch Laptops 2021
- 1. Acer Swift 3 SF314-43 14 Inch Laptop
- 2. Razer Blade 14 – Best 14 Inch Gaming Laptop
- 3. ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 (Best Dual-screen)
- 4. Acer Swift X SFX14 14-inch laptop with Dedicated Graphics
- 5. Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio
- 6. Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 2-in-1 14-inch Laptop
- 7. ASUS ZenBook 14 UX435EG Ultra-Slim Laptop
- 8. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 (14-inch)
- 9. LG Gram 14Z90P lightest 14-inch Laptop
- 10. Acer Swift 5 (Lightweight & Powerful)
- Why Get a 14-inch Laptop over a 13-inch or 15-inch One
- Six Things in Any 14-inch Laptop Worth its Salt
- Market Overview: 14″ Laptop Brands to Choose From
- What to Expect in a 14” Laptop
- The Long and Short of It
Our Picks: 10 Best 14 Inch Laptops 2021
Whether you require a computing partner for home or business, creative endeavors or entertainment, the chances are that there will be something on this list that fits right in.
Best 14 Inch Laptop – Recommended Specs
|Processor||Intel Core i7-1165G7 (up to 4.7GHz)|
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U (up to 4.3GHz)
|Graphics||Intel Iris Xe Graphics|
AMD Radeon Graphics
|Memory||16GB LPDDR4X RAM|
|Storage||512GB NVMe SSD|
|Display||14″ Full HD (1920 x 1080)|
Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
|Weight||Under 4 lbs.|
|Battery||Up to 15 Hours|
|OS||Windows 10 Home|
These 14-inch laptops claim to be just right for students, professionals, travelers, and gamer. They are also available in budgets that are more affordable than lofty.
1. Acer Swift 3 SF314-43 14 Inch Laptop
In a world where everyone is constantly on a move and need a good portable and mobile workstation for themselves, the 14” laptops often serve the purpose right.
The Acer Swift 3 SF314-43 is hands down one of the best available options that you can come across when it comes to that category of device.
It looks stunning and elegant and comes with all the durability tests done to ensure long lasting finish without any further compromise.
As for the processors, it comes with the AMD Ryzen 7 5700U processor with 8 cores for effortless user experience. It is also programmed with the Radeon Graphics that further ensure crisp visuals and optimum color saturation.
The main limelight of the device is the 14” FHD widescreen IPS LED-backlit 100% sRGB display with a screen resolution of 1080p. Coming round to the storage and memory options, it is equipped with 512GB SSD along with 8GB RAM for smoother user experience.
It is also one of the thinnest and lightweight devices on the market, weighing 2.65 lbs and supports a battery life of 12.5 hours, which again is pretty amazing, for a device of this calibre.
2. Razer Blade 14 – Best 14 Inch Gaming Laptop
The Razer Blade 14 sure has style! With its almost frameless design—thanks to the thin bezel. The screen comes with 100% DCI-P3 color space on QHD model.
If you long for a laptop whose display is truly worth diving into, you might have just found your match. Did we mention this device has NVIDIA graphics?
Apart from the charming display, this computer also wins hearts with its latest AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU that fulfills even intensive tasks like a pro. The RAM support is for 16GB while the storage on offer is 1TB SSD.
Although this 14-inch gaming laptop is choc-a-bloc with fancy features, it does not lose out on mobility. Weight-wise, it packs in 3.92lbs. You can lug it along in style; your shoulders won’t mind the load.
3. ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 (Best Dual-screen)
If there is one hi-tech device with the 14” dual screen, the ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 is hands down the one that you just can’t do without.
The combination of the 14” full HD nanoedge display with a glossy finish is the main device.
The second display with 12.6” matte touchscreen helps with easier multitasking experience by extending the screen without any hassle at all.
Next up on the configuration of the device is the 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor along with Intel Iris Xe GPU for an improved user experience. It lets you tackle multiple applications at once without any issues that you will likely face around.
The best thing about this device is likely the fast storage and memory including the 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD along with 8GB RAM for smoother productivity and performance.
The design of this device is not the traditional one and comes with the ErgoLift design that ensures a comfortable typing experience with optimised cooling system.
It also comes with all the necessary connectivity options that ensure faster data transfer and seamless user experience. It does support the USB-C ports, if that is perfect for smoother performance.
