If there is one aspect of design that computer manufacturers have really experimented with, it is size. From mammoth computers that took up an entire room to store to tiny, lithe machines that can fit into backpacks, computers have truly transformed with time.
Not only are these machines leaner and meaner but they are also built on the intuitive utility of a mid-sized form factor.
Today, many top computer makers have launched 14-inch models for their popular product line-ups.
Brands like Acer, ASUS, MSI and Lenovo have perfectly competent offerings that can fuel up your life, complete day to day tasks, as well as fire up your imagination with gaming, multimedia creation and editing.
At the face of it, these mid-sized laptops seem to be a good balance for those who find 15-inch computers too big and 13-inch computers way too tiny.
But how powerful, really, is a mid-sized laptop? Does it genuinely achieve a golden mean between its edgier counterparts or boil down to being an average, flash in the pan innovation that doesn’t deliver on its promise?
In this exhaustive review of the top 14-inch laptops of the present times, we discuss the merits of these machines and how far they optimize their unique form factor.
We also discuss the considerations you must keep in mind while purchasing a 14-inch laptop as well as enlist the front-runners in the race.
With changing times, laptops have also evolved constantly. While large screens used to dominate the space at a time, the marketplace now abounds in computers with 15.6”, 14”, and 13” monitors. The smaller screen size directly improves portability, making the computer better suited to the grind of daily life.
Today, 14” laptops are trendy, even though some maintain that they rank behind their 15.6” cousins. But if you travel often and your day involves considerable working on the go, you should be able to derive a lot from a 14” form factor.
This is largely why you can find these notebooks all around you—from office spaces to cafes, from college campuses to hostel rooms. Manufacturers have started creating them in different designs and models too, such as convertibles and 2-in-1 laptops.
Choosing a laptop can be a complicated decision. There are multiple aspects to consider, from the screen size and the processing configuration to the display and the acoustics. In this article, we attempt to drill deep down into the world of 14” laptops and enlist some of the very best ones to choose from.
- Our Picks: 10 Best 14 Inch Laptops 2022
- 1. Lenovo Flex 5 2-in-1 Convertible 14-inch Laptop
- 2. Acer Swift 3 SF314-43 Budget 14 Inch Laptop
- 3. Razer Blade 14 2022 14 Inch Gaming Laptop
- 4. ASUS ZenBook 14X 14-inch OLED Laptop
- 5. Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (14-inch)
- 6. Dell Inspiron 14 Plus 7420
- 7. HP Pavilion Plus Budget 14-inch Laptop
- 8. ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 (Best Dual-screen)
- 9. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10 (14-inch)
- 10. Acer Swift 3 SF314-512 14-inch Laptop
- Why Get a 14-inch Laptop over a 13-inch or 15-inch One
- Six Things in Any 14-inch Laptop Worth its Salt
- Market Overview: 14″ Laptop Brands to Choose From
- What to Expect in a 14” Laptop
- The Long and Short of It
Our Picks: 10 Best 14 Inch Laptops 2022
Whether you require a computing partner for home or business, creative endeavors or entertainment, the chances are that there will be something on this list that fits right in.
Best 14 Inch Laptop – Recommended Specs
|Processor||Intel Core i7-1280P (up to 4.7GHz)|
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U (up to 4.3GHz)
|Graphics||Intel Iris Xe Graphics|
AMD Radeon Graphics
|Memory||16GB LPDDR4X RAM|
|Storage||512GB NVMe SSD|
|Display||14″ Full HD (1920 x 1080)|
Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
|Weight||Under 4 lbs.|
|Battery||Up to 15 Hours|
|OS||Windows 11 Home|
These 14-inch laptops claim to be just right for students, professionals, travelers, and gamer. They are also available in budgets that are more affordable than lofty.
1. Lenovo Flex 5 2-in-1 Convertible 14-inch Laptop
Highlight: If an AMD device is what you have been looking for in the 14” space, then the Lenovo Flex 5 2-in-1 convertible laptop can be an excellent choice.
It comes with a touchscreen display that lets you use a stylus to interact with the display according to your needs (read note-taking, doodling, the works).
The active pen is included with the purchase, so you don’t need to incur additional expenditure to avail of this provision.
This convertible comes with an FHD screen with a full resolution of 1920 x 1080. The graphics support is for Radeon Graphics. The snazziest part about the display is that it adapts to the situation excellently.
So, while the laptop mode is best-suited for day-to-day computing, you can switch to the stand mode for watching A/V content and the tent mode for sharing things with peers and colleagues.
Driving this laptop is an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U CPU, supported by 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. The AMD processor is quite adept at multitasking; it also supports endeavors such as multimedia editing.
Bonus: While the battery backup is not exceptional at 12 hours, you do get a quick charging option that lets you power up to 80% in only one hour.
The commitment to security on this device is admirable. It offers a fingerprint reader for touch-based security, which comes in handy in shared working spaces. We particularly love the webcam privacy shutter (TrueBlock).
It lets you physically close the webcam when it is not in use. No more fear of your boss catching you watching Netflix in your PJs when you are supposed to be working from home!
What about mobility and device support? Well, at 3.31lbs and 0.7”, the portability quotient is quite high. And since this laptop has inbuilt USB-C ports, USB 3.3 ports as well as an HDMI, you can connect to devices or external displays in a snap.
2. Acer Swift 3 SF314-43 Budget 14 Inch Laptop
For seekers of portability and connectivity, the Acer Swift 3 SF314-43 is a good and affordable choice in the 14” laptop marketplace.
Fairly lightweight at 2.65lbs and offering up to 12 hours of battery backup, this laptop is suited to travel.
It also has an excellent array of connectivity options such as a full-function USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 as well as an HDMI port.
Performance-wise, this Acer laptop is quite competent at handling day-to-day tasks, thanks to the AMD Ryzen 7 5700U processor. You get 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD to stock your data. The display is especially promising: a narrow bezel design, a screen-to-body ratio of 85.73%, and an IPS panel.
Bonus: This computer scores on the responsiveness front. It comes with an inbuilt fingerprint reader, a backlit keyboard, and support for wake-on-voice. You can also avail of digital assistance via Cortana.
3. Razer Blade 14 2022 14 Inch Gaming Laptop
The Razer Blade 14 sure has style! With its almost frameless design—thanks to the thin bezel. The screen comes with 100% DCI-P3 color space on QHD model.
If you long for a laptop whose display is truly worth diving into, you might have just found your match. Did we mention this device has NVIDIA graphics?
Apart from the charming display, this computer also wins hearts with its latest AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti GPU that fulfills even intensive tasks like a pro. The RAM support is for 16GB while the storage on offer is 1TB SSD.
Although this 14-inch gaming laptop is choc-a-bloc with fancy features, it does not lose out on mobility. Weight-wise, it packs in 3.92lbs. You can lug it along in style; your shoulders won’t mind the load.
4. ASUS ZenBook 14X 14-inch OLED Laptop
An upgrade from the standard 1200p visuals, the ASUS ZenBook 14X laptop is a visionary and innovative model from the brand.
Powered by the 12th Gen. Intel Core i7-1260P processor and NVIDIA GeForce MX550 graphics, performance isn’t a factor the users have to compromise.
The standard 14” WQXGA+ OLED touchscreen display panel features 1800p screen resolution with 400 nits brightness and responsive touch display.
Pair that with the nano bezels around the screen and you won’t have to compromise on the visuals with this one.
However, the innovative 5.65-inch interactive touchscreen trackpad isn’t the most comfortable feature in the device. It does allow smart control and multitasking but is quite a restrictive feature that isn’t ideal for every user.
Despite a few lacking innovations in the specifications, the ZenBook 14X features 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM configuration that suffices easy app boot-up and data transfer and multitasking experience.
It comes pre-loaded with Windows 11 Home for easy access to all the latest applications for effective productivity.
- Improved visual configurations
- Supports optimal multitasking
- Narrow-bezelled display panel
- Pre-loaded with Windows 11
- Supports smart control
- Touchscreen trackpad is difficult to program
- Overpriced compared to the specs
5. Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (14-inch)
The 2021 Apple MacBook Pro, which was released a few weeks back, has turned heads and is currently the best made MacBook till date.
The device is supercharged for the pros, enabling users to experience blazing fast performance with the latest M1 Pro or M1 Max chipset.
Besides the processing power, the device also provides with immaculate battery life, which is a bonus.
The laptop is equipped with a 14-inch Liquid Retina XDR display for superior visuals like you have never once experienced before.
It provides up to 1600 nits brightness for superior detailing, bringing out the depths in color with the whites and blacks.
Best part of this latest launch is the availability of up to 8TB SSD of storage with up to 64GB RAM that allows you to store your data and manage your apps and performance with efficiency.
As for the battery life, it provides with up to 21 hours of immaculate battery life.
6. Dell Inspiron 14 Plus 7420
The Dell Inspiron 14 Plus 7420 is another popular and mid-range priced laptop with a compact 14” display panel that makes it perfect to carry and work on the go. Featuring a corporate chic aluminum construction, the laptop looks premium and is quite comfortable to hold.