4. Acer Swift X SFX14 14-inch laptop with Dedicated Graphics
The second Acer laptop on our list is eager to please, and please it does. The Acer Swift X SFX14-41G is fueled by an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor, well supported by 16GB RAM and 512GB of SSD storage.
But it also possesses an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti GPU that makes all the difference. Fortunately, the visual dazzle does not take anything away from the portability of this computer.
It has a battery bank of 16 hours, adequate USB ports to let you connect to devices and peripherals, WiFi 6 to connect to the internet, and support for Bluetooth 5.0 for data sharing.
It also features a backlit keyboard to let you work in all sorts of ambient lighting as well as the provision to let you log in using your fingerprint (via Windows Hello).
An eye-catching design has always been a serious commitment for Acer, and that legacy has not changed. This laptop has a sleek metal body built of aluminum; the profile is only 0.7” thick, and the body weighs 3.06lbs.
You can effectively carry your laptop anywhere as it fits in easily into bags and purses. The display complements the fashionable design well, offering an FHD screen with the Acer Color Intelligence technology for vivid and bright imagery.
A noteworthy add-on of this machine is the HD camera with Super HDR technology. If you frequently need to communicate with colleagues or family members, you will find the camera effective at delivering sharp video even when the surroundings are too dark or too bright.
Note that the sound system is also tailored for excellence; the Acer PurifiedVoice technology minimizes noise and boosts accuracy.
5. Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio
Owning a compact yet highly functional laptop is bane of everyone’s existence, especially for users who are constantly travelling for work.
This is one of the most powerful Surface laptop powered by the latest 11th Gen Intel Core H Series processors to tackle and handle impending workload without any delays or lags.
The device is further integrated with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti for ray-traced graphics and cutting-edge AI features for the ultimate gaming and content creation.
Push your boundaries with the 14.4” touchscreen display that supports seamless transitions for meeting your requirements of varying user needs.
Besides all that, the combination of 512GB SSD of storage with 16GB RAM makes it an option worth investing in, especially if you want to channel superior performance without worrying about delayed performance. The device runs on Windows 11 Home OS and features a Platinum Silver color.
6. Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 2-in-1 14-inch Laptop
Highlight: If an AMD device is what you have been looking for in the 14” space, then the Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 14-inch 2-in-1 convertible laptop can be an excellent choice.
It comes with a touchscreen display that lets you use a stylus to interact with the display according to your needs (read note-taking, doodling, the works).
The active pen is included with the purchase, so you don’t need to incur additional expenditure to avail of this provision.
This convertible comes with an FHD screen with a full resolution of 1920 x 1080. The graphics support is for Radeon 7 Graphics. The snazziest part about the display is that it adapts to the situation excellently.
So, while the laptop mode is best-suited for day-to-day computing, you can switch to the stand mode for watching A/V content and the tent mode for sharing things with peers and colleagues.
Driving this laptop is an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U CPU, supported by 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. The AMD processor is quite adept at multitasking; it also supports endeavors such as multimedia editing. Bonus: While the battery backup is not exceptional at ten hours, you do get a quick charging option that lets you power up to 80% in only one hour.
The commitment to security on this device is admirable. It offers a fingerprint reader for touch-based security, which comes in handy in shared working spaces.
We particularly love the webcam privacy shutter (TrueBlock). It lets you physically close the webcam when it is not in use. No more fear of your boss catching you watching Netflix in your PJs when you are supposed to be working from home!
What about mobility and device support? Well, at 3.64lbs and 0.8”, the portability quotient is quite high. And since this laptop has inbuilt USB-C ports, USB 3.1 ports as well as an HDMI, you can connect to devices or external displays in a snap.
7. ASUS ZenBook 14 UX435EG Ultra-Slim Laptop
Excellent all-rounder 14-inch laptop
All those who are looking for a slim, portable and powerful 14-inch laptop, say aye!
The ASUS ZenBook 14 UX435EG is a mighty machine equipped with an 11th gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 512GB of SSD storage space, and 14-hour battery life, but like most ZenBooks, it is incredibly easy to use and immensely portable.
Now available in a 14-inch form factor, this machine redefines the mobility game. Not only do you get stellar specs that are ample to complete everyday as well as demanding tasks, but you also have an FHD screen with a nano-edge bezel that makes for compelling viewing.
The thin bezel realizes a screen-to-body ratio of 92%. At only 2.58lbs and 0.6”, this is THE machine to opt for if you seek an all-rounder laptop that travels beautifully.