It is powered by the 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700H processor with up to 4.70 GHz Turbo Boost technology for the ultimate processing power. Not just that, the model is also backed with the Intel Iris Xe graphics for rendering the videos and games promptly.
The highlight of this model is the compact yet vibrant 14” 2.2K display panel with 1400p screen resolution, anti-glare panel and no touch display. It is also backed with ComfortView Plus Support for a soothing visual experience.
As far as storage and memory goes, the Inspiron 14 Plus 7420 is integrated with 1TB SSD storage and 16GB DDR5 RAM configuration that executes intensive programs seamlessly and without any lags and delays. It runs on Windows 11 OS and supports Intel Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2.
Reasons to buy
- Premium and modern design
- 2.2K display panel
- Faster bootup with SSD storage
Reasons to avoid
- Speaker system is average
- A bit bulky design
7. HP Pavilion Plus Budget 14-inch Laptop
The HP Pavilion Plus is fairly new launch that is turning heads from side to side. If you are on the lookout for an all-in-one laptop with some of the best features and functionalities, this is it.
Not only does it come with the reliability of HP, it also brings around a series of latest specifications to die for.
This lightweight and portable model is powered by the latest 12th Gen Intel Core processor with Intel Iris Xe graphics that provides an immersive performance for the content creators, business professionals and students alike.
It is a heavy-duty model featuring a 14” FHD display with 1080p screen resolution and narrow-edge bezels all around for an expansive viewing experience. The combination of 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM further contributes to uninterrupted performance and superior multitasking without any buffers in between.
Besides that, HP has also programmed the model with the latest Windows 11 OS for access to all the latest Microsoft applications, themes and layout.
Reasons to buy
- Sleek and portable design
- Immersive display panel
- Superior multitasking support
Reasons to avoid
- Port selection is disappointing
- Color reproduction is subpar
8. ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 (Best Dual-screen)
If there is one hi-tech device with the 14” dual screen, the ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 is hands down the one that you just can’t do without.
The combination of the 14” full HD nanoedge display with a glossy finish is the main device.
The second display with 12.6” matte touchscreen helps with easier multitasking experience by extending the screen without any hassle at all.
Next up on the configuration of the device is the 11th generation Intel Core i7-1195G7 Processor along with Intel Iris Xe GPU for an improved user experience. It lets you tackle multiple applications at once without any issues that you will likely face around.
The best thing about this device is likely the fast storage and memory including the 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD along with 8GB RAM for smoother productivity and performance.
The design of this device is not the traditional one and comes with the ErgoLift design that ensures a comfortable typing experience with optimised cooling system.
It also comes with all the necessary connectivity options that ensure faster data transfer and seamless user experience. It does support the USB-C ports, if that is perfect for smoother performance.
9. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10 (14-inch)
For the business professionals out there looking for the best laptop for their everyday need, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10 (14-inch) is one of the best ones around.
The rugged look with the all-black interior and exterior makes this device a standout among all the available options. It is also quite lightweight, ensuring that you wouldn’t have to compromise on the device’s portability.
The device supports up to 14” WQUXGA 4K display has a screen resolution of 3840 x 2400 pixels. It is powered by the 12th Generation Intel Core i7-1280P Processor with vPro for smoother and unmatched performance beyond your imagination.
In case you are wondering how good the storage and memory options are, it is programmed with up to 1TB SSD for storage along with 16GB RAM for memory options. It runs on up to Windows 11 Pro operating system.
10. Acer Swift 3 SF314-512 14-inch Laptop
With the Acer Swift 3 SF314-512, users get a taste of mid-range price point and powerful performance, all packed into one.
Available in a few display options, Swift 3 is a staple bestseller from Acer and rightfully so. The device is built on the Intel Evo platform to offer the best in responsive performance, productivity and battery life.
The model is powered by the 12th Gen Intel Core i7-1260P processor with Intel Iris Xe graphics that deliver superior performance wherever you go. Backed with the Turbo Boost technology that can support up to 4.7GHz high-speed performance to tackle the most demanding applications.
In terms of display, the Swift 3 is equipped with a 14” QHD IPS wide-screen display with 1440p screen resolution with 300 nits brightness and 16:9 aspect ratio. The overall performance of the laptop is further accelerated with the combination of 512GB SSD storage and 16GB RAM that redefines the multitasking experience for the users.
The Swift 3 also features a thin and light aluminum construction with a fingerprint reader for optimal security. It runs on the Windows 11 OS.
Reasons to buy
- Sleek and durable design
- Responsive processing power
- QHD display panel
Reasons to avoid
- Webcam is average
- Aspect ratio makes the display cramped
- 10 Best 13 Inch Laptops
- 10 Best 15 Inch Laptops
- Top 10 Best Ultrabooks 2022
- The 10 Best Laptops for College Students
Why Get a 14-inch Laptop over a 13-inch or 15-inch One
Have you been using a 13-inch laptop? You have probably fallen head over heels with the compact construction of your device and its effortless portability.
Likewise, if you have been working on a 15-inch laptop, you are unlikely to feel satisfied with anything that delivers a less enchanting display, specs as powerful, and usage as ergonomic.
But this is where a 14-inch laptop successfully combines the best of both worlds and provides an experience that suits contemporary lifestyles to a T.
It has adequate power and a reasonably-sized display without being unwieldy; indeed, many 14-inchers have NVIDIA GPUs and Intel i7 processors.
A standout reason to opt for a 14-inch laptop is its gaming excellence. If you are a gamer, a 13-inch laptop might not satisfy you.
The market doesn’t yet abound in 13-inch gaming laptops, so you will be hard pressed to find one with competent specs, long-lasting battery, and high-quality display.
A 15-inch laptop will deliver on all these counts, but it will also cost you a great deal more while being bulkier. Many 14-inch laptops manage to offer a pleasant gaming experience.
Another triumph of the 14-inch form factor is a comfortable keyboard that is easy to type on, even for long typing tasks. Some people find that 13-inch laptops have cramped keyboards that offer very little space to rest your fingers.
On the other hand, many 15-inch laptops offer keyboards with small and loosely spaced keys. A 14-inch laptop achieves a balance with an intelligent design that is convenient especially for those who type away for hours on end.
Six Things in Any 14-inch Laptop Worth its Salt
If you have chosen to opt for a 14-inch laptop, do ensure you purchase one that offers well-rounded performance in both processing and display.
The USP of a 14-inch laptop is the manner in which it blends the brilliance of its larger cousin (15”) with the mobility of its smaller sibling (13”).
So, be careful when you shell out money for a 14-inch laptop (with luck, you should find a good deal in the range of $800–$1200).
Here are six things you must definitely seek in a quality 14-inch laptop:
- High-speed processing delivered through an Intel Core i5 processor or above, complemented by at least 8GB RAM and 256GB of storage space.
- Superior graphics delivered through integrated Intel graphics or, if you desire exceptional imagery, a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card.
- Long-lasting battery life of at least 8–10 hours to guarantee that your laptop is portable and doesn’t have you hunting for charging stations for the greater part of the day.
- An FHD (Full High Definition) display (or above), preferably with support for In-Plane Switching (IPS). Some laptops also offer an anti-glare screen, a wide viewing angle, and high refresh rates.
- A lightweight build in the range of 2.2–3.5lbs and thickness of 0.5–0.7” so that you can easily lug your laptop along with you.
- An easy-to-use keyboard with a key-travel distance that isn’t harsh on your fingers and convenient spacing of keys for typing speed and comfort (Read: 10 best laptop with backlit keyboard).
Market Overview: 14″ Laptop Brands to Choose From
As the demand for portable computing has risen, more and more computer makers have jumped onto the bandwagon. You can find several brands with interesting line-ups of 15” and 14” laptops.
Indeed, many have also come up with 11” and 13” laptops—hyper-mobile notebooks intended for fast-paced lifestyles. This competitive dynamic bodes brilliantly for consumers as they get several options to choose from.
You can find budget-friendly picks starting as cheap as under $300. You can also purchase 14” laptops tailored to multimedia needs such as editing, content creation, and streaming.
Most top manufacturers now have stakes in the 14” marketplace. Among the leading brands are Acer, Asus, HP, Huawei, Lenovo, and MSI. Here are a few highlights to give you an overview of your options:
- Asus: This brand has a clear edge when it comes to portable computing. You can find lightweight, sleek laptops that nonetheless offer cutting-edge features like screenpads, dedicated numeric keypads, and ergonomic hinges.
- MSI: If you plan to use your laptop for creative pursuits like film-making and photo editing, MSI has excellent options for you. Many 14” laptops from the MSI stables offer dedicated graphics, brilliant colors, and an engaging visual experience.
- HP: HP will appeal to the cost-conscious crowd that also wants to maximize performance, responsiveness and durability. You can easily find cheap 14” HP laptops that are incredibly responsive, portable, and have long-lasting batteries.
- Huawei: If you want a high-performing, all-rounder 14” laptop, Huawei can serve you well. Its MateBook line-up offers competent processing, immersive displays, good sound output, and long battery life. You can even enjoy dedicated graphics and security features like fingerprint-based login.