This ZenBook is built as per the newest hinge-based design that many ASUS computers now follow. The ergonomic hinge helps you type more comfortably; it also improves the auditory performance and the effectiveness of cooling of your device.
Although ASUS has made this ZenBook remarkably portable, the sturdiness of the design remains intact. The chassis is both stylish and durable with military-standard specifications (MIL-STD 810G).
Facilitating the accessibility of this laptop is a user-friendly keyboard with a dual-function touchpad. The touchpad has a switchable numeric keypad that simplifies data entry, which means you will no longer have problems keying in numbers or crunching digits just because you are working on a compact computer.
Note that this laptop offers abundant options for connectivity and collaboration. You get USB ports (Type C), 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, and a micro SD card reader. This makes it straightforward to use the laptop for both personal and professional needs.
8. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 (14-inch)
For the business professionals out there looking for the best laptop for their everyday need, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 (14-inch) is one of the best ones around.
The rugged look with the all-black interior and exterior makes this device a standout among all the available options. It is also quite lightweight, ensuring that you wouldn’t have to compromise on the device’s portability.
The device supports up to 14” UHD 4K display has a screen resolution of 1920×1080 pixels. It is powered by the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor with vPro for smoother and unmatched performance beyond your imagination.
In case you are wondering how good the storage and memory options are, it is programmed with up to 1TB SSD for storage along with 16GB RAM for memory options. It runs on up to Windows 10 Pro operating system.
9. LG Gram 14Z90P lightest 14-inch Laptop
Even with such a wide range of laptop availability in the market, the one thing that everyone struggles with is the portability and working while on the go.
The LG Gram 14Z90P makes that possible, all thanks to its lightweight and modern design.
Even with a little over the top price range of the device, it manages to bring you everything that you need in a lightweight yet highly functional laptop.
The device is equipped with a 14” WUXGA IPS LCD display with 1200p screen resolution.
It is powered by the latest 11th generation intel core i7-1165g7 processor and is approved by the Intel Evo platform for a multi-functional device.
The device is integrated with 512GB SSD for faster storage and data transfer and 8GB RAM for superior multitasking experience. The Intel Iris Xe graphics ensure superior graphics.
10. Acer Swift 5 (Lightweight & Powerful)
Lightweight 14” laptop with brilliant multimedia support
Giving ASUS bitter competition in the territory of portable laptops is Acer with its new 14-inch laptop—the Acer Swift 5 SF514-55TA-74EC.
It is temptingly priced; optimistically, you can claim it has a sub-$1200 price range. Within, this laptop houses an Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor, 16GB RAM, and 1TB of SSD storage.
While these seem to be basic specs, they prove to be adequate for day to day tasks like checking your e-mail or completing assignments for school and work.
The 11th gen i7 processor is quite sturdy and multitasking-friendly, delivering a satisfactory processing speed and efficiency. This laptop also has a fairly pleasant display comprising an FHD screen, an IPS panel, and a multi-touch provision.
A particularly noteworthy feature of this computer is its multimedia prowess. Equipped with Dolby Audio and the Acer TrueHarmony technology, it succeeds in delivering true-blue sound that elevates any content you playback.
The experience belies the fact that it is a 14-inch laptop designed to run on the go. Another powerful innovation you can experience with this laptop is the Acer Color Intelligence technology—it makes everything vivid, sharper, and captivating.
On the portability front, this 14-inch laptop is tremendous. It weighs 2.31lbs which makes it one of the lightest on our list. Its profile is also astonishingly lean at 0.59”; so, slipping it into backpacks will not be a hassle at all.
You can stay connected with peers and colleagues via Skype, issue voice commands through Cortana, and log in with only your fingerprint via Windows Hello—all quite useful when you are working outdoors.
It is just the battery backup that somewhat reduces its utility as a take-me-with-you machine: it lasts for eight hours, less than many other options on this list.
- 10 Best 13 Inch Laptops
- 10 Best 15 Inch Laptops
- Top 10 Best Ultrabooks 2021
- The 10 Best Laptops for College Students
Why Get a 14-inch Laptop over a 13-inch or 15-inch One
Have you been using a 13-inch laptop? You have probably fallen head over heels with the compact construction of your device and its effortless portability.
Likewise, if you have been working on a 15-inch laptop, you are unlikely to feel satisfied with anything that delivers a less enchanting display, specs as powerful, and usage as ergonomic.