- Lenovo: Smart design, flexibility of usage, and a host of innovative features set Lenovo 14” laptops apart. The convertible design is particularly useful, letting you use the laptop as a tablet, full workstation, entertainment portal, etc. Lenovo has also invested in good-quality sound. Dolby Atmos helps deliver an enthralling auditory experience even in compact 14” computers.
What to Expect in a 14” Laptop
The 14” size has become incredibly popular with many audiences today for the deft manner in which it combines portability with functionality. If you have decided to venture out and bring home one of these notebooks, here is a ready list of the configuration and other features you should seek.
- The processing compartment: Most laptops in this space offer upwards of an Intel Core i5 processor supported by at least 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage. More powerful machines employ an Intel Core i7 CPU with 8GB RAM and SSD storage to the tune of 512GB. The advantage of getting an SSD is improved read/write speed along with a lower rate of wear and tear.
You can find computers with equivalent AMD processors; they will come in cheaper than their Intel counterparts. The primary consideration is to seek a CPU that can efficiently handle your daily computing activities.
So, if your usage is CPU-draining—for example, wireless streaming or multitasking on spreadsheets—you will have to invest in a meatier processing compartment.
- Display and graphics: You can easily find 14” laptops with FHD screens, support for IPS, and an optimal screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. On the budget end of the spectrum are laptops with HD monitors and a screen resolution of 1366 x 768.
If you get a computer with a narrow bezel, you can effectively maximize the available screen real estate. This lets you work, watch videos, etc., in a highly compelling experience.
In fact, some laptops have a screen-to-body ratio as high as 92%! This dispels all fears about a 14” screen being too small for comfort.
Also, depending on your budget and requirements, you can choose between integrated and dedicated graphics.
If you need to engage in activities like multimedia editing or content creation, you stand to benefit from a dedicated graphics processor like NVIDIA GeForce MX250.
Note: Not many 14” laptops offer dedicated graphics. You will also need to account for a higher budget if you do opt for a GPU.
Another choice you need to make pertains to touch. For portable laptops and those that allow multi-mode use (tablets), a touch display can come in handy. You typically don’t need a touchscreen if you plan to use the laptop as a stationary workstation.
- The sound chamber: While 14” laptops are high on mobility, many of them manage to deliver good sound. If audio quality is high up on your list, look for Dolby Atmos sound, large speakers, and spacious resonant chambers. Some laptops utilize a hinge-based design which also enhances the sound output, besides easing the heat dissipation and improving your typing comfort.
- Battery backup: Reasonably long unplugged usage is important for a 14” laptop since portability is one of its main draws. Look for battery backup of eight hours and above. You can even find notebooks that offer 15 hours of power on a single charge. If you get a quick-charging battery, you can work freely from anywhere, powering up whenever you get the chance.
- Build and construction: Lightweight but sturdy is the way to go here. A standard 14” laptop weighs about 2–4lbs, which is easy to carry around with you. Also, check that the profile is thin enough to slide into backpacks. If you are a frequent traveler, you can also get military-standard construction for extra durability during traveling.
- Security: This is a direct offset of portability and working in shared environments. For your 14” device to be secure and keep your data confidential, you need a dependable security provision such as HP’s Bios. Some laptops come with a fingerprint reader that allows password-free login. The added biometric security makes a great deal of a difference when you are working in a collaborative setting like a shared office.
The above is the bare minimum you should seek in a standard 14” laptop. Besides these features, you should also look for ample device support and connectivity options such as USB ports, HDMI ports, and Wi-Fi compatibility.
A well-built keyboard is yet another deal-maker, especially if you are a programmer, writer, etc., who makes extensive use of those buttons all day long.
Some 14” computers offer keyboards with dedicated numeric keypads. These are useful for anyone who frequently inputs numbers for data entry, mathematical computation, and associated activities.
The Long and Short of It
With changing times, designs and specifications of computing devices may vary. But one thing that eternally remains essential is the comfort of usage.
A 14-inch laptop has emerged as a candidate deserving of the attention of the millennial, particularly for the way it optimizes performance and design.
Not only do you get a machine that is mighty enough to cater to everyday pursuits as well as demanding endeavors, but the device is also free of the challenges of limited space, cramped peripherals, and sub-par display and graphics.
Moreover, these devices have proved to possess a knack for adaptability; you can find a pick that doubles up as a gaming companion, a binge-watch specialist, a school-assignment expert, or a work-commitment champion.
As 14-inch laptops become popular, other computer manufacturers are expected to announce their offerings in this space.
Until then, you would be safe with one of the laptops on this list since all of them come from well-established families with a long history of manufacturing dependable yet modern laptops.
Pick one according to the priority closest to your heart—budget, battery life, processing power, lightweight design, customized requirements, you name it.