But this is where a 14-inch laptop successfully combines the best of both worlds and provides an experience that suits contemporary lifestyles to a T.
It has adequate power and a reasonably-sized display without being unwieldy; indeed, many 14-inchers have NVIDIA GPUs and Intel i7 processors.
A standout reason to opt for a 14-inch laptop is its gaming excellence. If you are a gamer, a 13-inch laptop might not satisfy you.
The market doesn’t yet abound in 13-inch gaming laptops, so you will be hard pressed to find one with competent specs, long-lasting battery, and high-quality display.
A 15-inch laptop will deliver on all these counts, but it will also cost you a great deal more while being bulkier. Many 14-inch laptops manage to offer a pleasant gaming experience.
Another triumph of the 14-inch form factor is a comfortable keyboard that is easy to type on, even for long typing tasks. Some people find that 13-inch laptops have cramped keyboards that offer very little space to rest your fingers.
On the other hand, many 15-inch laptops offer keyboards with small and loosely spaced keys. A 14-inch laptop achieves a balance with an intelligent design that is convenient especially for those who type away for hours on end.
Six Things in Any 14-inch Laptop Worth its Salt
If you have chosen to opt for a 14-inch laptop, do ensure you purchase one that offers well-rounded performance in both processing and display.
The USP of a 14-inch laptop is the manner in which it blends the brilliance of its larger cousin (15”) with the mobility of its smaller sibling (13”).
So, be careful when you shell out money for a 14-inch laptop (with luck, you should find a good deal in the range of $800–$1200).
Here are six things you must definitely seek in a quality 14-inch laptop:
- High-speed processing delivered through an Intel Core i5 processor or above, complemented by at least 8GB RAM and 256GB of storage space.
- Superior graphics delivered through integrated Intel graphics or, if you desire exceptional imagery, a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card.
- Long-lasting battery life of at least 8–10 hours to guarantee that your laptop is portable and doesn’t have you hunting for charging stations for the greater part of the day.
- An FHD (Full High Definition) display (or above), preferably with support for In-Plane Switching (IPS). Some laptops also offer an anti-glare screen, a wide viewing angle, and high refresh rates.
- A lightweight build in the range of 2.2–3.5lbs and thickness of 0.5–0.7” so that you can easily lug your laptop along with you.
- An easy-to-use keyboard with a key-travel distance that isn’t harsh on your fingers and convenient spacing of keys for typing speed and comfort (Read: 10 best laptop with backlit keyboard).
Market Overview: 14″ Laptop Brands to Choose From
As the demand for portable computing has risen, more and more computer makers have jumped onto the bandwagon. You can find several brands with interesting line-ups of 15” and 14” laptops.
Indeed, many have also come up with 11” and 13” laptops—hyper-mobile notebooks intended for fast-paced lifestyles. This competitive dynamic bodes brilliantly for consumers as they get several options to choose from.
You can find budget-friendly picks starting as cheap as under $300. You can also purchase 14” laptops tailored to multimedia needs such as editing, content creation, and streaming.
Most top manufacturers now have stakes in the 14” marketplace. Among the leading brands are Acer, Asus, HP, Huawei, Lenovo, and MSI. Here are a few highlights to give you an overview of your options:
- Asus: This brand has a clear edge when it comes to portable computing. You can find lightweight, sleek laptops that nonetheless offer cutting-edge features like screenpads, dedicated numeric keypads, and ergonomic hinges.
- MSI: If you plan to use your laptop for creative pursuits like film-making and photo editing, MSI has excellent options for you. Many 14” laptops from the MSI stables offer dedicated graphics, brilliant colors, and an engaging visual experience.
- HP: HP will appeal to the cost-conscious crowd that also wants to maximize performance, responsiveness and durability. You can easily find cheap 14” HP laptops that are incredibly responsive, portable, and have long-lasting batteries.
- Huawei: If you want a high-performing, all-rounder 14” laptop, Huawei can serve you well. Its MateBook line-up offers competent processing, immersive displays, good sound output, and long battery life. You can even enjoy dedicated graphics and security features like fingerprint-based login.
- Lenovo: Smart design, flexibility of usage, and a host of innovative features set Lenovo 14” laptops apart. The convertible design is particularly useful, letting you use the laptop as a tablet, full workstation, entertainment portal, etc. Lenovo has also invested in good-quality sound. Dolby Atmos helps deliver an enthralling auditory experience even in compact 14” computers.
What to Expect in a 14” Laptop
The 14” size has become incredibly popular with many audiences today for the deft manner in which it combines portability with functionality. If you have decided to venture out and bring home one of these notebooks, here is a ready list of the configuration and other features you should seek.
- The processing compartment: Most laptops in this space offer upwards of an Intel Core i5 processor supported by at least 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage. More powerful machines employ an Intel Core i7 CPU with 8GB RAM and SSD storage to the tune of 512GB. The advantage of getting an SSD is improved read/write speed along with a lower rate of wear and tear.
You can find computers with equivalent AMD processors; they will come in cheaper than their Intel counterparts. The primary consideration is to seek a CPU that can efficiently handle your daily computing activities.
So, if your usage is CPU-draining—for example, wireless streaming or multitasking on spreadsheets—you will have to invest in a meatier processing compartment.
- Display and graphics: You can easily find 14” laptops with FHD screens, support for IPS, and an optimal screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. On the budget end of the spectrum are laptops with HD monitors and a screen resolution of 1366 x 768.
If you get a computer with a narrow bezel, you can effectively maximize the available screen real estate. This lets you work, watch videos, etc., in a highly compelling experience.
In fact, some laptops have a screen-to-body ratio as high as 92%! This dispels all fears about a 14” screen being too small for comfort.
Also, depending on your budget and requirements, you can choose between integrated and dedicated graphics.
If you need to engage in activities like multimedia editing or content creation, you stand to benefit from a dedicated graphics processor like NVIDIA GeForce MX250.
Note: Not many 14” laptops offer dedicated graphics. You will also need to account for a higher budget if you do opt for a GPU.
Another choice you need to make pertains to touch. For portable laptops and those that allow multi-mode use (tablets), a touch display can come in handy. You typically don’t need a touchscreen if you plan to use the laptop as a stationary workstation.
- The sound chamber: While 14” laptops are high on mobility, many of them manage to deliver good sound. If audio quality is high up on your list, look for Dolby Atmos sound, large speakers, and spacious resonant chambers. Some laptops utilize a hinge-based design which also enhances the sound output, besides easing the heat dissipation and improving your typing comfort.
- Battery backup: Reasonably long unplugged usage is important for a 14” laptop since portability is one of its main draws. Look for battery backup of eight hours and above. You can even find notebooks that offer 15 hours of power on a single charge. If you get a quick-charging battery, you can work freely from anywhere, powering up whenever you get the chance.
- Build and construction: Lightweight but sturdy is the way to go here. A standard 14” laptop weighs about 2–4lbs, which is easy to carry around with you. Also, check that the profile is thin enough to slide into backpacks. If you are a frequent traveler, you can also get military-standard construction for extra durability during traveling.
- Security: This is a direct offset of portability and working in shared environments. For your 14” device to be secure and keep your data confidential, you need a dependable security provision such as HP’s Bios. Some laptops come with a fingerprint reader that allows password-free login. The added biometric security makes a great deal of a difference when you are working in a collaborative setting like a shared office.
The above is the bare minimum you should seek in a standard 14” laptop. Besides these features, you should also look for ample device support and connectivity options such as USB ports, HDMI ports, and Wi-Fi compatibility.
A well-built keyboard is yet another deal-maker, especially if you are a programmer, writer, etc., who makes extensive use of those buttons all day long.
Some 14” computers offer keyboards with dedicated numeric keypads. These are useful for anyone who frequently inputs numbers for data entry, mathematical computation, and associated activities.
The Long and Short of It
With changing times, designs and specifications of computing devices may vary. But one thing that eternally remains essential is the comfort of usage.
A 14-inch laptop has emerged as a candidate deserving of the attention of the millennial, particularly for the way it optimizes performance and design.
Not only do you get a machine that is mighty enough to cater to everyday pursuits as well as demanding endeavors, but the device is also free of the challenges of limited space, cramped peripherals, and sub-par display and graphics.
Moreover, these devices have proved to possess a knack for adaptability; you can find a pick that doubles up as a gaming companion, a binge-watch specialist, a school-assignment expert, or a work-commitment champion.
As 14-inch laptops become popular, other computer manufacturers are expected to announce their offerings in this space.
Until then, you would be safe with one of the laptops on this list since all of them come from well-established families with a long history of manufacturing dependable yet modern laptops.
Pick one according to the priority closest to your heart—budget, battery life, processing power, lightweight design, customized requirements, you name it.